421 cube pulling truck engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-17438

Re: 421 cube pulling truck engine

Post by user-17438 »

MELWAY wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:58 pm What is your reason to use the 4500 style intake?

I would think with the limited Cross section in heads a smaller 4150 intake might give more air speed and better acceleration
Because you want rpm. The more rpm you can spin, the more gear you can use. Spin it to win it
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

With the 14 deg heads + 23 manifold - what you *could* do is make up the plates to adapt it all, then weld the sods to the manifold, then they aren't plates it's just a modified manifold, which should be perfectly legal.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

My bad - std bolt pattern, that ain't gonna work.

Unless you just use the plates to match everything up & drill the heads for std bolt pattern - don't know if there is metal where you'd need it but maybe worth a look.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

MTENGINES wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:14 pm
MELWAY wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:58 pm What is your reason to use the 4500 style intake?

I would think with the limited Cross section in heads a smaller 4150 intake might give more air speed and better acceleration
Because you want rpm. The more rpm you can spin, the more gear you can use. Spin it to win it
Right. Sled speed seems to rule in truck pulling and speed comes easier with more rpm than more gear.
Lower gear with more rpm will probably out pull higher gear with less rpm if both reach the same peak sled speed.

We had 28.8 final drive last year and added a 27.08 for this year. My goal is more rpm with 27.08 gear, but we'll have the 28.8 too.

Randy
MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow »

With that final drive and 9200-9600 rpms something will be moving. :P
Joe Stalnaker
WV
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

xcledyne instructions 002.JPG
hi randy,
i am using xceldyne belt drive on my 383 streeter,it is the first time i have used a belt drive system
i wanted to use a jesel but the speed shop i was using delt with CV products over there in USA so i bought a belt drive,ti valves and ti retainers all xceldyne
the only problem i had that was my fault was the crank seal leaked because i tapped the seal in without the correct tooling,i replaced the seal with a jesel crank seal because thats all i could get at the time and i pressed it in as per instructions and have had no leaks,i found the install easy to do and like the timing adjustments great if you want to do quick cam adv/ret changes and cam swaps without dropping oil pan,good for you guys on the dyno
the cost was a bit more expensive than the jesel but its a nice piece,i had to change belt sizing due to using this beltdrive in 2 different blocks had to go from a -2 on one block and then to a -7 on the other early 010 block,i doubt you will have a problem as your block wont be linebored into next week like mine
i put up paperwork instructions for you to look at,i dont know if you have purchased beltdrive as of yet,i hope this helps
steve c
xcledyne instructions 001.JPG
xcledyne instructions 003.JPG
xcledyne instructions 004.JPG
xcledyne instructions 005.JPG
xcledyne instructions 006.JPG
xcledyne instructions 007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Thanks Steve. Yes I already have the belt drive, just wondering if anyone has had trouble with it.

Think all I have left to get is springs/retainers and intake valves.

Maybe a few gaskets still I guess. Need to look at my supply to see what I have.

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Mocking up a few things on the 421. Glad I went 2" rod journals. Got .022" rod to cam clearance on a couple rods. Checking it with the cam at full advance on the belt drive and full retard to find closest place on each. Unlikely it will end up wanting to be in at either extreme.
Maybe I shoulda used Honda rod journals ?

May take .010" off those 2 rods.

Cam in at 108* ICL the valve events are,

IVO...29 BTDC
IVC...65 ABDC
EVO..82 BBDC
EVC..26 ATDC

Which events look outta place for this application ?

Still need to check dome fit to chamber, valve to piston clearance and few other things.

Randy
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

That tight would make me nervous. I would grind a bit off. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:05 am Mocking up a few things on the 421. Glad I went 2" rod journals. Got .022" rod to cam clearance on a couple rods. Checking it with the cam at full advance on the belt drive and full retard to find closest place on each. Unlikely it will end up wanting to be in at either extreme.
Maybe I shoulda used Honda rod journals ?

May take .010" off those 2 rods.

Cam in at 108* ICL the valve events are,

IVO...29 BTDC
IVC...65 ABDC
EVO..82 BBDC
EVC..26 ATDC

Which events look outta place for this application ?

Still need to check dome fit to chamber, valve to piston clearance and few other things.

Randy
Looks good, but what do I know?....I think that's a hell of a good start. You gonna try another one also? Or have somebody spec you the perfect one the first time?
BigAl285

Post by BigAl285 »

Check out Maddog headers. Pretty sure 4 people are running maddog headers in the Badger 6200 Open Stock class. I have a set myself, work and clear everything. Will clear the stock steering shaft if your not running fully hydraulic steering.

http://maddogheaders.net/products/chevy
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

BigAl285 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:07 pm Check out Maddog headers. Pretty sure 4 people are running maddog headers in the Badger 6200 Open Stock class. I have a set myself, work and clear everything. Will clear the stock steering shaft if your not running fully hydraulic steering.

http://maddogheaders.net/products/chevy
Those are shown for 1987 and earlier. Are you running them on a 1988 and up truck?
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
BigAl285

Post by BigAl285 »

I misread the year of your truck. I know when I ordered up mine they didn't offer the 1 7/8" bbc fenderwells but worked with us and started making them. Could call them up and see what they say.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Does anybody use 4-2-1 headers on pullers?
Jim
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

77cruiser wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:15 pm Does anybody use 4-2-1 headers on pullers?
I haven't seen it. (But someone might). First choice is vertical through the hood if allowed, then fenderwell exit. All I've see are 4-1.

Hedman and Hooker both make 1 3/4 tube inside the frame exit header for the 88-89 4x4 GM truck.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o