Strange crankshaft wear pattern

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

4vpc
Pro
Pro
Re: Strange crankshaft wear pattern

Post by 4vpc »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 am The Japanese and German car manufacturers used to make the cranks very strong and stiff to start with and then induction harden the journals. I don’t know why they are so overbuilt, maybe the stiffness was needed to make the desired bearing clearances live and the strength was a by-product?

How much journal hardness does gas nitriding of the whole crankshaft add on top of the factory induction hardening of the journals?
It's to provide a hardened surface for greater durability that's all. You can tell an induction hardened by the heat marks because they only do the journals.
Nitriding treats the whole crank and makes it go grey, you wouldn't do both to one item. It can also bend a crank or cam if not done carefully enough and it also swells the journals so they have to be finished to size afterwards.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

4vpc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:56 am
ptuomov wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 am The Japanese and German car manufacturers used to make the cranks very strong and stiff to start with and then induction harden the journals. I don’t know why they are so overbuilt, maybe the stiffness was needed to make the desired bearing clearances live and the strength was a by-product?

How much journal hardness does gas nitriding of the whole crankshaft add on top of the factory induction hardening of the journals?
It's to provide a hardened surface for greater durability that's all. You can tell an induction hardened by the heat marks because they only do the journals.
Nitriding treats the whole crank and makes it go grey, you wouldn't do both to one item. It can also bend a crank or cam if not done carefully enough and it also swells the journals so they have to be finished to size afterwards.
I also always thought that if it's induction hardened then gas nitriding doesn't really make much sense. Unless, that is, the crank has been offset ground thru the induction hardening. After that sort of surgery, our cranks have gone to gas nitriding heat treatment.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Fire suit on.
Every journal I have inspected and ground that had wear, the majority of the wear was always on the downstroke/tension/backside.
Always seemed logical to me. Once the compression force is pretty much depleted and it has to turn the corner to come back up again there is a "slop and slam" moment where it can rattle and slam the journal. More clearance likely aggravates it.

70 psi and 10K. Wear might be the price to be paid for success.

Why are most German and Japanese 4 cylinder cranks hardened? Most likely because they are a rattle monster.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

Dave Koehler wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:18 am Fire suit on.

Why are most German and Japanese 4 cylinder cranks hardened? Most likely because they are a rattle monster.
Tut tut tut [-X

Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

let me rephrase that. 4 cyls are rattle monsters, regardless of origin.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

You are concentrating on words. I know what the op meant and I think you do also.
If you read the second sentence you are saying essentially the same thing.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

exhaustgases wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 pm.. There is no tension in the beam (rod) until it passes through TDC and gets the yank down.
From around 80° BTDC (max piston velocity) on up, the piston is being decelerated (negative upwards or positive downwards acceleration) by the rod and thus a tension load is on it and the journal. From TDC to the same angle after the rod is also applying a downward acceleration, still imposing a tension load. Of course gas loads are additional plus/minus factors.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

MadBill wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 pm
exhaustgases wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 pm.. There is no tension in the beam (rod) until it passes through TDC and gets the yank down.
From around 80° BTDC (max piston velocity) on up, the piston is being decelerated (negative upwards or positive downwards acceleration) by the rod and thus a tension load is on it and the journal. From TDC to the same angle after the rod is also applying a downward acceleration, still imposing a tension load. Of course gas loads are additional plus/minus factors.
If the rod big end has mass (and it does) I think that also needs to be taken into account in the force vector calculation on the rod journal and bearing.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

The engine is wet sump, but sorted enough that it doesn’t see oil pressure dips during a pass. I run aluminum rods and about 0.003-0.0035 clearance on 50wt vr1. It is probably pretty foamy by the end of a pass and I’m changing to a dry sump system this year

I would be surprised if another .001-.0015 clearance didn't help a lot. Top Fuel can use up to .010 rod bearing clearance. The rod parting line pulls in toward the crankshaft pinching off some of the oil supplied through the crankpin oil holes literally wiping the oil off. Your motor, comparatively speaking, is like a Pro Mod and I know they use much more than you are.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Got any bearing pix? Such pinching and wiping should be signaled by bearing wear extending right up to the parting line...

Kiggly

Post by Kiggly »

Here is a bearing, one looks better and two look worse. The upper shell has around a dozen laps and I think the lower has more like 25-30.

Oh, side clearance is in the 0.016” range with extra reliefs to let the oil out. Been to the party with too little oil exit area on the sides, not a fun one there!
1D9DE0BB-D19D-4AE4-977A-462964670AC2.jpeg
6EFD70B3-78DA-4C31-94CE-D85EE4A8051B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7.470 and 194mph in a FWD auto DSM
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The wear pattern look a little weird in the second pic, as if the journal was barrel-shaped, but the main issue I see is the contact right up to the parting line. Contact should be confined to about the center 2/3rds.
Either the rods bores have become distorted (pinched-in at the parting line) or are deflecting under load. In the latter case, the easy fix is a higher eccentricity bearing, such as a Clevite 'P' series, to prevent the oil film being 'squeegeed off'.
Some shops address this issue by truing the bore with the rod squeezed in a thous or more by a C clamp across the parting line, resulting in more eccentricity.

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

How does that Crank feed oil to the Rods?
Are you running half groove main bearings , or full , is the Crank crossdrilled, or does it have a special oiling layout?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Stock 4G63 cranks are crossdrilled.
Mains AND big ends.

There's obviously dirt embedded in the bearing.
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

joe 90 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:54 pm Stock 4G63 cranks are crossdrilled.
Mains AND big ends.

There's obviously dirt embedded in the bearing.
This is what I thought, it's not soft either, that's what is scratching the crank.