General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

sc2dave
Expert
Expert
Location: Los Angeles, in The People's republic of Kalifornia

Water neck bolts broke off.

Post by sc2dave »

While trying to loosen water neck bolts, the both heads broke off. Luckily there's part of the bolts still sticking out of the manifold. What's a good way to take them out? I've tried Vise Grips but no.I've tried spraying PB Blaster,nothing. Aluminum intake, steel bolts. 454
rfast racing
Re: Water neck bolts broke off.

Post by rfast racing »

Weld a nut on the bolt then put bees wax on it when hot let it cool a little and remove some times it takes a couple tries if it brakes off at or below the surface weld a washer on first and weld a nut to the washer i do this all the time especially on broken exhaust studs on ls heads
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Good advice there. Weld the nut then heat the intake and try and remove the bolt.
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

If that dose not work, file the bolt level with manifold, center punch the bolt, then start with with a 1/16" bit and drill a level hole, then step it up until you can pick the threads out.
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Get some clay and build a dam around the bolts...mix up some Alum with a little water. Mix throughly... Maybe 3-1...

Let it sit overnight... The bolts will be 90% gone in the morning
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
sc2dave
Expert
Expert
Location: Los Angeles, in The People's republic of Kalifornia

Post by sc2dave »

Krooser wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 pm Get some clay and build a dam around the bolts...mix up some Alum with a little water. Mix throughly... Maybe 3-1...

This Alum won't affect the aluminum?
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Here's a tip for drilling out a broken or seized bolt with threads sticking out. This works on parts that you can level and get in a drill press, though it could work by hand I've just never tried it. I drill out a lot of broken and seized bolts at work...unfortunately. If you have some thread couplers, they are basically long hardened nuts for coupling two studs together. Thread one onto what's left of the bolt, take the tap drill for the threaded hole and center it inside the coupling and drill it out...its that easy. Centers it on the hole perfectly and when your done you just peel the threads out like a helicoil. No step drilling, no misdrilled holes, just works. Got it down to almost a science now. I get the broken part, drill the bolt out, retap the hole and the assembly department usually says: "Your done already?" Yep...
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

cgarb wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:35 pm Here's a tip for drilling out a broken or seized bolt with threads sticking out. This works on parts that you can level and get in a drill press, though it could work by hand I've just never tried it. I drill out a lot of broken and seized bolts at work...unfortunately. If you have some thread couplers, they are basically long hardened nuts for coupling two studs together. Thread one onto what's left of the bolt, take the tap drill for the threaded hole and center it inside the coupling and drill it out...its that easy. Centers it on the hole perfectly and when your done you just peel the threads out like a helicoil. No step drilling, no misdrilled holes, just works. Got it down to almost a science now. I get the broken part, drill the bolt out, retap the hole and the assembly department usually says: "Your done already?" Yep...
Best tip I’ve read in a long time. Good one.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

DrillDawg wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 pm If that dose not work, file the bolt level with manifold, center punch the bolt, then start with with a 1/16" bit and drill a level hole, then step it up until you can pick the threads out.
Or grab a ez out. Last couple of times I backed the bolts out by hand after getting the hole drilled and engaging the ez out with a quick spin of the fingers. Unless they're still in there and tight, there shouldn't be an issue doing it that way.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
CharlieB53
Pro
Pro

Post by CharlieB53 »

The old white OMC Outdrives were notorious for breaking off bolts. Salt water boats were even worse. Patience is critical, torch the surrounding area almost to the melting point then touch the broken bolt with bees wax, or most any penetrating oil of your choice. Re touch it multiple times as it cools. Reheat and do it again. After a few times you can often turn the broken bolt out by hand, but be ready to center punch and start drilling but be very carefull as that alum is like butter if you get the slightest bit off center.

Like I said, PATIENCE. Take a break, come back tomorrow. It ain't worth screwing up the manifold just because you want to hurry.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Anyone notice the Chicom bolts coming in the past few years are much more likely to be a problem than the older OEM bolts? The import bolts are often so soft they were damaged upon assembly and just pop in half upon attempting to loosen. (The good news is they drill easier also.)

I've seen cheap exhaust bolts just pop in half from heat cycles. It happens with OEM bolts, but much less often.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

sc2dave wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:08 pm
Krooser wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 pm Get some clay and build a dam around the bolts...mix up some Alum with a little water. Mix throughly... Maybe 3-1...

This Alum won't affect the aluminum?
Nope...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

You will need to clarify what you are describing here. As it reads..nope.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
resurrectionjoe
Pro
Pro

Post by resurrectionjoe »

Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:27 pm

You will need to clarify what you are describing here. As it reads..nope.
This should explain it Dave.

Guy is hilarious, he does drop a few F-bombs and such so be careful who's listening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

So Alum is not aluminum. No more shorthand around here.

It's youtube so I have to ask.
Anyone ever done this with success?
IF so, how long does it really take?

Think I will stick with my TIG method for the time being.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."