General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Camshaft design

Post by hoffman900 »

Stan, thinking about this brought me to this:
Back in my old UltraDyne days, my most popular roller cam was the SB288/296R. It was 288/296 at .020, 255/263 at .050, 176/183 at .200, and .626"/.626" gross valve lift with 1.5s.
With 83 degrees of overlap, it dominated the NDRA for 2 years, driven by Jeff Purvis. IVO 43 BTDC IVC 65 ABDC EVO 76 BBDC EVC 40 ATDC
With 80 degrees of overlap, it won a LOT of races for 20 years.
IVO 41 BTDC IVC 67 ABDC EVO 77 BBDC EVC 39 ATDC
With 76 degrees of overlap, it won 2 of the 3 UltraDyne national wins in the Winston Amatuer National Championship. IVO 41 BTDC IVC 67 ABDC EVO 81 BBDC EVC 35 ATDC
These overlap numbers mean that this cam is either a Street/Strip cam, a Race cam, or a Pro Competition cam, although it is always the same cam, on different LSAs.
Of course, the overlaps are different. Did I decide on the overlap first, then firgure out what the LSA should be, or did I decide on the LSA, then calculate the overlap for the customer?
If you really get into the study of overlap, then you will realize that the area under the overlap curves is more important than the overlap number itself. Obviously, rollers have more Area under the curve than flat tappets, who have more area under the curve than hydraulics, even though the overlap is the same in all the cases.
The area under the curve on the intake opening portion of the overlap has the most overall influence on cylinder filling.
The area under the curve on the exhaust closing portion of the overlap influences the engine mostly at very low engine speed, and it is mainly a function of how many milliseconds after TDC the exhaust valve is open, to allow reversion into the cylinder.

30-60-60-30 270/270 105 LSA 60 overlap
30-70-70-30 280/280 110 LSA 60 overlap
30-80-80-30 290/290 115 LSA 60 overlap

Normally, one would expect these 3 different cams to produce different results, but they all have identical overlap, so??????

UDHarold
It's hard to get past Billy's area comment because you can calculate area of any shape, so you need to think of it in two sides like Harold did. The degrees of overlap are only looking at it from a singular row (think in terms of a lift table of say every .1 degrees). This is highly variable depending on the lift point, so it's easy to throw this out immediately. Getting back to the area, it's not to say a street engine of a certain displacement needs an area of .25*in2, no matter the shape. Harold broke the areas down between opening portion of overlap (intake) and the closing portion of overlap (exhaust). If you think in terms of that, it's easy to see how the shape of the curve will change. He says area, but he was thinking in terms of shape.

An asymmetrical camshaft will totally change the shape of the overlap area for a given centerline. I'm working on putting together some asymmetrical designs together to test them in EngMod4T.

I think it helps to think in terms of pressure differentials. Obviously, real data would be ideal, but with 1D simulations, hopefully we can try to see the effects. That said, the engine is a complex system, so I'm hesitant to isolate the effects of one variable (say intake mass flow for a given overlap area, but varying the shape) because the shape will change other things. Valve seat angles would have an effect on this as well and gets into using say a steeper valve angle on a hemi chamber to help kill a little low lift flow, but keep the centerlines where they want to be elsewhere.

Here is a post from Mike Jones:
Back when I made all my designs symmetrical, I checked centerline off of max lift. I couldn't understand why Harold's cams always wanted to be a couple more degrees advanced then my similar sized cams wanted to be. Harold's were asymmetrical. It turned out, advancing his more put his opening and closing points closer to where mine were.
From everything I've seen, where max lift occurs, isn't as important as where the valve opens and closes.
-Bob
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Back when I made all my designs symmetrical, I checked centerline off of max lift. I couldn't understand why Harold's cams always wanted to be a couple more degrees advanced then my similar sized cams wanted to be. Harold's were asymmetrical. It turned out, advancing his more put his opening and closing points closer to where mine were.
From everything I've seen, where max lift occurs, isn't as important as where the valve opens and closes.
[/quote]

I think that's very true because once the valve is closed it is closed and no more flow will happen in either direction. But really if the max lift point was moved around a few degrees how would it make a heck of a lot of difference to performance? The opening and closing events are more absolute when it comes to the engine.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

DaveMcLain wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 pm
I think that's very true because once the valve is closed it is closed and no more flow will happen in either direction. But really if the max lift point was moved around a few degrees how would it make a heck of a lot of difference to performance? The opening and closing events are more absolute when it comes to the engine.
Because it would effect the entire shape leading up to and down from that point. Billy's comments should extend to not just overlap, but the entire lift curve. It's not so much the area as it is the shape. Remember, you're governed by physical constraints of the system. That may be velocity, acceleration, or jerk. Different types of valvetrains have different thresholds (like a OHC bucket follower vs say a OHV pushrod engine with very long pushrods).

Mike Jones designs his cams this way. He figures out the valve lift curve, then works backwards through the valvetrain geometry to produce a lobe. What he ends up with is entirely contingent on the shape he calculates as well as the valvetrain geometry. That might mean an assymetrical valve lift curve that results in a symmetrical cam lobe or any other combination of the two.

Billy has shared this (example he gave was a sliding follower cam that needed to be ground at 105 LSA to produce 115 LSA at the valves), and Harold also did some design work on OHC Pintos at one point. You also have to make sure the thing is dynamically stable (acceleration shape / values , jerk shape / values, etc. Hertzian stress, can it even be machined?, etc.)

Harold used a design philosophy that any lift before TDC is bad and that the engines does most of its heavy lifting in the first 75* of crank rotation. Harold's cams were very aggressive on the opening side and spent more time coming back down.

Billy Godbold shared that in NASCAR in the late '90s into the 2000s, they spent a lot of time focusing on lift @ BDC. Paraphrasing; for a given duration / centerline, the more lift you can have at BDC the more power you're going to make - almost every time.

As Mike and Harold have both shared here. You can open the valve too fast on the intake side. As Billy has shared, and Mike has said, you sometimes want to slow the valve down to increase velocity. The example Billy gave was on the exhaust side. Makes you wonder about how much would square valve lift profiles really get you?

An engine works off of pressure differentials, if you think in terms of crank rotation and time, it only knows what happened the degree before where it is now, so the lift at every degree (in as small of increments as you want to make them) matter. Not just seat-to-seat and max lift.

For example from Mike Jones:
A restrictor plate cup engine that turns 8,000 rpm runs a 304/312 seat duration cam. A non-restricted cup engine turning 8,000 would require a 304/312 seat duration cam. The non-restricted engine would be pulling in a lot more air at 8,000, yet it would require the same amount of overlap duration. That flies in the face of your theory.

Mike Sloe (spl):
Wouldn't it depend on your definition of "most important"?

Harold defines "most important" as "has the greatest effect on power output". According to this definition, intake close can, in no way, be considered the most important event.

If intake closing was "numero uno", changing it would have the greatest effect on power output. Closing the intake valve, say, 8° late would have a substantial effect. The loss of compression and the addition of reverse flow would murder low end torque.

These thing DO NOT happen. Our torquiest cam is one of Harold's that closes the intake valve 8° later than the the very best Comp grind. It outpowers that same Comp grind throughout the entire power curve, especially on the bottom.

This gain proves that the opening events are MORE IMPORTANT than either closing event. If nothing else, it shows how much effect the opening events have on intake closing.

Intake closing can't possibly be the "most important" if it is affected by the opening events so much, can it?

You CANNOT outpower Harold's truck cam by dicking with the intake closing event. We've tried!!!

This is why intake closing is trumped by BOTH opening events events.

However, the closing ramps do have the greatest effect on dymanic stability, though. The Comp cam would sack a set of springs in one race.

P.S. The Asmus parameters NEVER make the most power, in our engines, at least.

Disclaimer:

These are only the results. I'll leave it to the engineers to explain(or explain away) my observations.

If the theory doesn't match the results, change your theory.
UDHarold wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:02 pm Let us examine 3 cams:

25 BTDC-75 ABDC 280*, 115 LSA/ICL
35 BTDC-75 ABDC 290*, 110 LSA/ICL
45 BTDC-75 ABDC 300*, 105 LSA/ICL

All three close at the identical intake closing point.
Does your common sense tell you they will make the same power, or different power curves, each desireable for different situations?
I have seen unsymmetrical cams, with delayed closing points, make better power than similar duration symmetrical cams, even from my early days at Competition Cams, cira 1977.
My current-designed NASCAR Truck cam shuts the intake valve 8*, right, EIGHT degrees, later than a similar duration cam from a major cam manufacturer.
According to the dyno, my design makes better torque and horsepower, and revs a little higher.
I must being doing something wrong.

UDHarold
UDHarold wrote: thought some of you might like to read part of page 3 from my UltraDyne 1982 cam catalog.

"UltraDyne's unsymmetrical cams are designed as two entirely separate profiles. The opening side is short, to minimize reversion, which is the entry of burned exhaust gases into the intake port. The actual point of opening is critical here. Yet, we still need a large cam after TDC. Therefore we open it fast. If we opened it late, but at a slow or normal rate, the cam would be either too small or be retarded too far, or else have an extremely high acceleration rate, all bad features. By using the highest possible opening rates, we are able to catch cams 6 to 10 degrees larger in duration before they get to TDC. From TDC on throughout the profile an UltraDyne cam acts as if it was 6 to 10 degrees larger than its seat duration.
Isn't this bad? Isn't the cam too big? No! Up to the limits set by port flow and engine geometry, engines love big cam lift and duration. What kills most big cams in engines is the early intake valve opening. The sooner an intake valve opens, the more and higher pressured exhaust gases will enter the intake port and the longer they will delay cylinder filling with a clean air/gas mixture.
Instantaneous flow in the intake port is directly related to the instantaneous flow occurring monentarily before. A port that starts flow late can never catch up. The sooner we start flow into the cylinder, the higher the port velocity the flow will have at any larger degree of crank rotation....."

I had explained to Dave Vizard back in the mid-80's that the part that does all the heavy work is the first 75 degrees ATDC of crank rotation. This is where the piston is accelerating up to maximum velocity. After this point, the piston is slowing down, although the inertia in the air/gas mixture keeps increasing port velocity as the piston nears BDC. As the piston is slowing down, the inertia increases at a ever-decreasing rate. But if everything is done right, the air/gas mixture will still be ramming in at valve closure, ABDC.

Just some food for thought,

UDHarold

PS---You may read this for yourself, but not in a 1982 UltraDyne catalog, at "wayback machine" on Google. Just enter www.ultradyne.com in their search box. Page 5 also repeats the information on inertia ram.
I have delayed answering your question because the answer is very long, and there are many different interpetations of it. Eacfh Cam designer has his own theory, and often they contradict each other. Here are some of my thoughts and practices on cam lobes vs airflow.
First--AFAIK, there is NO airflow into the engine BTDC, except for various supercharged/turbocharged engines. BTDC in an unblown engine the piston is pushing things, ie--exhaust gases, out of the cylinder/combustion chamber. These gases have positive pressure(measurable back-pressure) and block the intake port as the intake valve opens. We call this REVERSION. I believe no intake airflow can start into the cylinder until this reversion is cleaned out of the intake port. This is why I design all my cams to minimize reversion, by delayed intake valve openings. I have done it this way since 1977, and I have seen that it works.
Second--I believe the part of the intake stroke that does all the 'heavy lifting' is the first 75* ATDC. Notice that max valve/lobe lift occurs 100* tp 114* ATDC--The piston has been slowning down for 25* to 39* before max valve lift; This is why max valve lift isn't the most important thing. What most people see with very high valve lifts is the actual valve movement from TDC to 75* ATDC, as mentioned before.
Third--The potential airflow(the airflow curve at various valve lifts) and the valve movement controlled by the opening side of the cam lobe generate the potential airflow into the cylinder---The rod/stroke ratio comes into play also, as the downward piston movement, and the rate-of-change of the piston, let the atmospheric pressure push the air into the cylinder.
So, mid-lift flow is very important, if not most important, in filling the cylinder.
The only caveat is when the port volume is very large(over 33%) of the cylinder volume, and the rod/stroke ratio is very long, 1.9:1-2.25:1. Then very fast ramped cams can move the valve faster than the air can follow the valve into the cylinder and the engine always acts over-cammed. I see this in NASCAR engines with flat tappet cams, it is not restricted to rollers.
I hope this has been informative and given you something to ponder. Even if port airflow hits a plateau and levels off, it is OK. Extra valve lift above that point is for dynamic control. High valve lift never hurts port flow, unless boundary air conditions start decreasing airflow above some valve lift. Then the port must be fixed, or the net valve lift stay below that point.
Here are some thoughts I've had for a very long time......
Engines work off of pressure differentials--ie, differential equations......
In unblown engines we have a positive pressure(back pressure) in the exhaust pipe, and a negative (vacuum) in the intake port BTDC. The piston is moving upwards, pushing the exhaust gases out the exhasut port. The numbers aren't far apart, say 1 1/2 lbs backpressure, a few inches of vacuum, but it does not allow flow into the combustion chamber. Then TDC, and the piston starts down. As it moves downward, it is creating a volume where no volume had existed---and atmospheric air pushes in to fill that volume. This is even why cars run better on cold days that in the heat of summer, the cold air weighs more, and fills the cylinder faster because of inertia.
I'll be a little scattered myself, because of the lateness of the hour, but two points of interest.
First---The engine never has long-term memory. It only knows what is happening NOW, and what just happened. Here is an example:
Intake opening 40* BTDC--- Is this a
288* cam on 104 ICL?
292* cam on 106 ICL?
296* cam on 108 ICL?
300* cam on 110 ICL?
304* cam on 112 ICL? or a
308* cam on 114 ICL?
With symmetrical cams, all those intake durations and ICLs open at 40* BTDC.
Or, if it is an unsymmetrical cam, it might be a 288* cam on 101 ICL, like in my UD 288/296R6.
At .200", the 288 is as fat as many 300* cams, but the upper part of the cam lobe is way advanced compared to them. The engine sees the overall shape of the cam lobe, not some number we use to measure it with. The higher the port velocity, the better the inertia ram.
Second---Most engine builders, probably you too, have tried the same cam lobes ground on different LSAs, say like 106 and 108. If you dyno them in the same engine, and on the same Intake CL, both cams obviously have the same intake cam on the same ICL. Oddly enough, they have different power curves, and everyone says "Sure, because of the different LSAs!". Remember, they both had the same intake lobe on the same intake CL. The power curves differed because the effects of the exhaust back pressure and the resulting reversion were different for each test, and each cam filled differently because of their reversions. Once you start thinking on this, it leads all sorts of interesting directions......
Enough for me tonight, see you all tomorrow.....

UDHarold
-Bob
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38807&start=45

---------

Post by CamKing » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:15 pm

Stan Weiss wrote:Maybe Mike can explain if something like this would work?

Stan
ab-cam-sym-asym-int.gif

That's a lot like what Harold would do, and what Comp does. It's symmetrical above a certain lift, with a quicker opening below that lift.
I was never a big fan.
It's causes a very high acceleration rate off the seat.
Harold would say, "you can't float the valve on the opening", but that's not true. That high acceleration off the seat causes flex in the valvetrain, and as the valve slows down toward max lift, those flexed parts try and straighten out, and you loft the valve, and lose control.

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=60

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 »

Not a cam designer, but I was curious about the "jerk" term and found the below website - very interesting.

http://www.tildentechnologies.com/Cams/CamDesign.html
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Cougar5.0 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:15 pm Not a cam designer, but I was curious about the "jerk" term and found the below website - very interesting.

Back to the first post in this thread. It's all good!
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:38 pm
Cougar5.0 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:15 pm Not a cam designer, but I was curious about the "jerk" term and found the below website - very interesting.

Back to the first post in this thread. It's all good!
:D ;)
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

This thread is AWSOME---thanks to Hoffman, Jones, McCain, and whoever i may have missed for a heck of a lot of effort in posting all of this information!! Now----how much of this appx. 10 yr. old info. is now considered to still be absolute and how much is outdated ? =P~
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Stan Weiss wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:29 pm viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38807&start=45

---------

Stan
ab-cam-sym-asym-int.gif

That's a lot like what Harold would do, and what Comp does. It's symmetrical above a certain lift, with a quicker opening below that lift.
I was never a big fan.
Harold would say, "you can't float the valve on the opening", but that's not true. That high acceleration off the seat causes flex in the valvetrain, and as the valve slows down toward max lift, those flexed parts try and straighten out, and you loft the valve, and lose control.

Stan
And Billy Godbold pretty much said as much as well, with the John Daley of camshaft designers comment and used the analogy of "if you slap somebody really hard, asking them to do something for you later is probably not a good idea. Valve springs are like that". Also talking about some of his Comp designs were designed that way and how the Spintron revealed that to a be a problem. Flipping the masters actually improved dynamics. Though, doing this would screw up the intent of delaying the opening on a running engine.

I would like to see something from the Lunati TL2 (flat tappet) and a TR2 (roller) lobe families profiled (released circa 2011. http://www.lunatipower.com/News.aspx?id=51). These are probably the last commercially available designs Harold did and would represent evolution-wise his last refinement (he stated he was always trying to outdo what he did before). He had Spintron experience at Arrington (Custom Camshaft Company) by the time he designed these.

Here are the TL2s:

Advertised. @.050 @.200 Lift w/1.7
268. 239 151 .590
272. 243 155 .600
276. 247 159 .612
280. 251 163 .624
284. 255 167 .634

288. 259 171 .646
292. 263 175 .658
296. 267 179 .668
300. 271 183 .680
Now----how much of this appx. 10 yr. old info. is now considered to still be absolute and how much is outdated ?
I think it's all relevant. Spintrons have been around for 25 years now, so a lot of the blackmagic that came before has been taken out. Lobes designs are all done on computers, valve springs have been very good for 10-15 years now, etc. Of course, there are a ton of lobes designed that are available that haven't been tested on one or are just older designs, but if you were to ask Mike Jones, Billy Godbold, and even Harold in his last years to design a new lobe profile for yourself, they all have had their cams on Spintrons and no doubt that has influence what you'll get vs. what they would have designed 30 years ago.

As far as picking out the valve lift curve, the designers have had 10 more years of experience and that's 10 more years of knowledge. In-situ cylinder pressure analysis is seems to slowly be gaining more prevalence, and likely they have learned a lot with their higher end clients who have used it. That just gets back to having 10 more years of experience to draw upon.

A lot of the lobes are stil designed with software that's been around for years. I'm not sure the status of Harvey's program, but A LOT of lobes were designed with that. Mike has his own deal, but I can't imagine the code has changed much over time (just the inputs). From what I've seen at Comp and a lot of others, they're using the Blair software. The only refinement I've seen is Honda developing their own program to gain more control with Bezier curves (about 8 years ago) which allowed them a little more control to tweak piston to valve clearance. This is about 6 years old, but this also is where things are technology wise: http://fourstrokedesign.com/content/cas ... traints-2/ . As Harold like to say, and no doubt Mike (and others) would agree, the software doesn't make the cam designer.
-Bob
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:12 am
Stan Weiss wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:29 pm viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38807&start=45

---------

Stan
ab-cam-sym-asym-int.gif

I was never a big fan.

Stan
And Billy Godbold pretty much said as much as well, with the John Daley of camshaft designers comment and used the analogy of "if you slap somebody really hard, asking them to do something for you later is probably not a good idea. Valve springs are like that". Also talking about some of his Comp designs were designed that way and how the Spintron revealed that to a be a problem. Flipping the masters actually improved dynamics. Though, doing this would screw up the intent of delaying the opening on a running engine.

I would like to see something from the Lunati TL2 (flat tappet) and a TR2 (roller) lobe families profiled (released circa 2011. http://www.lunatipower.com/News.aspx?id=51). These are probably the last commercially available designs Harold did and would represent evolution-wise his last refinement (he stated he was always trying to outdo what he did before). He had Spintron experience at Arrington (Custom Camshaft Company) by the time he designed these.

Here are the TL2s:

Advertised. @.050 @.200 Lift w/1.7
268. 239 151 .590
272. 243 155 .600
276. 247 159 .612
280. 251 163 .624
284. 255 167 .634

288. 259 171 .646
292. 263 175 .658
296. 267 179 .668
300. 271 183 .680
Now----how much of this appx. 10 yr. old info. is now considered to still be absolute and how much is outdated ?
I think it's all relevant. Spintrons have been around for 25 years now, so a lot of the blackmagic that came before has been taken out. Lobes designs are all done on computers, valve springs have been very good for 10-15 years now, etc. Of course, there are a ton of lobes designed that are available that haven't been tested on one or are just older designs, but if you were to ask Mike Jones, Billy Godbold, and even Harold in his last years to design a new lobe profile for yourself, they all have had their cams on Spintrons and no doubt that has influence what you'll get vs. what they would have designed 30 years ago.

As far as picking out the valve lift curve, the designers have had 10 more years of experience and that's 10 more years of knowledge. In-situ cylinder pressure analysis is seems to slowly be gaining more prevalence, and likely they have learned a lot with their higher end clients who have used it. That just gets back to having 10 more years of experience to draw upon.

A lot of the lobes are stil designed with software that's been around for years. I'm not sure the status of Harvey's program, but A LOT of lobes were designed with that. Mike has his own deal, but I can't imagine the code has changed much over time (just the inputs). From what I've seen at Comp and a lot of others, they're using the Blair software. The only refinement I've seen is Honda developing their own program to gain more control with Bezier curves (about 8 years ago) which allowed them a little more control to tweak piston to valve clearance. This is about 6 years old, but this also is where things are technology wise: http://fourstrokedesign.com/content/cas ... traints-2/ . As Harold like to say, and no doubt Mike (and others) would agree, the software doesn't make the cam designer.
Another aspect of cams that undoubtedly has improved over time is just the ability to select/use cams. In other words the ability to select and use the lobes to effectively improve engine performance weather they are new or old designs.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Absolutely. Instead of cam designers just using their good memory, hopefully they're documenting and creating databases. From these databases they can pick out trends - this will help 95% of their clients who are just street / street-strip / weekend warrior racers.

On a higher level, the future is in data analysis and this isn't so much the cam designer as it is the engineers on the race teams or in high end engine shops. With pressure sensors, load cells, Spintrons, etc. we can collect more and more data. We can be talking millions of data points for one dyno pull. The real knowledge and the future is in machine learning and data mining in extracting meaningful trends to further refine the process. If people want to get millennials into this stuff, this is the aspect that needs to be sold. Will the macro trends in lift and duration change? No, we have decades of experience that has refined that, but on the micro-level - a little tweak here and there kind of stuff.

Like Moore's Law, technology keeps growing exponentially, but the unspoken fallacy of it is the input in costs to maintain this exponential growth is also growing at an ever increasing rate for each gain made. The internal combustion engine is there. The computer and Spintron revolution are past us and now it's just further micro refinements here and there. Fortunately for most cam designers (and engine builders), 95% of the applications out there are so far off, that they don't need this level of engineering.
-Bob
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:35 am Absolutely. Instead of cam designers just using their good memory, hopefully they're documenting and creating databases. From these databases they can pick out trends - this will help 95% of their clients who are just street / street-strip / weekend warrior racers.

On a higher level, the future is in data analysis and this isn't so much the cam designer as it is the engineers on the race teams or in high end engine shops. With pressure sensors, load cells, Spintrons, etc. we can collect more and more data. We can be talking millions of data points for one dyno pull. The real knowledge and the future is in machine learning and data mining in extracting meaningful trends to further refine the process. If people want to get millennials into this stuff, this is the aspect that needs to be sold. Will the macro trends in lift and duration change? No, we have decades of experience that has refined that, but on the micro-level - a little tweak here and there kind of stuff.

Like Moore's Law, technology keeps growing exponentially, but the unspoken fallacy of it is the input in costs to maintain this exponential growth is also growing at an ever increasing rate for each gain made. The internal combustion engine is there. The computer and Spintron revolution are past us and now it's just further micro refinements here and there. Fortunately for most cam designers (and engine builders), 95% of the applications out there are so far off, that they don't need this level of engineering.
Well if you look at the Moore's Law/cheap computer thing its easy to see how much that technology has been used to improve even moderately developed engines. I use computers all the time to gather and analyze data from cams, from my dyno, from my flow bench etc and it is very useful but a lot of it goes beyond my present day understanding of things. I have learned to use more of that data as my level of understanding has increased but much of it still leaves me scratching my head! Maybe some more inexpensive computer power will make AI and CFD affordable to the masses, making it easier to sort through the data and that will allow me to answer some more of my questions.

In the past reasonably inexpensive flow benches and dynos allowed engine development to move outside of the OEM's and into the hands of people who were interested in performance. Do you think that newer data collection technologies will also follow suit? I think they will and this will allow engines built by grass roots people to continue to improve as long as there is interest and a good way to harness all of that data.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

THANKS again Gentlemen !!!!!!!!!!! :D
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:35 am Absolutely. Instead of cam designers just using their good memory, hopefully they're documenting and creating databases. From these databases they can pick out trends - this will help 95% of their clients who are just street / street-strip / weekend warrior racers.

This video puts some numbers to your concept.

https://www.ted.com/talks/robert_gordon ... _of_growth
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

ImageThis weekend I was going to test some cams in my race car that aöso is my dyno mule.
It is very repeatable when I dyno it so differences show up at once.
This is a Volvo 230 engine witj the cam above buckets, 2365cc and around 250 hp at 6850 rpm.
I changed from a cam with at 0,050 at the valve 267 in 14,6mm lift-264 out and 14mm lift to a cam withthe same exhaust lobe
but 267 at 0,050 with 15,3mm lift and cinstant acc ramps instead of constant velocity ramps used omn the earlier cam.
The result was that I beat my valve seats in at the SSR where the seat had the least material under it.
This engine has taken hundreds of dyno runs and now the change of cam killed the seats.
I have had constant acc in the exhaust but there I use a slower accelerating and deccelerating lobe.
Never had any problems there.
I have enmailed the cam distributor but havent gotten an answer yet.

Erland