Machined horiizontal grooves in piston skirts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rocketracer380
Pro
Pro
Machined horiizontal grooves in piston skirts

Post by rocketracer380 »

Have pistons with machined horizontal grooves in skirts I'm assuming they are for lubrication to hold oil on the skirts or cool pistons original application was circle/ dirt track olds v8
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Machined horiizontal grooves in piston skirts

Post by SupStk »

I'm guessing you have some old school pieces there like Venolia or Arias.
Don't know there reason for those grooves but whatever it was, must not of worked because they quit doing it.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

+1 Antiques
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Well, look at Polaris h.o. 800 engines. Ski doo also does it, and has done it for awhile now. They have horizontal grooves on the piston skirts. It's marketed as new technology. I hate the when they use that word. Anyhow, it's deemed "new" and "improved". It was done to add reliability to the stock pistons. Funny how they take something old, and make it a "technology", and it's new.
adam728

Post by adam728 »

Frankshaft wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:24 pm Well, look at Polaris h.o. 800 engines. Ski doo also does it, and has done it for awhile now. They have horizontal grooves on the piston skirts. It's marketed as new technology. I hate the when they use that word. Anyhow, it's deemed "new" and "improved". It was done to add reliability to the stock pistons. Funny how they take something old, and make it a "technology", and it's new.
Polaris 800.
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

rocketracer380 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:44 am Have pistons with machined horizontal grooves in skirts I'm assuming they are for lubrication to hold oil on the skirts or cool pistons original application was circle/ dirt track olds v8
Sounds like antique race pistons... do the have buttons on skirts too? If it's a serious race piston, "it's gotta have the buttons!"... so they thought 40 years ago.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I realize that for novice and budget governed types that they sometimes have ownership and access to some older performance engine parts and they want to move these nearly antiques into their parts building and use them accordingly. Nothing wrong with that if they are willing to accept the facts that their ultimate final build will just be at those older antique levels. If you really want to improve and maximise the results of your engine builds and performance results then come into the present and try to use the newer better technologies especially in pistons, rods, rings, bearings, etc. I realize sometimes the excitement and joy of receiving almost free or gifted parts, but if you are on this site asking to find out how to get the best performance out of your engine you need to understand how and why these new improved parts were developed and produced to begin with! JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I'd sooner watch 50 cars race with old tech and used parts then 5 guys with the latest and greatest...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

adam728 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:41 pm
Frankshaft wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:24 pm Well, look at Polaris h.o. 800 engines. Ski doo also does it, and has done it for awhile now. They have horizontal grooves on the piston skirts. It's marketed as new technology. I hate the when they use that word. Anyhow, it's deemed "new" and "improved". It was done to add reliability to the stock pistons. Funny how they take something old, and make it a "technology", and it's new.
Polaris 800.
is that on the exhaust side only ??
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

In this app, would the exhaust be the non-thrust side?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

MadBill wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:39 pm In this app, would the exhaust be the non-thrust side?
i was more thinking of heat on the exhaust side needing the oil.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Krooser I for one appreciate your comments, opinions and dedication as an Antique enthusiast! I am just an "old fart" who enjoys the latest science and technology in todays racing world. I try to be an "old dog "learning new tricks ! Heck, I never really learned all the old tricks !
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

when i was doing 2 strokes if the exhaust port had dividers i would dill .032 holes in the piston skirt in line with these dividers to allow extra lube in this area.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

pamotorman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:06 pm when i was doing 2 strokes if the exhaust port had dividers i would dill .032 holes in the piston skirt in line with these dividers to allow extra lube in this area.
That's what the aftermarket companies do for the new liberty 800 pistons. On either side of the ex port, as they have one big hole for the ex port. Wiseco and Wossner do this. They leave the ridges off. They are also forged.
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

rocketracer380 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:44 am Have pistons with machined horizontal grooves in skirts I'm assuming they are for lubrication to hold oil on the skirts or cool pistons original application was circle/ dirt track olds v8
3 grooves?, 100 grooves?

Depends on how close you look I suppose.