General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Accel plug feedback/starting issue

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Schurkey wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:52 pm
Tuner wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:29 pm The Holley needle and seat O-ring is size 008, 5/16" OD x 3/16" ID s 1/16" cross section. The local hardware store should have some.
My (very) limited experience is that the hardware store will have the right size, however, the material is un-suitable for the purpose. My generic O-rings lasted a week or two. They cold-flow, stop sealing, and need to be replaced again.

The end of my Holley needle/seat O-ring problems came when I ordered Viton O-rings.

It is a pure mystery to me why Holley doesn't sell a small quantity--six or ten--of O-rings separately. The Holley O-rings are not as nice as the Viton I bought, but they're entirely adequate. Problem is that they won't sell them without buying a bunch of other stuff (a "hardware kit") at the same time:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-34-7bk
Pretty sure you can get viton o-rings as a pack at the part store. O'Reilly usually has a huge case full of various sizes they sell as singles, also. Most others should, too.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

DaveMcLain wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:00 pm..If the engine is making 7-8 at idle you need a 4.5 or so power valve otherwise it'll be open when its idling.
There was a video posted here not long ago of an engine idling with a wide band gauge plumbed in and an external hand pump actuating the P.V. It showed no variation at all with the PV open vs. closed. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

DaveMcLain wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:00 pm
cuisinartvette wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:59 pm Tuner if this thing is making 7-8 in at idle do you recommend an 8.5 or 10?
Local place has some, wanna pick them up in the AM. Cant remember what AED put in there and cant find the sheet.
A little more PT umph wouldnt hurt.
If the engine is making 7-8 at idle you need a 4.5 or so power valve otherwise it'll be open when its idling.
This PV should be 1/2 idle vacuum is just plain wrong. Please stop repeating it and furthering the wrong information. The valve should be chosen by observing the vacuum characteristics in the RPM range of the power band.

It is more correct to say the PV should open at about 1/2 load.

As an example, a 500 HP engine should open the valve at close to 250 or 300 HP. Depending on displacement and valve timing, that might be 10" vacuum at half=throttle and 4000 RPM.

Twenty years ago a 358 SBC 18* head 'Nascar Tour' engines with a 390 carb would make well over 600 HP with 10" intake vacuum at 7500 RPM and idled with about 5" vacuum. A 2.5 valve would never open, the vacuum would never be that low unless you lugged the engine in the pits.

You don't want a powerful engine to be lean at high output, except in rare circumstances such as racing fuel economy where engine life is a secondary consideration to winning a race.

Anyone serious about carb tuning that hasn't already done so, needs to spend a lot of time observing a vacuum gauge on a running engine when it is being driven and railed on, so to understand the part-throttle vacuum in a radical engine is much higher in the power band RPM than it is at idle and at low RPM. Idle has nothing at all to do with choosing PV opening point. The vacuum at part-throttle in the RPM range near peak torque and maximum HP is the important factor.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

good idea, have a vac gauge with plenty of line, will give that a try have plenty of pv
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Gotta love mom and pop auto pts where the owners a gearhead last of the mohicans
they got the viton quick fuel needle and seats but there are .100 and .110

.110 no?

Power valves they have the quick fuel 4 window and reg holley whats the difference
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

cuisinartvette wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:00 pm Gotta love mom and pop auto pts where the owners a gearhead last of the mohicans
they got the viton quick fuel needle and seats but there are .100 and .110

.110 no?

Power valves they have the quick fuel 4 window and reg holley whats the difference
.110 N&S.

The four window PV's flow more than a stock Holley. Unless your PV restrictors are really big (IIRC over .085) the stock Holley will work. Either PV is ok.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Viton tip on the needle, or Viton O-ring on the outside of the assembly?
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Tuner wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:20 am
This PV should be 1/2 idle vacuum is just plain wrong. Please stop repeating it and furthering the wrong information. The valve should be chosen by observing the vacuum characteristics in the RPM range of the power band.
THANK YOU!

PV switches between "cruise mixture" and "power enrichment" when out on the road. I don't think anyone is idling at 50mph, so why should idle vacuum have anything to do with that?
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

After all this.....it was the gas thats it.

Put some fresh 91 in it, dumped a little down the carb and first crank it fired right off
Go figure, in my EFI 5.3 the old gas runs in it but has takes a splt second to catch .

Needs some carb adjustment as if the tip in is off, could be a fuel pump but sure was good to hear it for a minute.

Mystery solved..
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Fourth post!

:mrgreen:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com