Valve / seat height concern

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Valve / seat height concern

Post by Keith Morganstein »

pdq67 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:38 pm Who actually casts EQ heads?

And do they machine them for sale/resale in house or the raw castings sold to shops that machine them??

pdq67
Toowoomba Metal Technologies in Australia.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

If the ebay seller is AAA MidWest they are a division of EQ.
EQ has the replacement marine castings for the GM 217 casting which flow very well and compared to the Dart iron eagle out of the box they are a better head for a stock type build.
They use a std. 1.250 OD spring and are good for about .500 lift. DO NOT try to put a 1.6 exh. valve in them. It can be done but I have hit water doing it and they don't flow any better anyway. They are a very good head for the money but you can get better heads that will work with the vortec chamber from Dart. I use them on marine builds as the machining accuracy is more like a HP head should be where the EQ head needs some work as does the Darts but that is why we get heads bare and make them right :D
But as mentioned the tip heights should be with in +/- .005" max. There is room to touch up seats and correct the heights but I have seen where the exh. seats are higher then the intakes causing some flow loss at overlap as the seat height difference allows incoming air/fuel to be scavenged out the exh. at overlap causing a power loss.
We found 10 HP by correcting that minor issue making the valve faces parallel to each other when seated in the chamber to help keeping comp. the same hole to hole =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:40 pm
Schurkey wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 pm I thought A&A Midwest were "the" folks for Enginequest castings.
They are the importer/distributor of the castings. I didn’t know they offered complete assembled heads or who is assembling them.
I use the castings, but buy them bare and they need prep before assembly. Often the guides are too big (I.D) and I put liners in, then a valve job.
I find the same thing and as I to only get them bare I treat them as a very good core head I don't have to install seats in.

Looking at them from that stand point they are a bargin when you consider the cost of getting heads from a wrecker then cleaning and maging and pressure testing they are a steal at that price.

I realize most guys consider them a freshly machined head ready to assembly like other heads they need work to get them perfect.
Valve manufacture choice also has a lot to do with consistent margin thickness's so when comparing and checking I go from the chamber face to the tip and compare the lengths the longest valve measured this way will have the shortest installed tip height. And thats another issue some are made with a .250 groove to tip length others are about .280 to.300 creating a non symmetrical tip height situation that leaves guys pissed off with the parts they just got.

I simple tool is a 2" machinists square. It can be used to check face heights in the chamber and when compared to the tip heights they should be the same it the chamber measurement is flush. That allow's you to set the stop on a level head and machine to the same depths keeping the chamber depths all the same thus it helps to keep their volumes all the same.
very important on restricted engines that are teched all the time when the win =P~
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:25 pm

And do they machine them for sale/resale in house or the raw castings sold to shops that machine them??

pdq67
Toowoomba Metal Technologies in New Zealand.
FIFY.

I don't know who machines them.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:25 pm

pdq67
Toowoomba Metal Technologies in Australia.
Same people that use to be Pro Top Line.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

AFAIK, they're cast by Precision Foundry in NZ. I'm guessing theyre the same people?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING