General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

I was thinking about using E85 or alcohol,BUT

Post by oldhead »

I was thinking about using E85 or alcohol,BUT after reading,
Engine Masters Ep. 30 on E85 I have changed my mind. Besides it seems that there is only one gas station in 25 miles of Philly that sells E85. What you think Oldhead PS. The only Plus that I have for E85 is my 24 gallon fuel tank
Quicker then most
Amilcar
Pro
Pro

Re: I was thinking about using E85 or alcohol,BUT

Post by Amilcar »

There´s no disput, alcohol/E85 cools down things, cause it takes more heat out to evaporate.
On forced induction, chances of gains will be higher by obvious reasons.

If you run a carb, a highly modified one may suit the fuel demand but, partially throttle /street use , will be far from EFI.
Carb on alcohol/E85 is fine for racing, for street driving qualit, not the best choice.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

oldhead,
You first observation is correct about the fuel stations. The biggest issue is that the at the pump E85 varies widely from season to season and week to week if they sell a lot of it. Might be 85 one day, 75 the next. That's fine if you are EFI and not making serious HP.
For anything serious you want to buy E98 in a barrel or methanol which does not depend on a mix.
Or mix/dilute your own from E98.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

back in the days of blue Sunoco 260 at the pump we used a hydrometer to make sure someone did not make a mistake or cheat on what fuel we were getting.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

<Hi-jack alert!>
AIR, even set to 260 the low octane flow meter was moving and there was an unused octane 'window' at the right-hand end. The station nearest our local circle track had modified their pumps to access this '280' position and pump 100% high octane.
(Within months of me angle-milling the heads of my '70-1/2 Z28 to 12:1, they discontinued the good stuff... #-o )
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

As Dave mentioned the difference between stations would be a concern but the cost cant vary greatly as well.
But methanol by the drum from a fuel manufacture like VP or who ever would be a better option.
Up here E85 is more then regular fuel. When they 1st started the flex fuel deal here it was not even the right kind of alcohol they used methanol instead which created many issues but because it was a new thing they never considered it.
My buddy ran the station and we just got our race fuel there as it worked out to be much cheaper.
They charged at the time .23 cents/liter of what they called e85 but it was really just straight methanol and no gas blended with it.
There was many happy local racers back when they started the green fuel deal back in the early 90's that could buy there fuel at the local gas station :D :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Use water injection with low octane pump fuel.
Same thing in the end if you do it right.

They're not going to test anything like that because the whole thing is about product placement and ratings.

Even using 114 oct race fuel, that's not far off using straight toluene which is what was used in the early days of turbos and formula 1.
Last edited by user-23911 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

here in minnesota its still cheap, less than $2/gallon. I would check stations around every few weeks. But the smart thing to do that most up here do is to check it. Then fill up 30 gallon drums and keep them sealed for use. I would always run the carb dry and fill the bowls through the vent tubes with q16 if it was going to sit a few weeks. just helps with starting. old e85 doesnt light for crap if its been sitting weeks.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Use 50-50 water methanol injection for your blown street car.
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

Im in MN and e85 is a no brainer for me. $1.65 currently and even in winter it's still 80% ethanol. Its makes more power, runs a tad cooler and the throttle response is MUCH better.