Bad bronze guide liner work

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

integrale Evo

Re: Bad bronze guide liner work

Post by integrale Evo »

Frankshaft wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:16 pm
4vpc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 pm Some more delights on this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufou8RMAvlo
How not to grind and check valve seats.
Right, and as mentioned above, 142,000+ views, so, people are obviously interested in that stuff, but, again, I bet 100,000 of those people, actually think that's the way to do it. I am amazed at how many of those types of videos are on there. There is a Harley guy with a bunch of videos, he also makes me cringe. He has a video showing how to hone a cylinder. An aluminum twin cam cylinder by the way, using a bench mounted rod hone with the Sunnen A.N. honing head, no tq plates honing by hand and using an inside mic to measure??? Serious???? I made a comment, where is the Tq plates and dial bore gauge, and I got slammed about not knowing what I am talking about. Twin cam cylinders move a TON. And an inside mic to measure while your honing? Serious? And I don't know what I am talkin about. Ok then, carry on.

Or the countless videos on how to hone a block. #-o . Wow.
People do genuinely think they can learn the job from watching YT on a cellphone. There was a guy recently asking around about how to get the basics on engines and building, I offered to let him put some hours in at my shop on a give and take basis, he never took me up on it as he said he was going to learn it all by just calling me up for a chat and watching it on YT. :lol:

Another guy emailed me a few weeks back quizzing me on how I check piston to bore clearance and correct bore dimensions and could he come and inspect my workshop as he was an engineer working on behalf of some customer. He went on to tell me the best way was to use a fisherman's scales to drag the pistons through and that's how I should be doing it. He then sent me some internet guide he'd found showing it and was none too happy when I laughed :mrgreen:
I went on to tell him I was quite relieved that none of his work was coming my way, I then received a very angry email sent from him at about 3am telling me what he thought about my business (he'd never been) me (who he'd never met) and also that he didn't think much to the area it was situated in as he'd looked it up on Google maps :lol:
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

jcisworthy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:29 pm fordified wrote
"I'd like to see the video. I have a mill and some other machines but want to buy a vgs20 and a surfacer for my own stuff. I don't do machine work for a living and if a mill can do the same job but slower it may save me some money and space"

Hang in there fordified it will be 2-3 weeks tops.

It consists of existing products and some things I developed. A digital leveling system that is accurate to .0001" a very rigid rollover fixture that woks with a BHJ block tru, very handy articulating work stands, a relatively quick tool change system, a CBN/PCD fly cutter setup which yields excellent results and more.

It is an efficient, affordable, complete, simplified "turn Key" system for a vertical mill. I made all the mistakes and prototypes etc and you get the fine tuned system.

The videos will clear up any questions on how it all goes together but it is really not difficult. I will give every tip I know to help the end user.
Thanks. I'll be looking forward to it.
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

I started doing some videos precisely because of guys like Headbytes. There is so much misinformation out there and if you read the comments, most people think this guy and others like him are all genius's. The machining world's version of Fakenews. I sleeve aluminum V12 BMW's for a customer and found a video recently of another shop that did one. He beats the daylights out of the sleeves to get them in, every whack with his sledge moves the sleeve about 1/4". The block is bouncing all over his mickey-mouse CNC table. Considering that he's an expert, he should be aware of liquid nitrogen. Youtube is full of endless similar entertainment
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I like your videos Motion. I pay more attention to the fixturing than anything else though.
To the fellow who wants to do the Bridgeport series. Go for it.
While there will be a couple of Debbie Downers here the rest of us will take what little tidbit we might glean from it and thank you.

Videos, at least a decent one isn't easy. I have been trying to do one and have been going through cameras, lighting and editing and still don't have one worth posting. Some day.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:51 am
mdabbott2009 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:44 am The bad thing is most kids go to YouTube see this guy saying extra good job and he doesn’t like to take chances!

What then happens they think that’s the actual way it’s post to be done.

Would be nice if some of the good guys would put out short videos showing some of the steps that is actually done correctly.
Judging by the customers, it's not the kids who are being duped. :shock:

I usually try to give those people a real example of a GREAT head guy. Chad Speier, for example. I know I've recommended following him to more than a couple of people who thought Headbytes was actually good at what he does.

Or I let them know he's what you watch to learn what NOT to do.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Schwien76j

Post by Schwien76j »

Chad Speier? The used car salesman from Hays, KS?
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Schwien76j wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:42 am Chad Speier? The used car salesman from Hays, KS?
What the [DELETE THIS POST]

Yeah my father was self employed in the car business for 40 years. You got a problem with that?
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Somebody's been on Google apparently and thinks they found something? Or they're trying to talk shit on the sly... Considering this guy and "headguy" both mentioned used car salesmen, I'd guess it's the same person :-k

http://m.usbizs.com/KS/Hays/SAS_Auto_bFQ.html
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

ProPower engines wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:30 pm WOW.......What a hack.
I have never seen anything a stupid as this guy.makes you wonder about all those BY'rs we here about and where they got their info from. ](*,) ](*,)

That one was as bad as those two dick heads on hod rod garage that heated a press fit stock rod cherry red to push the pin in using a rose bud oxy/act. torch
We can't fix stupid but we sure as hell can invoice it :lol: :lol:

I never watched HRG but someone I know turned the TV off when he saw them start to bolt a transmission onto an engine. An automatic transmission. With the torque converter already bolted to the engine.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

The machining world's version of Fakenews
lol comments section is the best....those guys wont pay fora real motor those will be the ebay disasters
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Didn't we just have a thread about "some people should not be allowed to own tools"? This guy is the poster child.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Not related to any specific preceding post but useful insights are to be had by Googling The Dunning-Kruger Effect "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments (PDF)." -David Dunning and Justin Kruger
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

Dunning-kruger. Very eye opening theory. Basically the skills equivalent of ignorance is bliss.

The counterpoint is imposter syndrome. Where something comes naturally to someone. And because of that they suspect it's actually not that hard and they aren't that talented.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

If a guy with a drill and file in their bathroom on YT can get business, so can you guys if you present it right.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I'm seeing a guy who is pretty much out to pasture.....but wants to share with EVERYBODY all the cool stuff he knows.
With how he talks, and how screwed up the work is, it's kind of a comedy......but what's the problem?
I don't' think he should quit. Half the stuff he does goes wrong, but he leaves it in. That's some kind of bravery I don't have.

I'd love to see somebody's bridgeport setups and fixturing. :D
I don't expect nor require it to be an example of perfection, or to agree with everything. If there is a good chance I will learn something, or think a different way, then that's good enough