SBC cam help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Re: SBC cam help

Post by Scotthatch »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:24 pm This build took a turn for a lot of hassle. Putting it together and degreeing the cam last night. The card wants a 108 ICL. The chain set at dot to dot put the ICL at 117. We moved the chain to the +4 setting and now have a 112 ICL. We may leave it there. Had no P - V clearance on either valves. These AFR 227 heads have moved the valves a little. Gonna have to notch the pistons. Allready did a couple of the exhaust notches with a Lindy Tool (i'm getting lots of experience with these tools). Never built a motor yet where I had to notch for both valves. Will post pics for reference soon. If we moved the cam to the 108 ICL what would that do for PV clearance? I'm guessing it would make one valve worse and one better ? Which ones? Maybe then only have to notch one side of the piston ?

As you advance the cam the exhaust will get better and the intake worse

Never seen a cam that far off ... are you sure the chain is in right ? Tooth off maybe?
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

If the chain is right I guess the other question is how did you zero the degree wheel and how did you find lobe center
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I just re-did it all with the head off the motor and with the balancer that belongs with the motor ( I had been using a stocker that was honed out a little so it would go on and off easier) This time with the chain still in the +4 position I am nearly dead on what the card calls for. The card says ITO 28 and ITC 55 and I got 29 and 53.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 pm I just re-did it all with the head off the motor and with the balancer that belongs with the motor ( I had been using a stocker that was honed out a little so it would go on and off easier) This time with the chain still in the +4 position I am nearly dead on what the card calls for. The card says ITO 28 and ITC 55 and I got 29 and 53.
That's good ... glad you sorted it out
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

that method put me at a 103 ICL with the chain in the +4 spot. I then moved it to the -2 spot which should get me to a 110 ICL. Then checked the PV clearance and I think I have enough now on the intake valves.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

thanks for your help scott.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

Your welcome
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Just did the exhaust valve notch. I'm a little disappointed in these heads. They were super expsensive as well as the matching T&D shaft rockers, we had to do a whole bunch of grinding in the pushrod holes. With 1.5 rockers and 5/16 pushrods they all rubbed lots. Its like the pushrod holes weren't machined enough. Called AFR tech and the guy said to just put it together and it would self clearance !! You could see the pushrod bow as it went through its travel.

IMG_2373.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

AFR 195 ?? Should be stock intake port and valve location maybe a raised ex port ... not sure what up ....where did you get the heads?
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

AFR 227 competition heads with T & D rockers.
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

I have not personally used these heads- but don’t 227’s require offset rockers and pushrod seats in the lifters?? Do you have these? It just seems that something isn’t adding up- maybe someone who has used thes a lot can help- Joeporting has used/done a bunch I think—
Jason
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Sounds like the rockers are wrong for the heads. I could see modifications if you were trying to run a 7/16 pushrod but stock diameter and only a 1.5 ratio should be a drop on.

Also, watch the radial clearance on the intake valve, you can have the physical vertical clearance but be close to hitting the pocket wall.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

the rockers are the matching T&D with the .450 offset intakes. We are not using offset lifters.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

Normally you would run a 180 offset lifter and 7/16 pushrod

You can run a center lifter but you are at the max of making it work

Big worry is the pushrod ... you might get it to live with a heavy wall 3/8 depending on spring pressure
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:25 pm Just did the exhaust valve notch. I'm a little disappointed in these heads. They were super expsensive as well as the matching T&D shaft rockers, we had to do a whole bunch of grinding in the pushrod holes. With 1.5 rockers and 5/16 pushrods they all rubbed lots. Its like the pushrod holes weren't machined enough. Called AFR tech and the guy said to just put it together and it would self clearance !! You could see the pushrod bow as it went through its travel.
IMG_2373.JPG
The AFR 227's have 60/40 valve spacing which is clearly stated in all their literature.

They are not supposed to fit into standard valve notches in the pistons.

Why are you blaming the heads because your rocker arms don't fit perfect;
the heads are not made to fit the rocker arms but, it is supposed to be the other way around.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.