spring w/damper against Titanium retainer

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
spring w/damper against Titanium retainer

Post by Dragsinger »

The PAC 1226 spring will do what I need but what about the damper against a Titanium retainer?

SBC Dart Pro 1 heads, 275# on seat at 2.050" - 660# open, drag race roller, 7800 upper RPM, stainless steel valves, .700 lift
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: spring w/damper against Titanium retainer

Post by ProPower engines »

Dragsinger wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:11 am The PAC 1226 spring will do what I need but what about the damper against a Titanium retainer?

SBC Dart Pro 1 heads, 275# on seat at 2.050" - 660# open, drag race roller, 7800 upper RPM, stainless steel valves, .700 lift
Sounds like you need to take the dampers out and carefully dress and radius and smooth out the contact area of the damper coil.
I have to do that on every set of springs that use a damper coil. It seems that regardless of who's springs they are that damper will chew its way into a retainer or head if its sharp edges/corners at the end of the damper not dealt with.
Not onlt the ends need attention but the entire damper can have sharp side edges as well that can manifest into a crack and have broken dampers floating inside the main spring between the inner and outer.
It does make for some time consuming hands on work and when you have to explain to the customer they need to be detailed some times that can be a PITA conversation on a monday morning we all never want to have or any day for that matter.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

ProPower engines wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 am
Dragsinger wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:11 am The PAC 1226 spring will do what I need but what about the damper against a Titanium retainer?

Sounds like you need to take the dampers out and carefully dress and radius and smooth out the contact area of the damper coil.
I have to do that on every set of springs that use a damper coil. It seems that regardless of who's springs they are that damper will chew its way into a retainer or head if its sharp edges/corners at the end of the damper not dealt with.
Not onlt the ends need attention but the entire damper can have sharp side edges as well that can manifest into a crack and have broken dampers floating inside the main spring between the inner and outer.
It does make for some time consuming hands on work and when you have to explain to the customer they need to be detailed some times that can be a PITA conversation on a monday morning we all never want to have or any day for that matter.
Very good advice that applies to any metal parts coming in contact with each other.

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but plenty of time to do it over?
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

I have it worked out, double spring, no damper.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

An 8,000 RPM road race engine I worked on had Ti retainers and Isky dual coils with damper springs. Despite meticulously prepping the coil ends, after ~ 10 hours use the coils had eaten about halfway through a fortunately thick portion of the retainers. We swapped in tool steel retainers of only a couple of grams more weight and they have now run 3 seasons with no evident wear.

A current build in progress is using PAC springs but sticking with the tool steel retainers.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

MadBill wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 pm An 8,000 RPM road race engine I worked on had Ti retainers and Isky dual coils with damper springs. Despite meticulously prepping the coil ends, after ~ 10 hours use the coils had eaten about halfway through a fortunately thick portion of the retainers. We swapped in tool steel retainers of only a couple of grams more weight and they have now run 3 seasons with no evident wear.

A current build in progress is using PAC springs but sticking with the tool steel retainers.
Ditto. And with coated Ti.