smoke from the exhaust

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

lcfman
Re: smoke from the exhaust

Post by lcfman »

I am back at it now on this smoke issue. My experiment was to open the throttle body butterfly wide open and inspect it. The car has not been started since October. Since this intake is a ramjet style with a tall plenum it is fairly easy to see inside. I also used a borescope to inspect down in the runners but could not find a oil leak path. I started the car and let it run for about 5 minutes or until I saw smoke coming from the exhaust (keep in mind the smoke is not drastic but noticeable and smelly). I shut the engine off and inspected again quickly. When I opened the tb butterfly there was a plum of smoke. So much that I couldn't see the inside walls of the intake plenum. When the smoke cleared I could see oil on the inside walls of the plenum even above the runners at or near the top of the plenum. I used my borescope to inspect the runners but could not see any leak path. I did note that the majority of the oil inside was on the rear runner area on both sides. Now to determine precisely where the leak is in the manifold to head seal. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

lcfman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:22 pm I did note that the majority of the oil inside was on the rear runner area on both sides. Now to determine precisely where the leak is in the manifold to head seal. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
In the time you'd spend looking for where it's coming from, you'd have the intake off and be looking at the cause. :wink:
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

geraldtson wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 pm If your running pcv valve check hose at carb or intake end of hose for signs of oil to make sure its not sucking oil through system?
Have you checked this? Oil on the rear intake runners sounds like it could be this if your running a PCV system.
lcfman

Post by lcfman »

I disconnected the PCV hose and plugged it so I know the oil is not entering there. Thanks for the comment though. As far as why I am searching for the source of where the oil is entering the combustion chamber, certainly I will have to remove the intake and hopefully find the source of the leak. However I could destroy the leak evidence when removing the intake and be back at ground zero. Therefore I am trying to exhaust all means of precisely identifying exactly were the leak is. I am about 90% sure the wedge an the bottom of the intake is off but I have been wrong before. One other question going forward, does anyone know if there is anybody that offers an adjustable intake angle gauge.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

There's a huge array of mechanical and digital protractors/angle finders available. Here's one that might suit: https://www.rona.ca/en/digital-sliding- ... _vEALw_wcB

Usually what's actually needed is an indicator of angle differeces. One way to assess same is by placing short lengths of solder near the top and bottom of the manifold flanges at either end and on the china rails and then torquing the manifold down on a set of used gaskets. Remove the manifold and measure the thickness of each piece to determine any non-parallelism.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

You can check for an intake leak drawing oil into the cylinders this old fashioned way. Remove the pcv remove the oil breather and block it. hold a strip of paper over the hole where the pcv valve was, if you have normal blow by it will lift the paper off the valve cover, if it has a vacuum leak, it will pull the paper against the valve cover. If it pulls the paper to the cover it has to have vacuum to do this, so if pcv is unhooked where does the vacuum come from? manifold leak somewhere. Dodge magnum 318 and 360 engine have a plate that comes loose under the bottom of the intake, don't know how many I have diagnosed with the paper strip, has to be in the hundreds.
lcfman

Post by lcfman »

Thanks for the replies, I will try the paper method and see what it does.