Aftermarket VGS tooling

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

barth bros
Aftermarket VGS tooling

Post by barth bros »

G'day,

I need to purchase new tooling for our VGS20, has anyone used the aftermarket tooling from China?

We are wondering about cutter body quality, hardness, sizing accuracy etc, same with the quality of their carbide pilots!

Thanks Ray
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Aftermarket VGS tooling

Post by PackardV8 »

You might try:

Don Dennis Machinery
(425) 766-1619
homer1590@gmail.com

Tell him Jack Vines sent you. He often has new and used tooling at good prices.

In fact, we have some surplus VGS20 tooling. Specifically, what do you need?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I know a fellow up here that has one of them HTL -60 VGS copies and the tooling is not the same.
Now that said there is a few guys on here that tried some and had no luck.
There is a reliable source that was selling that stuff but I have not talked to him regarding quality and fit or how good the sizing is but I have heard on ST that he dropped the stuff because of fit issues.
As for the pilots they are .390 top not .389 like sunnen is so you will have an issue there.

That said there is another outfit in China that is selling tooling as well but I have no name or contact info but Dan at Cavco Sales is currently selling it. You should call him and talk on the phone with him as he is a Sunnen dealer and a great guy to deal with and he could tell you for sure if its any good or just how good it is.

Now there is another fellow that does make and sell aftermarket sunnen tooling inc. pilots
If you PM me your email I will hook you up with his.

He does tooling for the industry that sells the stuff like goodson regis etc and having purchased some in the past I can say I am still using it.

Pilots are a bulk deal with him last time I got it was a min. order of 5 pilots but you will have to contact him regarding quantities and sizes.

Personally I have been switching over to .375 top pilots and related tooling just for the simple fact that any currently made well known brands of machine manufactures have gone to .375 top because of material and finishing costs and there is some extremely well made quality HSS pilots available from a ST member that sells under the new3acut logo on the net.
very well made and true to within .0001 run out on what he sent me to test. again .375 top :D

Agter its all said and done what is it you are looking for specifically??
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
barth bros

Post by barth bros »

Thanks Guy's,

Appreciate the feed back!

I will try Dan at Carvo's, he was out today when I called.

Time difference between there and here in Western Australia makes for small windows of call time.

Ray
Barth Bros Engines
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I tried one part from THL machine (www.thlmachine.com) and it appeared to be in metric while the Sunnen VGS-20 is standard. Didn't fit. They did take it back and refunded me. Had to mail it to China. But THL Machine is probably the wave of the future as more of the US industry gets out of the automotive industry or switches to the CNC market which many can't afford.
Joe Facciano