T&D shaft rocker/ Comp cams prods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert
T&D shaft rocker/ Comp cams prods

Post by redliner »

I am assembling my new 414 sbc and I get to the second to the last shaft/pushrod install and the pushrod for the exhaust will not spin when shaft is tightened the last 1/2 turn. I measured the pushrods according to T&D directions and 15 of the others adjust perfectly. I tried 2 different prods and have the same thing.I put a .050 shorter pushrod in and it is all good. I must just have a stack up of tolerances on the one lifter/pushrod, rockerarm cup etc. I would guess. Has anyone else run into this? I hate to run 1 different length pushrod than all the others... WTH???
turdwilly
Pro
Pro
Re: T&D shaft rocker/ Comp cams prods

Post by turdwilly »

If you are sure the lifter is on the base circle, my bet is that exhaust valve is slightly higher in the head.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

turdwilly wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:43 pm If you are sure the lifter is on the base circle, my bet is that exhaust valve is slightly higher in the head.
Yes I have the intake off as I am just building this 414
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Pull the shafts off that head & compare your valve heights with a machined straight edge.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Switch that rocker pair with the ones from a different location. That will rule out a rocker problem. My guess is, its something other than the T&Ds.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

turdwilly wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:01 pm Pull the shafts off that head & compare your valve heights with a machined straight edge.
Good idea! Thanks!
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

turdwilly wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:01 pm Pull the shafts off that head & compare your valve heights with a machined straight edge.
Not only this but don't find zero lash by spinning the pushrod. Wiggle it up and down instead. Too many factor will change when the pushrod stops spinning.