How do you stermine what type of triggering....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

sc2dave
Expert
Expert
Location: Los Angeles, in The People's republic of Kalifornia

Re: How do you stermine what type of triggering....

Post by sc2dave »

Do you think that I can hook up an MSD distributor to the bike wiring and see if It'll make the box fir the coils? I believe it's the same type of pickup,just to see if in fact, that the bike pickup will run the box. Just a thought
modok
Guru
Guru
Re: How do you stermine what type of triggering....

Post by modok »

sc2dave wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:04 pm Sorry if i wasnt clear. What i was trying to say was if the pickup coil had to be a regular or hall effect or some other similiar design. What i want to know is if i can bypass the ignitor and connect straight to the pickup, just like when you remove module on a chevy dist. and connect wires dtraight.
MSD does not tell you EVERYTHING in the instructions. Some cobbled together stuff will work great, and other things that are according to the instructions might not. How to tell?.....test it.
Hook it up on a bench, drive the distributor with drill or lathe or something. Read what is going on with an oscilloscope. You can take a look at what kind of signal your pickup puts out, and experiment with different pickups to see if the MSD triggers well with it or not.