Budget high power igniton system to fire alcohol and high boost?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Budget high power igniton system to fire alcohol and high boost?

Post by Orr89rocz »

I dont like the “lightweight” words when talking about boosted cranks and rods but thats a different topic. Just thought i’d add that.

I have heard ls coil packs getting close to that power in boosted combos but doubt you can do it all for 500$. At this point in the game imo you are better off taking the savings from the used motor and spending it on proper ignition to make this work correctly else its all gonna be a waste of time and be disappointed
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

MTENGINES wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 am
statsystems wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 pm AFAIK they stopped making the 10 in 2008-2009 becuase a mag will do everything the 10 will and more.
And he will find a mag for under $500? I suggested an MSD that he could find used. an 8 or 7 will work also.

But then again. I haven't had problems lighting 1400whp on alcohol with a 7531 and a nology coil. 30lbs of boost and .025gap. Maybe some should look into their tune.
Some people use waay too cold of a plug and think it's their spark blowing out. When it's just their plug fouling.

And where is he going to find a 10 for under $500? I haven't looked so maybe they are out there.

My point is just like Daves. It's cool to work with a budget and not just write checks but stepping on your own dick to prove a point is really a waste of time and money. The OP needs to reconsider saving a buck to spend hundreds more later.

He needs a mag. At least a Pro Mag 20. And if he finds a 44 for the right price I'd get that. It won't hurt a thing to have enough ignition.
vht

Post by vht »

There was a guy I dealt with a couple times, he rebuilt mags and done a lot of injection work. I think his name was Skip Miller, maybe someone on here knows. He was a really good guy to deal with and knew his stuff.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

[

May want to check around over at insidetopalcohol.com
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

How did the old Model T buzz boxes work?

Will one of them configured the right way to fire a modern engine work in an application like this?

Just asking, don't have a clue??

pdq67
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Hwo sell/ make mags these days? Looked through MSD/ Mallory- didn't find anythng, haowever this guy http://www.huntmagnetos.com/products/h- ... gneto.html have them.

Looking at converting to a "proper" drag car- more or less batteryless, mech fuel pump, mag, and maybe even mech injection.... All New Tech to me.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

MSD 6014 box and junkyard D585 coils? Might get you there, might not. About as close as you'll get to that target price I think.
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
CCA Racing Products - Torque Plates and Engine Rebuild Tooling
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

vht wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:25 pm There was a guy I dealt with a couple times, he rebuilt mags and done a lot of injection work. I think his name was Skip Miller, maybe someone on here knows. He was a really good guy to deal with and knew his stuff.
Spud Miller http://fuelinjectionent.com/ I have had him rebuild/update my mags as well as flow injection pumps and nozzles for me. He has always been honest and fair. Two thumbs up from me. Give him a call and he might be able to help you understand what you might need and how to get there with a used mag, MSD or Mallory.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

FC-Pilot wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:30 pm
vht wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:25 pm There was a guy I dealt with a couple times, he rebuilt mags and done a lot of injection work. I think his name was Skip Miller, maybe someone on here knows. He was a really good guy to deal with and knew his stuff.
Spud Miller http://fuelinjectionent.com/ I have had him rebuild/update my mags as well as flow injection pumps and nozzles for me. He has always been honest and fair. Two thumbs up from me. Give him a call and he might be able to help you understand what you might need and how to get there with a used mag, MSD or Mallory.

Paul

There is some quality info on the Spud Miller web site. He has some great videos and tech there.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Interesting pdq67,, the 'T buzz box' had trembler coils supplying sparks over a number of degrees of crank rotation to ensure combustion with minimal misfires and facilitate hand crank starting ,not to dissimilar to today's multi spark ignitions ,,,but its spark energy was not high ,as one of its power supply functions was 4 dry cell battery's ,after starting it could be switched over to magneto,which was still not very powerful by today's standards.

What criteria was used to arrive at a $500 budget ceiling on the ignition? i have worked within planned budgets for years ,rarely one will come along that covers ideal costs only, without consideration of outcome.

Regards.
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

This is not from my personal experience, but from nostalgia racer Jerry Dawson. Jerry ran a 392 Chrysler powered fuel dragster during the 60's using a period magneto to light the fire. A few years ago, he put the old Chrysler in an altered car and used a modern MSD ignition on the old engine. Jerry told me that change allowed him to put 2 1/2 times the amount of nitro through the engine than he could with the old mags. I did witness the altered car running and it "boomed" like a modern fuel dragster. The engine blew on its 2500 run!!!!! Google "Dawson's Demon".
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Any way to control them... rev limit, timing retard ect..?

I think you have the answer to your magneto question, however the other part of the equation may be the limiting factor....
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

shoedoos wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:52 pm Any way to control them... rev limit, timing retard ect..?
yes
https://www.msdperformance.com/products/magnetos/
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

So much for the $500..LOL
GURU is only a name.
Adam
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:26 am [

May want to check around over at insidetopalcohol.com
No need to, according to some people you can't light it off without a mag. He's wasting his time that site..lol