Machined horiizontal grooves in piston skirts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: Machined horiizontal grooves in piston skirts

Post by Krooser »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 pm Krooser I for one appreciate your comments, opinions and dedication as an Antique enthusiast! I am just an "old fart" who enjoys the latest science and technology in todays racing world. I try to be an "old dog "learning new tricks ! Heck, I never really learned all the old tricks !
The only point I was TRYING (not very well I might ad) to make was I'd sooner see a full field of cars regardless of how much they cost rather than a short field of high doller cars. More cars helps everybody. When we start to make baseballs that cost $500.00 when a $10.00 ball works you've just signed the death notice for Little League.

Over and out...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Krooser, I am with you on that ! Success in racing should not be about how many dollars are spent, but by how much innovation, ingenuity, and hard work is developed, applied and used in racing, the cars and engines that make it a great sport.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:43 pm Krooser, I am with you on that ! Success in racing should not be about how many dollars are spent, but by how much innovation, ingenuity, and hard work is developed, applied and used in racing, the cars and engines that make it a great sport.
Good words =D>
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

3 grooves per side evenly spaced adjacent to pin not on actual akirt Ross pistons at least 20 yo I've had them for 7/8 years I'm assuming to lub/ cool pistons protect from overheating because of multi laps continuos rpm
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Krooser wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:27 pm
Newold1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 pm Krooser I for one appreciate your comments, opinions and dedication as an Antique enthusiast! I am just an "old fart" who enjoys the latest science and technology in todays racing world. I try to be an "old dog "learning new tricks ! Heck, I never really learned all the old tricks !
The only point I was TRYING (not very well I might ad) to make was I'd sooner see a full field of cars regardless of how much they cost rather than a short field of high doller cars. More cars helps everybody. When we start to make baseballs that cost $500.00 when a $10.00 ball works you've just signed the death notice for Little League.

Over and out...
more cars in local racing means more people in the stands because each race team has friends and relatives that will go to the races. when my son drove our short track car there were 10 to 20 people who came to see him race that would not go to the races any other time.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

We all did that back in the '80s. They were oil retention grooves.

Then Bill Miller started doing pistons with smooth skirts, and Oldsmobile put out an article that stated that those grooves cost them 27 H/P due to molecular shear. After that the fashion changed and no one wanted them anymore.

Subsequent to that came the ovularity turning machines. As the skirts became more and more sophisticated we stopped doing things "just because"....although I have noted that at least one piston company has returned to adding "snail tracks" in their skirts, and charge extra for them.

Thus ends your history lesson for the evening.

Ta ta!..... :D
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

pamotorman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm
Krooser wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Over and out...
more cars in local racing means more people in the stands because each race team has friends and relatives that will go to the races. when my son drove our short track car there were 10 to 20 people who came to see him race that would not go to the races any other time.
Please allow me: "More cars in local racing means more beer being poured down your back in the stands because each race team has friends and relatives that will go to the races."..... :P
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:43 pm Krooser, I am with you on that ! Success in racing should not be about how many dollars are spent, but by how much innovation, ingenuity, and hard work is developed, applied and used in racing, the cars and engines that make it a great sport.
Success is about winning. Some people with with more ingenuity, some people win with more money.

No one wins without money, and that is as it should be.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

rocketracer380 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:23 pm 3 grooves per side evenly spaced adjacent to pin not on actual akirt Ross pistons at least 20 yo I've had them for 7/8 years I'm assuming to lub/ cool pistons protect from overheating because of multi laps continuos rpm
If they're ROSS, they're at least 30 year old.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

piston guy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:43 am +1 Antiques

With trick skirt designs. :mrgreen:

"J Cam" @ .009 per side, and a boatload of taper.
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

All else the same, a smoother skirt profile will typically make slightly more power, but I prefer not to go that way on an initial build that I don't have any history with. A rougher skirt finish will be more forgiving if the skirt profile isn't exactly what the engine wants, and a smoother skirt finish can possibly be used after reading wear patterns upon teardown IMO.