Crankcase evac

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert
Crankcase evac

Post by redliner »

I plan on running a -8 line from my SBC old style Corvette valve covers to the one way valve on my header collectors. I do not wish to run the push in breathers but instead just the - 8 fitting. The shaft system acts as a baffle to prevent much oil mist from entering the line.Does this sound ok? I know most everyone runs the push in breather with the hose going to the header but for lack of a better word... ICK!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Crankcase evac

Post by Walter R. Malik »

redliner wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 pm I plan on running a -8 line from my SBC old style Corvette valve covers to the one way valve on my header collectors. I do not wish to run the push in breathers but instead just the - 8 fitting. The shaft system acts as a baffle to prevent much oil mist from entering the line.Does this sound ok? I know most everyone runs the push in breather with the hose going to the header but for lack of a better word... ICK!
As long as there is some way to keep oil from entering the vacuum hose, it will be OK.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 am
redliner wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 pm I plan on running a -8 line from my SBC old style Corvette valve covers to the one way valve on my header collectors. I do not wish to run the push in breathers but instead just the - 8 fitting. The shaft system acts as a baffle to prevent much oil mist from entering the line.Does this sound ok? I know most everyone runs the push in breather with the hose going to the header but for lack of a better word... ICK!
As long as there is some way to keep oil from entering the vacuum hose, it will be OK.
Thanks!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The stock internal early Chev cover oil separators are better than most of the aftermarket offerings.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You know what is really ICK...its when a race car wipes out half way down the track cause of the OIL you spit out on the track every time you make a drag pass. Does not effect your pretty 14 sec car with the pretty valve covers but can kill the guy in the 8 second nitrous car. at 150+ MPH
Do your fellow racer a favour and make your pan evac system so it does not draw oil out the covers even if it is "ICK-Y" looking.

This is especially critical in a 1/4 mile drag track right after dusk when the dew comes out.
The oily track gets real greasy fast. The oil comes from cars. The life you save may well be your own.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Most pan evacuation systems use oil separators on the valve covers (although they do LOOk like breathers). Most of the ones you see are actually Chrysler OE separators from the 1970's. It is a good idea to use some sort of oil separator to ensure that your system doesn't pull oil out of the crankcase.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist