Lets Talk Tunnel Rams / Carbs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Casper393W
Pro
Pro
Lets Talk Tunnel Rams / Carbs

Post by Casper393W »

I know a lot has been written about tunnel rams over the years. I am building a 393w with David Vizard to go in my 1971 F100. I am running the old Weiand Hi-Ram / Price Motorsports adapters, with a set of BLP worked over Holley 1850's with stepped down leg boosters. While this is going to be a hot street strip type deal plus still serve the purpose of a truck... I want it to run the best it can at the track. Would the old Holley 660's still provide a gain at the track?? I would love to see how a set of 660's modified with better boosters would play out...

Now that Holley has the new Hi-Ram for the 351w we are planning on doing a head to head test vs the 302 HI-Ram and plates.

Please share your input,

Andy
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Lets Talk Tunnel Rams / Carbs

Post by tjs44 »

I would check with Big Joe,he has done so much work over the years with tunnel rams.Im almost betting he says bigger carbs.Tom
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

I wouldn't use an 1850 on anything.

The 660's are obsolete IMO. Lots of guys love them. I never did.

I'd use 2 750's and make sure you can tune them, as in changeable bleeds and emulsion. I'd rather see two Proforms on there than either of what you are talking about.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Yes it seems like every t ram test I have seen over the years is either good or bad and it all depends on what t ram and carb combo is used.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I helped out a guy with a T Ram that he thought he had it all dialed in. He was using two 600 double pumpers. When I let him use two of my 660 carbs, he picked up four MPH and five tenths of a second at the track. He could not believe how much faster it was with the right carbs

JOE HERMAN RACING
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

are you wanting the carbs to be inline or sideways ? I just put a t-ram on a 540 BBC and used a pair of the new holley track warrior 750 carbs. I'll be learning from this thread has well.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Ya the 660's are so obsolete that I would be happy to pay the shipping if you want to get rid of them...... :lol:
GURU is only a name.
Adam
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Not near enough specific info on the engine details and car-truck-drivetrain details to decide on carbs.
Target horsepower, Rpm range, transmission/converter etc etc.

Of the non race competition carb choices (street carbs) the 1850's would not be my first choice.
Lots of other better stuff for this.

Of the racey competition carbs I'd look at a pair of self built 750HP type carbs based on Holley-Proform 750 HP carb bodies. The billet metering blocks with swappable emulsion jets are sweet too for this.
It would be nice to have a pair of 660's or other Tunnel ram prepped carbs on hand (borrowed etc) to use as a bench mark to dyno compare against to know where you are at in real performance terms.
The 600vs 1850's will run well especially once dialed in but there are other choices.
They will be neither the fastest carbs nor the sweetest running on the street. IMHO
But good. is good, good enough?
mark_follweiler

Post by mark_follweiler »

statsystems wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:30 pm I wouldn't use an 1850 on anything.

The 660's are obsolete IMO. Lots of guys love them. I never did.

I'd use 2 750's and make sure you can tune them, as in changeable bleeds and emulsion. I'd rather see two Proforms on there than either of what you are talking about.
this guy gets it!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

A comparison of the 2 intake manifolds with various carbs combos would be vary interesting.
Depending on the horsepower and rpm target LEVEL of the engine the Weiand hi ram will probably be out classed by the newer bigger intake unless it is ported maxed out etc.

If it is a relative low power level engine than the Weiand Hi ram will be much more within its
design intention. I believe the intake port runners cross section area is fairly small in todays BIG CID-big cylinder head world terms.
as you will be comparing all this you can post all about it as you get there.

Interesting project.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

af2 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:54 pm Ya the 660's are so obsolete that I would be happy to pay the shipping if you want to get rid of them...... :lol:

I actually threw two in the garbage August 2015. Brand new in the box. Couldn't give them away.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

statsystems wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 pm
af2 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:54 pm Ya the 660's are so obsolete that I would be happy to pay the shipping if you want to get rid of them...... :lol:

I actually threw two in the garbage August 2015. Brand new in the box. Couldn't give them away.
You did not offer them to me. I would have paid shipping. Great for using as a benchmark standard
to compare against other 2x4 carb setups. For those who like to play with such stuff.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

A prime example of " One man's junk is another man's treasure"

This build is going to be different on all accounts...
Vehicle is a 1971 F100 short bed when the hood is up I want you to see 1971-74.... I have worked hard on finding period correct parts for the "look". Oh yeah does anyone have a Fram HPG1 Fuel filter they want to get rid of???

Engine details

D4 block
393w
Solid Roller cam. 245°/ 253° @ .050 .675/.675 ground on a 108 LSA
David Vizard ported heads They have a 195cc intake port runner and flow 315cfm at .675 lift
Good shaft rockers.
10.7 to 1 compression
Weiand Hi-Ram with the 1850's I listed above
Price Motorsports Adapters

Dynamic Racing M2 Built Ford C4
A 9.5 inch TCT converter 4500 stall

Built 9in rear
Strange center section
GForce 31 Spline locker
3.89 street gears
4.88 race gears

Caltrac bars
3900 race weight

Any guesses on power??
We should be on the Dyno within the month
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:21 pm
statsystems wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 pm

You did not offer them to me. I would have paid shipping. Great for using as a benchmark standard
to compare against other 2x4 carb setups. For those who like to play with such stuff.

Pretty sure I put them up on this site. I know I had them on four other sites. No one wanted them.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

A few drag race associations have rules which don't allow sideways mounted carburetors except on Cross-Ram intake manifolds.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.