Danny Bee BBF belt drive setup....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

blykins
Guru
Guru

Danny Bee BBF belt drive setup....

Post by blykins »

First time I've used one of these with a BBF. I'm familiar with the Jesel stuff with SBF's, but they don't have a tensioner, and that's what my question is about.

Aside from the noticeable drag from the cam hub in the seal, I'm noticing quite a bit of drag when the belt is fully tensioned.

With the tensioner off, it feels like what it should feel like. However, if I add tension (CCW, per instructions with eccentric) equaling about .060", it gets noticeably harder to turn the rotating assembly over. This is just an assembled short block, no heads/valvetrain yet.

Is this normal?
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
blykins
Guru
Guru

Re: Danny Bee BBF belt drive setup....

Post by blykins »

Anyone?
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Sorry no experience with the Danny Bee in a BBF. Have used them on SBF with none of the issues you cited except for the excessive seal drag when compared to a Jesel.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

blykins wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am First time I've used one of these with a BBF. I'm familiar with the Jesel stuff with SBF's, but they don't have a tensioner, and that's what my question is about.

Aside from the noticeable drag from the cam hub in the seal, I'm noticing quite a bit of drag when the belt is fully tensioned.

With the tensioner off, it feels like what it should feel like. However, if I add tension (CCW, per instructions with eccentric) equaling about .060", it gets noticeably harder to turn the rotating assembly over. This is just an assembled short block, no heads/valvetrain yet.

Is this normal?
If using uncoated cam bearings and just engine oil as lube YES at low hand cranking rotating speed the drag felt is considerably more but seems to have no ill affect on a running engine.
Craig.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Yes sir, they are 60mm babbitt bearings.

It's just one of those things, when you're not used to the feel of something, you're not sure if it's right or not. I can't imagine what it would be if it's not right, but just wanted to make sure.

I've tested each individual component separately....i.e. bolted the cam hub to the cam through the thrust plate with no cam hub plate or seal, tried the cam hub inside the hub plate/seal on the bench, etc. I have .007" cam thrust clearance, so everything seems to be well within spec, I just noticed that drag when I put tension on the belt.
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Gotta wonder how much power that drag is costing, if any. :?:
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

blykins wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:04 am Yes sir, they are 60mm babbitt bearings.

It's just one of those things, when you're not used to the feel of something, you're not sure if it's right or not. I can't imagine what it would be if it's not right, but just wanted to make sure.

I've tested each individual component separately....i.e. bolted the cam hub to the cam through the thrust plate with no cam hub plate or seal, tried the cam hub inside the hub plate/seal on the bench, etc. I have .007" cam thrust clearance, so everything seems to be well within spec, I just noticed that drag when I put tension on the belt.
Cool, with everything else checking out OK you wont have a problem.
The difference with a tensioned belt over a chain is an odd feel. But in reality once the engine is running the load on the cam from valvetrain is the same and both the belt or chain are then loaded on the drive side and unloaded on the non drive side, the power required at the cam snout to turn the valvetrain is the same

In an incomplete build its just that the belt having some pretension compared to a chain or belt that does not is allowing you to feel friction at the cam journal that has no oil wedge in it
Craig.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Big help, Craig.

Thanks a lot mate.
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

No problem, cheers.
What will this engine be fitted into?
Craig.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

An early 70's Ford pickup, pulling a sled. Owner was a class leader until they changed the displacement rules.
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

blykins wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:08 am An early 70's Ford pickup, pulling a sled. Owner was a class leader until they changed the displacement rules.
Ah nice, hopefully this puts him back in the leaders shoes!
Craig.