Thicker head gasket ??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

arifalco
Thicker head gasket ??

Post by arifalco »

Hi !!

I have a question and would appreciate your opinion
I have an old nissan HB ,d21,4x4, with the z24 , straight-four , carburetor, 8 valve , sohc , breaker point ignition , engine.
The problem is that the cylinderhead and cylinderblock has been milled/shaved to much,(i did not know that when i bougth the car).
The head has probably,( i do not know for sure), been milled at least 0.030in(0.76mm) and the block at least 0.010in(0.25mm) , as you understand i cant get the engine to work as is should , the engine starts and runs but not as it should.
Nissan says limit for head and block is 0,008in , (0,2mm) , TOTAL.
I have some chain slack and timing issues.
My question is : does it help if i put a thicker head gasket ?? , i found one in Mexico,(ebay) for sale thats 2mm , (0.078 inch).

ANY IDEAS ???
tresi
Pro
Pro
Re: Thicker head gasket ??

Post by tresi »

I know at one time some company had a whole line of .015" solid copper head gasket shims for excessively milled blocks and heads. I don't know what's still out there but somebody through some money at the problem.
arifalco

Post by arifalco »

Well...to find a thicker gasket is not the problem...even copper gaskets in what ever thickness.
My problem is that my cylinderblock and head are shaved/milled to much.....
The question is if a thicker gasket will restore cam/crank/valve timing ??
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

arifalco wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:04 am Well...to find a thicker gasket is not the problem...even copper gaskets in what ever thickness.
My problem is that my cylinderblock and head are shaved/milled to much.....
The question is if a thicker gasket will restore cam/crank/valve timing ??
arifalco, I would think the thicker gasket should help your problem with chain being loose, compression maybe a little high and should restore stock cam timming to some degree, if it was me I would degree the camshaft after installing a thicker gasket. JMO
arifalco

Post by arifalco »

but i wonder how much difference a thicker head gasket will make...., stock gasket is approximately 0.047in , and the thicker one is 0.078in , (the thicker one will be 0.047 compressed) , so they say
I don't really know....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAD-GASKET-TH ... 3218371187
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Short answer - YES!

The thicker head gasket only exists to solve the problem you have.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

arifalco wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 am Hi !!

I have a question and would appreciate your opinion
I have an old nissan HB ,d21,4x4, with the z24 , straight-four , carburetor, 8 valve , sohc , breaker point ignition , engine.
The problem is that the cylinderhead and cylinderblock has been milled/shaved to much,(i did not know that when i bougth the car).
The head has probably,( i do not know for sure), been milled at least 0.030in(0.76mm) and the block at least 0.010in(0.25mm) , as you understand i cant get the engine to work as is should , the engine starts and runs but not as it should.
Nissan says limit for head and block is 0,008in , (0,2mm) , TOTAL.
I have some chain slack and timing issues.
My question is : does it help if i put a thicker head gasket ?? , i found one in Mexico,(ebay) for sale thats 2mm , (0.078 inch).

ANY IDEAS ???
Fel Pro Head saver shim part number 9210SP. It’s .020” It’s a copper shim that you use against the block, under the gasket.

That should be enough. My own D21 with a Z24 has a head I milled .020” , I didn’t use a shim and its been fine.

One thing with chain slack, if you used a wedge to hold the timing chain in place, it’s easy to bend up the chain guides and that will cause problems.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o