Re: Ported Dart 215 pro1 platinum with port energy discussion 2.0

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

Who gives a shit, your data is only as good as your notes with Your bench, Your line voltage, Your elevation,Your track times, guys that try to match flow numbers in magazines or "professional Head Porters" are wasting their time, and are also the ones hooked on CFM or PE only, which will obviously give you a pig port, Ive seen the same thing as Rick, flat mount verse SF head adapter mount will show different numbers with the stock SF plate and a PTS machined plate, another thing every one likes to believe the SF is not temp sensitive but to a point it is.
Tom
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Rick360 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 pm
Carnut1 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm
Fyi superflow calibrates at 25"
I think the SF300 ranges are at 25" but the SF600 is 28"

Rick
If I can flow a head on my SF110 and then pay an independent shop to flow it on their SF600 and get the same numbers within 1 or 2 hear and there then what am I missing?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

zums wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm Who gives a shit, your data is only as good as your notes with Your bench, Your line voltage, Your elevation,Your track times, guys that try to match flow numbers in magazines or "professional Head Porters" are wasting their time, and are also the ones hooked on CFM or PE only, which will obviously give you a pig port, Ive seen the same thing as Rick, flat mount verse SF head adapter mount will show different numbers with the stock SF plate and a PTS machined plate, another thing every one likes to believe the SF is not temp sensitive but to a point it is.
Tom
Tom, I always log the temp and r.h with every bench test no doubt my bench loses a few cfm when the garage and motors are hot as hell. I will disagree with your statment that port energy will give you a large port. If you check the graph Chad beats my Dart 215's ported to 232cc on port energy with a 205cc cylinder head that flows nearly the same. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

zums wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm Who gives a shit, your data is only as good as your notes with Your bench, Your line voltage, Your elevation,Your track times, guys that try to match flow numbers in magazines or "professional Head Porters" are wasting their time, and are also the ones hooked on CFM or PE only, which will obviously give you a pig port, Ive seen the same thing as Rick, flat mount verse SF head adapter mount will show different numbers with the stock SF plate and a PTS machined plate, another thing every one likes to believe the SF is not temp sensitive but to a point it is.
Tom
Considering both are addressed in the instruction manual why would you mount the calibration plate on the adapter when it says not to and why would you disregard the temp gauges on the bench when it says not to?

I have never met a head porter or bench operator that would.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

When you use a sharp orifice plate the cylinder below it must be as large as possible so that it does not diffuse the flow.
A to small cylinder shows higher flow.

Erland
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

Gary, when i tried a flow plate on a Superflow 600 i wondered how it can flow a head on top of the cylinder but not a plate?

Erland
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

Carnut1 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:30 pm
Tom
Tom, I always log the temp and r.h with every bench test no doubt my bench loses a few cfm when the garage and motors are hot as hell. I will disagree with your statment that port energy will give you a large port. If you check the graph Chad beats my Dart 215's ported to 232cc on port energy with a 205cc cylinder head that flows nearly the same. Thanks, Charlie
Charlie, until you check both heads on your bench, its useless data
Tom
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Erland Cox wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm Gary, when i tried a flow plate on a Superflow 600 i wondered how it can flow a head on top of the cylinder but not a plate?

Erland
Yes they may be a whole new discussion in it's self but I would not know the answer, I tried it just to see the difference and even though my small bench doesn't just much difference at all I still go through the trouble to do it correct.
Please Note!
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

GARY C wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:46 pm
Tom
Considering both are addressed in the instruction manual why would you mount the calibration plate on the adapter when it says not to and why would you disregard the temp gauges on the bench when it says not to?

Do you do track testing or work on engines, or just parrot what you read on the internet
Tom
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

zums wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:55 pm
GARY C wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:46 pm
Tom

Do you do track testing or work on engines, or just parrot what you read on the internet
Tom
Good job of avoiding the question.
Please Note!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

zums wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:54 pm
Carnut1 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:30 pm
Tom
Charlie, until you check both heads on your bench, its useless data
Tom
I hear you Tom, sooner or later one of Chad's heads will cross my bench.
631-816-4911
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Take your plate and put it on the top of the fixture and record the number.

Then take the fixture off and record the number.

Then find the SF formula for using a sharp edge plate and run the calibration numbers.

Then get back to me.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

cspeier wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:24 pm Take your plate and put it on the top of the fixture and record the number.

Then find the SF formula for using a sharp edge plate and run the calibration numbers.

Then get back to me.
Is this for me Chad?
631-816-4911
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Carnut1 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:07 pm
cspeier wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:24 pm Take your plate and put it on the top of the fixture and record the number.

Then get back to me.
Is this for me Chad?
No, not in particular. Anyone.

Just trying to show those guys in Colorado Springs are far from dumb.

MOOO
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

zums wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm Who gives a shit, your data is only as good as your notes with Your bench,
Exactly.

The only reason to try and defend the calibration of your bench, is if your selling cfm.

I could care less if my flowz are believed or not.

One guy I did a set of heads for asked what they flow. I said more than they did. LOL

Maybe I should start handing out flowz sheets with that on there ??? LOL

Randy