pipemax

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

moparian

pipemax

Post by moparian »

How many guys are using pipemax software for designing there combinations ? I have a question for the educated as i am still learning .... I am working on a 422 cube small block mopar and im running the combo through pipemax and i am wondering about what volumetric efficiency setting to use ? After i input all the info for the combo i go to the calculate piston CFM demand and Cyl head CFM page and it says max velocity is at 73.4 deg and at that point i have .698 lift at the valve and 355cfm at that lift .. Now to make all the parameters match what i have here including lift at rpm choke and matching csa’s to what i have input 121 V/E is this correct ? thanks
LCaverly
Re: pipemax

Post by LCaverly »

Need more information , comp ratio , head flow , cam specs , bore ,stroke , rod ratio , etc it takes a very exceptional engine to achieve 121% VE .
This would be a question for Larry Meaux.
Len C
moparian

Post by moparian »

4000 by 4.100 bore 6.123 rod 12.7 comp 272/420 lobe cam 1.8 rr 355/255 with intake and carb at 750 which is net lift 1.53 rod ratio ,any other info you need ? thanks
LCaverly

Post by LCaverly »

Your 121 with the combination you have looks pretty close. Maybe somebody else thats familiar with pipe max will chime in.
Len C
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

i just saw this Post ,
but i gotta run to town

when i get back
i'll post about this
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

VE of 121% is most likely wrong. Look at the stored files in PipeMax and you'll see that Pro Stock engines have VE of 118%. There is a 900 hp SB Chevy engine with a VE of around 100%.

What heads are you using? Have you run the engine on a dyno or track? I don't know much about your engine but I doubt that it should be higher than 110% VE in PipeMax.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I had to use 107-110 on my 421 to get the dyno HP to match the P/M HP, it's a pretty mild combo.
Jim
mopar408w5

Post by mopar408w5 »

The heads are Mopar W7 the ower has sent them to me to be tidied up and so far so good see flow sheet attached
I think where i have made the mistake with the software is not having the intake and carb in place on the flow bench .. however i have since flowed the head with the intake only in place and have found only 2-3 cfm loss up until 600 lift then it starts to hold back the head to 340cfm i havnt touched the intake yet and in the mid lift area i have some turbulence to sort out
Any info would be greatly apreciated

Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

What are you using PipeMax for? Are you trying to design a set of headers or are you trying to figure out how much power it will make on the dyno or something else?
Andy F.
AR Engineering
moparian

Post by moparian »

andyf wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:21 pm VE of 121% is most likely wrong. Look at the stored files in PipeMax and you'll see that Pro Stock engines have VE of 118%. There is a 900 hp SB Chevy engine with a VE of around 100%.

What heads are you using? Have you run the engine on a dyno or track? I don't know much about your engine but I doubt that it should be higher than 110% VE in PipeMax.
the engine has been on a dyno and made 710 hp @6800 with 29 degree s of timing and pump fuel but then it stared to valve float the exhaust and discovered oil drain back issue as well that was all so we had to take it of, the head are a old w7 set i came across
mopar408w5

Post by mopar408w5 »

The motor when run on the dyno showed a VE of 106.5 in the software with the head flow in this sheet below .. the previous sheet i posted is for the same head after i have done some cleaning up and changed seat angles ....now at 73.4 deg crank rotation the program said i had 300 cfm @. 700 which is about bang on the money once carb and intake are fitted for the way the head is in this sheet.
The head with the intake installed is currently going 340@700 through the intake without the carb with that in the software that gives me about 116Ve

The reason for using this software is to use its paramters to tidy up the combo and design pipes so everthing works together
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

moparian wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 am How many guys are using pipemax software for designing there combinations ? I have a question for the educated as i am still learning .... I am working on a 422 cube small block mopar and im running the combo through pipemax and i am wondering about what volumetric efficiency setting to use ? After i input all the info for the combo i go to the calculate piston CFM demand and Cyl head CFM page and it says max velocity is at 73.4 deg and at that point i have .698 lift at the valve and 355cfm at that lift .. Now to make all the parameters match what i have here including lift at rpm choke and matching csa’s to what i have input 121 V/E is this correct ? thanks
i don't have enough information , i need :

Intake and Exhaust Valve Diameters

Intake and Exhaust Valve Stem Diameters

What was RPM of Peak TQ ... and how much Peak TQ ?

What CFM Carb ?

What was Exhaust Valve Lift and Duration ?

and What were Cam's LSA and installed Intake CenterLine ?

what were your Header specs ?

Posting your Dyno Sheet with LbsFuel/Hour and BSFC's would be great
MaxRace Software
mopar408w5

Post by mopar408w5 »

Hi Larry the
valve sizes are 2.15\1.625
cam is 274\282@50 .736\.736 @ 74.3 degrees atdc we have .698 lift
stem diameters are .341\.341
rpm of TQ peak was 5900 with 2 inch step 2 1\8 4 into 1 3.5 collector
cam Cl is 108 installed @108
attached is the dyno sheet but it has no relivent info which is handy and the as the head was run on the motor flow sheet and the latest flow sheet from today
Moparian owns this motor and I own the pipemax software and PTS flowbench and doing some tidying up of the heads for him
the Dyno is local to him
thanks
regards Mick
maxracesoftware
Vendor

by mopar408w5 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:58 am
Hi Larry the
valve sizes are 2.15\1.625
cam is 274\282@50 .736\.736 @ 74.3 degrees atdc we have .698 lift
stem diameters are .341\.341
rpm of TQ peak was 5900 with 2 inch step 2 1\8 4 into 1 3.5 collector
cam Cl is 108 installed @108
attached is the dyno sheet but it has no relivent info which is handy and the as the head was run on the motor flow sheet and the latest flow sheet from today
Moparian owns this motor and I own the pipemax software and PTS flowbench and doing some tidying up of the heads for him
the Dyno is local to him
thanks
regards Mick
did you happen to CC the Intake Ports ?? if so, can you Post Intake Port CC's and Exh CC's if you have that info ?

Also , you went smaller on hi-speed Air Bleeds ??
if thats a HP-9375 1050 CFM Carb on it , and Lambda's going richer ... but i calculate Plenum vacuum is going too high also ! ,
and with a Carb CFM restricting the Engine somewhat at higher RPM's , that could be the wrong move, that is, making the Carb go richer
at the same time its restricting Air into the Engine... its going to want more Air, anyway it can get it, even if it has to run leaner upstairs .

Peak TQ is low for the Peak HP amount
and there is not enough width or spread between Peak TQ RPM and Peak HP RPM, although it might make Peak HP RPM higher than your Dyno sheet ??
when you get the Engine sorted out ?

Headers look about right , but maybe Collector Length is wrong causing Peak TQ to be too Low and
not enough spread between Peak TQ RPM and Peak HP RPM
MaxRace Software
moparian

Post by moparian »

thanks ,the intake runner cc is 276 not sure on exhaust ,the carb is hp 9375 1050 and we was chasing it a little, but was found out it was pulling air from a cap on the nitrous spray bar had came off and developed a exhaust leak at the head .this is the first time i have used a dyno and the guy that runs it had never changed a air bleed b4 we are very green lol. we also discovered we needed a bit more pressure on exhaust valve it had signs of valve float which the dyno sheet seem to back that up with hp going flat .thanks for your help .