Total Seal rings for methanol...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Total Seal rings for methanol...

Post by Krooser »

Anybody have a recommendation for Total Seal rings for an alky endurance engine? Target HP around 650..

I got a part number front them at PRI but it doesn't show up on their web page.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: Total Seal rings for methanol...

Post by statsystems »

Krooser wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:16 am Anybody have a recommendation for Total Seal rings for an alky endurance engine? Target HP around 650..

I got a part number front them at PRI but it doesn't show up on their web page.

Hopefully it's a gapless top ring set.
dennis h
HotPass
HotPass

Post by dennis h »

Call Total Seal and ask for Kevin and do what he says, you will have no problems.He has decades of alky experience. Most of the rings we use have no part #'s on the internet and are customs depending on what they are being used for.

dennis h
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Thanks... I believe it was a gapless top, Napier 2nd... likely have a choice of oil ring?

I've used their stuff before most recently on the blown early Hemi I built for my last hot rod but the rings came with the pistons I got from Venolia.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

I do quite a few methanol engines. Our best solution has been. Gapless top ring, 2nd Napier and use std tension oil ring. Has done better job of keeping alc out of pan. But u will find several thoughts so pick ur medicine
reed
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

racear2865 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:23 am I do quite a few methanol engines. Our best solution has been. Gapless top ring, 2nd Napier and use std tension oil ring. Has done better job of keeping alc out of pan. But u will find several thoughts so pick ur medicine
reed
Thanks
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Krooser
I have a 2300 Ford, that the fellow spins 9200 in the straights on dirt track. Young fellow can drive. Does not get beat unless in a accident. Also running aluminum rods to keep the stock crank alive. Throw them away at end of season. Got a coffee table made of em. Stroker motors cant touch him. But took me for ever to keep alc out of oil and pan. Secret also in what oil to use.
reed
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I can't believe you'd have much trouble with methanol getting into the pan if the carburetor package was reasonably good.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

DaveMcLain wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:37 pm I can't believe you'd have much trouble with methanol getting into the pan if the carburetor package was reasonably good.

Some of the oil contamination with alcohol is using the wrong oil. Even with a good tune up if you use the wrong oil it will still get alcohol by the rings.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

statsystems wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:42 pm
DaveMcLain wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:37 pm I can't believe you'd have much trouble with methanol getting into the pan if the carburetor package was reasonably good.

Some of the oil contamination with alcohol is using the wrong oil. Even with a good tune up if you use the wrong oil it will still get alcohol by the rings.
Different oils have differing abilities to deal with the contamination but if you're getting the engine up to a reasonable operating temperature and its milkshaking the oil your tune up is out to lunch, fancy rings or not.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Use stainless steel top ring, PVD coating; ductile iron Napier second ring; standard tension oil ring assembly. These will hold up quite well, talk to Keith at Total Seal 623.587.7400 to confirm this.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

use a heater like this to boil the alky and water out of the oil. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/kat-s- ... cYEALw_wcB
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Dave,
Im sure you are correct and we have no inkling of what we are doing and our fuel package is way off but I dont remember ever saying I turn the oil milky. Sorry, I dont take type of criticism quite easily, even at my age.
reed
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

My buddy uses a heater just like that...

I agree that Total Seal should be able to help...like I said talked to them at PRI but just for a moment or two. I have an ancient BG carb that the PO of my engine had good luck with. Going to rebuild that and use it as a baseline.

Likely going to use Schaeffer's 20-50.... this engine will be a little loosey-goosey if you know what I mean.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

racear2865 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:46 pm Dave,
Im sure you are correct and we have no inkling of what we are doing and our fuel package is way off but I dont remember ever saying I turn the oil milky. Sorry, I dont take type of criticism quite easily, even at my age.
reed
I'm not being critical of you at all but if its getting a bunch of fuel in the oil the tune up is certainly worth looking into. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and I apologize if I did so.

I've seen that before on methanol where the car ran just fine but it ran out of fuel in a 20 lap feature on a 1/4 mile track with an 18 gallon cell. WOT mixture was fine but part throttle and transition were probably more than 50% too rich which doesn't do any good yet the engine sounded fine. I've seen a methanol package that was so bad it would chug-a-lug, how over rich does it have to be to do that?