Assault Racing (KMJ) Import BBC head casting info

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevyracer8262

Assault Racing (KMJ) Import BBC head casting info

Post by chevyracer8262 »

Has anyone looked into or done and work on it with the KMJ Assault Racing bbc heads that they sell for around $600 a pair bare? I’m on a shoestring budget and have been looking into an affordable set of heads for my 460 bbc I’m trying to piece together to get my Chevelle back running and came across those heads I don’t mind doing port work because I have access to. A flowbench and seat grinder. They claim their not Procomp heads so I’m trying to find some info on them. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Re: Assault Racing (KMJ) Import BBC head casting info

Post by Frankshaft »

If they haven't changed them, they are pretty decent. Only issue, they are fairly big for your .030 over 454. They do work, I have made 975 on a 565 with them. Obviously with extensive porting and a bigger intake valve. I believe they are about 340cc untouched.
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

That "HeadBytes" guy who has posted a bunch of porting videos on YouTube has several videos about those heads. I'm not by any means endorsing his work, just letting you know where you can see the casting and you might pick up some info about that casting.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Ericnova wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 pm That "HeadBytes" guy who has posted a bunch of porting videos on YouTube has several videos about those heads. I'm not by any means endorsing his work, just letting you know where you can see the casting and you might pick up some info about that casting.
He also did a good hun of ruining those heads. He also made the combustion chambers resemble a procomp also.

Those heads are great, like mentioned above you can make some serious power. The castings are pretty thick so you can really go at it.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Ericnova wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 pm That "HeadBytes" guy who has posted a bunch of porting videos on YouTube has several videos about those heads. I'm not by any means endorsing his work, just letting you know where you can see the casting and you might pick up some info about that casting.
What info could you get from him? He absolutely assaulted those heads, pun intended. Because a guy makes a few videos about a certain head and puts it up on YouTube, that by no means qualifies him. He uses the word butcher hog a lot. That's exactly what he is doing. The video s are worth every penny you paid for them. I can't handle watching those, I do nothing but cringe and shake my head, he is ruining just about every set of heads he touches. 250cc Max ported sbc with a 2.1 intake, with a 30-45-60 valve job with a 96% throat. What are they being ported for? A 10:1 hydraulic roller cammed 383 that is 230-238 at .050 with .529 lift, and a dual plane intake. WOW. OBVIOUSLY has ZERO clue about what to do. The other thing, show some respect for those heads. Has them on end and is sliding them around, banging them all over, scratching and dinging some guys brand new heads. That bugs me
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Frankshaft wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:13 pm
What info could you get from him? He absolutely assaulted those heads, pun intended. Because a guy makes a few videos about a certain head and puts it up on YouTube, that by no means qualifies him. He uses the word butcher hog a lot. That's exactly what he is doing. The video s are worth every penny you paid for them. I can't handle watching those, I do nothing but cringe and shake my head, he is ruining just about every set of heads he touches. 250cc Max ported sbc with a 2.1 intake, with a 30-45-60 valve job with a 96% throat. What are they being ported for? A 10:1 hydraulic roller cammed 383 that is 230-238 at .050 with .529 lift, and a dual plane intake. WOW. OBVIOUSLY has ZERO clue about what to do. The other thing, show some respect for those heads. Has them on end and is sliding them around, banging them all over, scratching and dinging some guys brand new heads. That bugs me
#-o =D> No shyt!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
blwilliams
Pro
Pro

Post by blwilliams »

I sell the same castings as advertised by KMJ.
They do make good power on larger CI engines.
Intake ports are 335CC I have CCed them my self.
I sell them locally here in Phoenix.
I have a pair on a 496 BBC and have ran hi 7's with them in my dragster.
I replaced them with a set of Dart CNC 355 and actually ran a bit quicker with the import casting. I figured the smaller port size attributed to this.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/ ... 64500.html
Feel free to ask any questions if you like.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Frankshaft wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:13 pm
I saw a video just the other day of a guy that I believe posts here, and he was doing the same sort of thing with a new set of AFR heads. It was almost as if he was pissed off that he had to work on them. Slamming tools around, slamming the customers heads around, the entire time talking about how bad they are at whatever point he was highlighting. Had something to do with valve seat runout, I think.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

A little knowledge and YouTube is dangerous thing! This guys knowledge is little and his YouTube hack jobs are dangerously bad! LOL :roll:

If you think this is the secret to a great set of heads you should look at some of the ocean front beach property I have for sale in Phoenix!

My suggestion to the OP is if you have not had a lot of experience specing, sorting and setting up sets of performance heads, do yourself a budget and final result favor. Buy a nice inexpensive set of proper size complete heads from someone like ProMaxx, have them checked for valve guide clearance, finished valve job, get a good set of Cometic head gaskets, bolt them on and go!

In your use and situation they will do everything you need RELIABLY for a very reasonable cost without jumping off the cliff you may be creating! JMO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

I ran them on a 10:1 468. Made 670 with a 266@.050 solid roller 1050 and a super vic.. out of the box bowl blend. .

Not my choice but the customer had them and they ran surprisingly well. They were nice heavy castings.
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

Jesus....I never said the guy does good port work, even pointed out that I don't....
all I was saying was you can get some idea of what that casting features from said videos.

Christ, what a soap opera,.... getting to be like the 'Bullet over here too. Guess I better crawl back under my rock, the "adults" are talking....
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Ericnova wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 pm Jesus....I never said the guy does good port work, even pointed out that I don't....
all I was saying was you can get some idea of what that casting features from said videos.

Christ, what a soap opera,.... getting to be like the 'Bullet over here too. Guess I better crawl back under my rock, the "adults" are talking....
That wasn't directed towards you in a negative manner, sorry if it came off that way. I literally thought those were parodies when I first saw his videos. But soon realized, no, this guy really thinks he has it figured out. I love the one how he shows you how to port match 2.5 inch zoomy headers to the ex ports on some ajpe hemi heads. The shop vac and spray paint method 👍.
496s10

Post by 496s10 »

MTENGINES wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 pm I ran them on a 10:1 468. Made 670 with a 266@.050 solid roller 1050 and a super vic.. out of the box bowl blend. .

Not my choice but the customer had them and they ran surprisingly well. They were nice heavy castings.
I have searched every where and nobody would own up to using them i am glad to finally see a some feedback from someone who has actually used them. I have a 496 that i am going to use them on. I know they are on the large side but with those numbers on a 468 i know my 496 will be fine.
496s10

Post by 496s10 »

blwilliams wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:24 pm I sell the same castings as advertised by KMJ.
I replaced them with a set of Dart CNC 355 and actually ran a bit quicker with the import casting. I figured the smaller port size attributed to this.
they have a ski jump short side design which usually creates air speed may have helped the port act smaller. It may not be as bad of a designed head as people have claimed
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

496s10 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:17 am
blwilliams wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:24 pm I sell the same castings as advertised by KMJ.
they have a ski jump short side design which usually creates air speed may have helped the port act smaller. It may not be as bad of a designed head as people have claimed
Its not a bad designed head, its a good copy. The only issue really, is the stud hole on the intake ports is fairly non existent. It looks like its a cross between a Dart and a Pro topline/Rhs, with a bit of pro comp thrown in. It has the Pro comp exhaust port. A Dart ish chamber, and a Pro topline ish intake port. As said above, I did 1 set that went on a 565. It made 975hp.