Vane on floor of port

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Vane on floor of port

Post by mag2555 »

Yes Chad.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

I certainly didn't invent the idea. However if you look at what I offer, I have 5-6 heads with a floor wing.

It was mainly sarcasm because I have went in depth explaining only to have guys beat me up. Saying the exact things I did. Cup doesn't use it, oh yea?? Anyway just like the burr finish it's a can of worms and it's easier to go down that road or simply use the search button. As far as guys who claim it doen't work, you just can't throw a wing in it and see nothing and claim failure. It must be designed for it. Then if you take it out, I promise the port won't work.

In simple terms, it's a way of tuning both sides of the flow curve. You have to rob Peter to pay Paul and a wing helps with that. It helps wet flow, it helps pulling fuel, it helps with low and mid flow.

I do it because it looks cool.. :)
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

cspeier wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:21 am Total waste of time. A crutch. A band-aide, Don't do it, fix the port. About covers it.
When in doubt, grind it out!
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

The port in question is the new Ford FE head from Trick Flow. Just thought it was interesting to see a vane in an FE head. They don't use them in the other heads that I'm used to but the FE head has a bit of a twisted shape so perhaps the vane helped solve a problem they were seeing on the bench. I don't think the FE heads had the vane in them at the 2016 SEMA show when they were announced but the vane showed up in the production heads.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Heads like the Ford FE motor , Pontiacs and others with around a 14 degree valve inclination angle are prone to tumble at high flow rates dependant on the port shape, port area and main valve seat angle, so this could be part of the concideration for the inclusion of the vane.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

You can really see in the photo they cranked on the bowl. My guess is it loves the wing.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Yes, the did not raise the floor as it looks like a 352/390 low riser port location to me.