Steel shim head gasket sealant

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-17438

Re: Steel shim head gasket sealant

Post by user-17438 »

Hylomar.. because Rolls Royce couldn't figure out how I make an engine that didn't leak. This stuff works.. :D
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

MTENGINES wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:24 pm Hylomar.. because Rolls Royce couldn't figure out how I make an engine that didn't leak. This stuff works.. :D
:lol:
Craig.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Re: Hylomar; didn't we have a member here from Dakota Parts Warehouse who was the Ferrea valves and Hylomar distributor? Anyone buying Hylomar from them?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
rocketracer380
Pro
Pro

Post by rocketracer380 »

Hylomar works mint I've used it on copper gasket with great success no leaks ever expensive tho
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

PackardV8 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:08 am Re: Hylomar; didn't we have a member here from Dakota Parts Warehouse who was the Ferrea valves and Hylomar distributor? Anyone buying Hylomar from them?
Jack, the ebay link I referenced in my earlier post is him. Brian @ Dakota Parts Warehouse in Rapid City, S.D.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

While we are on the topic, how flat does the deck need to be for a steel shim? Can you get away with running these on an undecked block if the block is reasonably flat? What are the limits?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

It is the flatness of the head that is more critical.
Never used a sealant on sbc and bbc steel shim head gaskets in 40++ years. Have instructed others too same. No failures even with nitrous and supercharging. Waste of money.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

My concern about sealing mostly comes from the usage of a steel shim on a 400 block. Steel shim gaskets fore this bore size are very rare, and getting them to seal is probably the reason. I'm not worried about combustion seal, but I have had coolant seepage on these blocks in the past. The gaskets don't have steam holes, but I will drill the bottom 3. The holes on the upper side of the block have been plugged.
So much to do, so little time...
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Rfoll, maybe my eyes are really getting bad or thats not the gasket type in question but those pics on the Speedway motors listing appear not be a steel shim gasket but some type of composition gasket with a definite separate compressible fire ring around the bore opening. If so then steel shim seems to be a misnomer. In any event if those are indeed composition head gaskets at $10 a pair, just the pricing alone would make be a bit suspect of the quality of the gasket set.

In any event I have found over my history that early on when surface decking, surfacing and head gasket construction was not as refined as it can be today, using head gasket sealants as a crutch for some pretty sloppy decks and finishes that head gasket sealants were just about a must. I can say that in the last 30 + years I have never used head gasket sealants not because they are a problem necessarily when used but because I as well as many engine builders today realize that properly squared and surface deck RA's with good head fasteners properly torqued and using quality head gaskets that sealant is not needed. No redo or failures in my experiences. My thoughts, the "right surfaces at the right torque with quality head gaskets make leaks a thing of the past."
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

novadude wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 am While we are on the topic, how flat does the deck need to be for a steel shim? Can you get away with running these on an undecked block if the block is reasonably flat? What are the limits?
How flat were the blocks GM machined? They often have a rough finish, I think they were broached, not milled...I used silver paint on GM and Mopar in the past...Last one I did got the copper spray...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

When installing thin, steel shim head gaskets, I have used high temperature silver paint that is made for barbecue grills (both spray and brush on) for 50+ years with no issues/failures. Installation procedures are of utmost importance, i.e. gasket surfaces must be clean and dry; head gasket threads and threaded holes in block must be clean (I use thread chasers, NOT tap and die); coat head bolt threads with very light coat of thread sealer; coat the gaskets with silver paint and install heads while the paint is slightly tacky; torque the heads bolts in recommended sequence - in at least three steps.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

engineguyBill wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:24 am When installing thin, steel shim head gaskets, I have used high temperature silver paint that is made for barbecue grills (both spray and brush on) for 50+ years with no issues/failures. Installation procedures are of utmost importance, i.e. gasket surfaces must be clean and dry; head gasket threads and threaded holes in block must be clean (I use thread chasers, NOT tap and die); coat head bolt threads with very light coat of thread sealer; coat the gaskets with silver paint and install heads while the paint is slightly tacky; torque the heads bolts in recommended sequence - in at least three steps.
Bill, agree with all the above but one, "(I use thread chasers, NOT tap and die)" in fifty years of chasing threads in blocks with standard taps, I've never had an issue I could trace to same.

FWIW, I do use bottoming taps on any block which has been aggressively decked beyond just cleanup or which will use heads milled more than cleanup. There's a lot of crud hiding in the bottom of bolt holes, even those baked/blasted/pressure-washed.

On the crusty/rusty stuff we build, it's sometimes necessary to chase head bolt threads with a die and to use a washer under the head. On the shorter bolts, sometimes there's a later more current production bolt which will interchange, but I still haven't found anything as long as the Packard V8 rocker stand head bolts.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The gaskets are in hand, and are in fact shims. The deck is freshly machined, the heads are nearly new and very heavy. First time I have heard if putting it together with the paint wet. Interesting thought.
So much to do, so little time...
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

rfoll wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:13 pm The gaskets are in hand, and are in fact shims. The deck is freshly machined, the heads are nearly new and very heavy. First time I have heard if putting it together with the paint wet. Interesting thought.
Good deal, do they look like the ones in the picture? https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway ... 39728.html

The ones pictured do look like composite ones.