Does anyone here have the capability to bore/hone the ID of a bronze tube?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Does anyone here have the capability to bore/hone the ID of a bronze tube?

Post by cgarb »

Is this some sort of a cam tunnel to keep camshaft oil off of the crankshaft? Just a wild guess on my part but if it is something of the sort does the ID need to be the same diameter all the way through or could it be finished in lands with undercuts in between the lands. We do long sleeves like this at my place of employment and in our application the ends and O ring grooves are what's important. We rough in the OD, rough bore the lands on the ends, finish the ID o-ring grooves to size and finish the undercuts in the bore to size. Then the part gets heat treated and it gets finish ID then OD cylindrical ground. Just a thought, maybe it could be of some help.
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

What is it and why has it been designed to be so diabolical to make?
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 pm
blykins wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:01 pm I have a piece of bronze tubing, ~24" long, that needs the ID finished to a specific size, +/- .0005". Finished ID needs to be 2.1270".

Anyone here have that capability?
Im reading this as one I.D. All the way through. If I had a long enough mandrel for the Sunnen bench hone, I would prob try and take the .015” that way, holding the piece by hand, going light and slow, measuring often. It would take a while. The hone will not necessarily produce a perfectly concentric result.
It is one ID all the way though.

cgarb nailed it, it's a drop-in enclosed camshaft tunnel. It's actually inside of an engine block right now and my first thought was to align hone it, but I don't have my own machine and I hated to jack my buddy's stones up if it didn't work. Honestly, I don't even have to take .015" out of it, but just get it nice and straight and then grind the camshaft journals down to fit if necessary.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

If it's in the block then line bore it. Not strange at all, that's how 20% of cam bearings are finished anyway.