Need some help on a BBF cam/dist interference...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Need some help on a BBF cam/dist interference...

Post by cjperformance »

blykins wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:52 pm The plot thickens....

I did have another cam here for a BBF. I measured the OD and the width and compared it to the one that's in the Eliminator block. Exact same specs.

At this point, I'm just gonna whack some off of the distributor gear for giggles. If that doesn't work, then I'm gonna go belt drive.
Ok if OD on can gear is the same(did you also compare width of the ends of the teeth?) as another it is either the dissy gear OR the position of the distributor mounting hole in the block!! Well or the cam centerline!

The cam gear does go extremely deep in the dissy gear so even if you got it to turn I'd be worried about gear life.

Belt drive or crank wheel looking good ...
Craig.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Got another MSD distributor in today. It seemed to go in easier but still locked up tight when it got seated.

So, I took the gear off the other distributor and cut the OD of it down by .060". Popped it back on, and hit middle of spec (4.000") on the install dimension. Dropped it in, still same issue.

At this point, I need to move forward with the build, so I just ordered a belt drive distributor kit from Keith Fulp to work with the Danny Bee belt drive and the front motor plate that he made for me.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

blykins wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:19 pm Got another MSD distributor in today. It seemed to go in easier but still locked up tight when it got seated.

So, I took the gear off the other distributor and cut the OD of it down by .060". Popped it back on, and hit middle of spec (4.000") on the install dimension. Dropped it in, still same issue.

At this point, I need to move forward with the build, so I just ordered a belt drive distributor kit from Keith Fulp to work with the Danny Bee belt drive and the front motor plate that he made for me.
So it's the cam gear tooth width or the block itself.
Yep, belt dissy and move forward!
Craig.
R.Olds
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Olds »

Comp will never fess to messing up, so unless you have a different block to try it in you will never know for sure. My bet is the block is out of spec just like the one I encountered. Good luck with the build.... :)

Rick
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

I'm sure you have gone passed your problem by now but just thought that I would mention that I did a BBC Merlin with similar problem only I couldn't get the dist in. It only went in and out when I turned the motor. Even when I wound it in I couldn't pull it out until I turned the motor. It happened to be the Crane cam that didn't have the gear cut right. The OD measured OK but the width on the teeth were too thick not having any backlash between the 2 gears. Replaced cam and all good.