Timing Chain, End Play and Cam Button

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

geraldtson
Re: Timing Chain, End Play and Cam Button

Post by geraldtson »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:08 pm
geraldtson wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:44 pm
YES!! Same endplay as nylon cam button. Without endplay the steel roller button will come apart on you! I've used both. The nylon buttons are more forgiving.
I hope the OP doesn't mind, but I'm trying to figure out the timing chain, cover, gasket, cam button, & timing tab for my GEN1 SBC with retro roller cam, too, and I had the same question.

Why do you want the end play vs. no end play? Can you explain this a little bit more? Is that point that in general, you don't want the roller button to actually be contacting the cam at all, but when you end up in a condition that pulls the cam forward (rapid decel???!?) the roller button simply stops it from moving too far forward and is only spinning for a short period of time after which the cam snugs back up to the block surface / torrington bearing?

Adam

The idea is to limit "cam walk" and end play as rfoll said. A roller cam will walk forward immediately as soon as you fire engine. Ever watched one run with no timing cover and you will see cam walk forward probably 1/4" or so. First make sure rollers are riding cam lobes where they should be (adjust accordingly) usually there pretty close,then stop "cam walk" in this case with a button against cover. Then create end play so you're not constantly putting to much pressure on end of button and cover.To much pressure with the steel roller button without adequate lubrication and it want last long.Nylon button is more forgiving but either will work with enough endplay. Some people notch groove in front cam bearing,some drill tiny hole in front oil galley plug for a little extra lubrication to timing chain assembly. Some don't do either. I've tried most every way and seem to like the nylon (more forgiving) and grooving. Also like the thicker better quality timing cover gaskets as there stronger!