Thank you all that have responded.
Cap rotor and distributor are brand new
sc2dave
Expert
Expert
Location: Los Angeles, in The People's republic of Kalifornia

Re: Stumped with backfire from carburator

Post by sc2dave »

once warmed up, create a small vacuum leak to see if it revs up. If it does, too rich.
huero

Post by huero »

Pulled the cap on the port at the carb base (manifold vacuum) and rpms increased slightly
geraldtson

Post by geraldtson »

From all the things you've checked i think i'd remove sparkplugs and vale covers and turn engine over manually or by starter and see if you can find a sticking intake valve. Could be shavings in valve guides if recently reworked or number of things. Burnt valve,bent valve.sticking lifter in bore and so on.Can't really tell by video but engine doesn't really sound right either, maybe to high on timing. Spark plugs don't reflect it but if you have vacuum brake booster make sure its plugged in? Don't think You have one on that application but just if. Engine sounds lean but looks rich? Recheck for true TDC mark on damper. Also check that you don't have any dripping boosters at idle?
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

I just watched the first video and looking at the carb as it was running, noticed what looked like a small puffing shooting out from the front left lower portion of the carb. Possibly an uncovered vacuum port??
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I think that's a reflection from the fan blade..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
huero

Post by huero »

fdicrasto wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:01 pm I just watched the first video and looking at the carb as it was running, noticed what looked like a small puffing shooting out from the front left lower portion of the carb. Possibly an uncovered vacuum port??
Fan Blade
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Any time a Holley backfires, you have to replace the power valves. If they are blown, raw fuel will leak past them and go down the PV vacuum port causing a rich idle.

If it's an old 56 car/truck, did you replace all the wiring and not use chassis grounds? Old wiring will give you a weak ignition and all the old rusty body/frame metal will make for bad grounds. Use wired grounds.
Joe Facciano
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

JoePorting wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:27 am Any time a Holley backfires, you have to replace the power valves. If they are blown, raw fuel will leak past them and go down the PV vacuum port causing a rich idle.

If it's an old 56 car/truck, did you replace all the wiring and not use chassis grounds? Old wiring will give you a weak ignition and all the old rusty body/frame metal will make for bad grounds. Use wired grounds.
Absolutely not true. Almost any newer Holley has a check valve to prevent this. Even before this it didn’t happen every time.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

JoePorting wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:27 am Any time a Holley backfires, you have to replace the power valves.
I've had many backfires on my carb and never had to change pv.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert

Post by sc2dave »

Huero, any updates?
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

After a backfire you have to replace the whole carburetor. A backfire will rupture the diaphragm in the fuel pump and cause the gas tank to have a hernia. If it is an electric fuel pump it will spin the motor backwards and blow so much electricity back it will cause the battery to have a hernia. A strong backfire will blow the spark back and cause the plug wires to prolapse and the coil to have a hernia. Don't forget to re-torque the manifold bolts or maybe the lug nuts.
huero

Post by huero »

sc2dave wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:00 pm Huero, any updates?
Sorry, for the delay and thank u to all that are helping. Unfortunately for me, the only update is that I admitted myself to the ER on Friday and today I am getting surgery to get a gall bladder delete.
https://flic.kr/p/GHGnFC
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

lol
lg1969

Post by lg1969 »

I suggest of trying a hotter heat range on the plugs. It look like the are a little cold. Running a carb without a choke sometime does not help either.
Louis