Bearing diagnosis

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Re: Bearing diagnosis

Post by 77cruiser »

Newold1 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:42 pm Was this cam in this engine a snout type with a retainer plate or an early style without? If no camshaft retainer was a camshaft thrust button used to stop camshaft walking forward? With those teeth breaking off there must have been some pretty good metal in the oil and the piston skirts and cylinder bores must be pretty scratched up with all that iron running around. I don't think oil pressure was great, not bad but not necessarily great. I not a believer in using Rotella diesel oil in such an engine. Its obvious from the bearing wear patterns and examples on those bearing sample pictures that things were not great from the start and not sure if line boring or honing was needed and done or how straight the crankshaft was or how prepared the crankshaft journals were on initial machining. Also if the torquing of rods and mains were not done correctly the wear patterns can obviously point to incorrect crush loads on those bearings.In any event from these pics I would also say things can be redone with some careful rework and assembly and the engine can do better next time.
Early style but it was flat tappet. The pistons & bores look pretty good, surprisingly.
Jim
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:56 pm Modok----when you said there is no constant but change, there has never been a statement spoken that is TRUER !! Mark H.
That is good!
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

To me the mains clearance looks like it was in the ballpark, but needs the caps tightened & a line hone.
Rod brg clearance was on the loose side - wear is too central & doesn't extend far enough up the side.

Stuffed balancer is also obviously an issue & probably explains the loose caps & hurt cam gear.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »