GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Ported Dart 215 pro1 platinum with port energy discussion 2.0

Post by GARY C »

Rick360 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:36 pm Gary,
What type bench do you have?

Rick
SF110, I included that in a question to you a page or 2 back. Just what I could afford years ago so I wasn't porting blind.

Dennis Wells of Wells racing helped me a lot to get started and made it clear that if I got serious on professional porting that I would need a big boy bench to see the effect of small changes such as valve seat variations.

So far when my heads are flowed on a SF600 the variation is a cfm or 2 of what I got from my bench. The 600 is what my machine shop guy uses as with most here locally.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

GARY C wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Rick
SF110, I included that in a question to you a page or 2 back. Just what I could afford years ago so I wasn't porting blind.

Dennis Wells of Wells racing helped me a lot to get started and made it clear that if I got serious on professional porting that I would need a big boy bench to see the effect of small changes such as valve seat variations.

So far when my heads are flowed on a SF600 the variation is a cfm or 2 of what I got from my bench. The 600 is what my machine shop guy uses as with most here locally.
If your flowz compares close to a SF600 then that's fine. No reason to do any more. The biggest potential error in your setup is getting bad information flowing at 8" or 10" wc instead of 28" or 40" or 50"wc.
28" will tell you wrong sometimes but the odds go up when flowing at 8 or 10", especially when trying to get that really good mid-lift flow.

Rick
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Rick360 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:03 pm
GARY C wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Rick

If your flowz compares close to a SF600 then that's fine. No reason to do any more. The biggest potential error in your setup is getting bad information flowing at 8" or 10" wc instead of 28" or 40" or 50"wc.
28" will tell you wrong sometimes but the odds go up when flowing at 8 or 10", especially when trying to get that really good mid-lift flow.

Rick
Yes thats why I always had my #'s checked on a 600, with my minimal experience I wanted to make sure I hadn't totally screwed up.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Maybe we should not worry about calibrated dynos, I mean they all read a bit different anyway and as long the the power goes up all good right...
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

digger wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:25 pm Maybe we should not worry about calibrated dynos, I mean they all read a bit different anyway and as long the the power goes up all good right...
From what I saw from last years EMC, the guys were basically duplicating the numbers they saw at home, so you had multiple people from different states using different dyno's and then getting matching results on the same dyno.

If you were only trying a few things to see if it improved power then it probably doen's matter but if you needed accurate data for power changes then it does.
Please Note!
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

cspeier wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:13 am If either of you two would spend more time digesting rather than proving things wrong, you would both be better at what you do. FACT
Your opinion isn't fact.

Randy
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Umm.. not learning anything here.. can everyone quit being so stingy with the head porting lessons? #-o :lol:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

groberts101 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:53 pm Umm.. not learning anything here.. can everyone quit being so stingy with the head porting lessons? #-o :lol:
Tech on a Tech forum?... Sherly you jest! :)
Please Note!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

steve316 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm If it is not some sales pitch them why does it have to be calibrated to the max; as long as your making gains on your bench isn't that what counts?
You are right Steve, until you get your crap in a small pile and then you have pros saying your bench is as happy as a kid in a candy store. The other side of the coin are the people who say cfm and port energy mean nothing. They usually get the best flow per cc of port by the way. The misinformation is interesting. For the guys who made more power with the lower port energy heads the higher port energy heads were TOO fast for that application. Chad is right shape is king, get the shape right and you can get a fast port with low speed differential from floor to roof and the whole port just works better.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Carnut1 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:49 am The misinformation is interesting. For the guys who made more power with the lower port energy heads the higher port energy heads were TOO fast for that application. Chad is right shape is king, get the shape right and you can get a fast port with low speed differential from floor to roof and the whole port just works better.
With all due respect, this could easily be perceived as misinformation right here. Have you tested and confirmed this? Or is this regurgitation? Sounds good though I guess.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Interesting how there is a triumvirate who knows all and will tell almost everybody that they are wrong but never posts how or why something should be done. :?

And another one (thread) bites the dust. :(

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Stan Weiss wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 pm Interesting how there is a triumvirate who knows all and will tell almost everybody that they are wrong but never posts how or why something should be done. :?

Stan
I wish Don would incorporate a "Like" button.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

RevTheory wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 pm
Stan Weiss wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 pm Interesting how there is a triumvirate who knows all and will tell almost everybody that they are wrong but never posts how or why something should be done. :?

Stan
I wish Don would incorporate a "Like" button.
Be careful what you wish for.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Story of my life :D
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I think it should be live video chat, it would drastically change the conversation.
Please Note!