Exhaust port shape

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wilson1970
Exhaust port shape

Post by wilson1970 »

Do i need to match exhaust port on Sportman 11 heads for 355 SBC to Fel Pro gasket. Currently port is .150 smaller than gasket.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Re: Exhaust port shape

Post by KnightEngines »

No, size the port to suit the motor, not the header.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Its been a while on those, but my vote is no. The opening in the head is very unlikely to be a flow issue. And, making it bigger is just expanding/slowing the flow that hasn't had a chance to reorganize after getting around the valve, guide boss all while executing the turn. From the valve job to, and past the guide and short turn is where I'd concentrate my efforts. But, that's just me. Others may have different approaches.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Don't ever gasket match anything.

What does a gasket know about proper sizing of a port ??

Randy
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Your post is accutally about size, not shape!

That work is not needed ,as the main restriction is the Throat of the valve bowl which had far less area then what is at the flange.

Having that mismatch will also pick you up 3 to 4 % more exh flow above .300" lift and in the process cut back on reversion which will help to make the motor come on the Cam sonner , as in widen the power band!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!