GM 19328743 LS9 [C6 Vette head]

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
GM 19328743 LS9 [C6 Vette head]

Post by Dragsinger »

GM offerers the LS9, C6 Vette head new, CNC ported with Titanium intake valves for $810.00 ea. Does anyone have experience with this head?

NOTE: This is for a trailered, dedicated drag race engine, no street time, no small tire racing, a full-on electronics class bracket engine. The block will be a new GM LS3 with 4.070 bore and 4.0 stroke.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: GM 19328743 LS9 [C6 Vette head]

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Have you searched online for "ls9 vs ls3 heads", for example? You can find quite a bit of info just from that simple search. Differences between the 2, etc... From what I gather, it's similar to the ls3 head with a different cnc program and some other minor differences.

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=31922
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Not sure how and where you plan to race with a trailered car but you're in Texas and there are a lot of LS and LSX drag cars there in the south that are wicked fast and the level of competition is BRUTAL! You really need to decide ahead of time and focus on winning at that level and place. You won't be ultimately happy unless you do!
Set a goal, then see if your budget will support that goal and then make some honest evaluations of whether you can get there before you ever start building and spending money!

These are nice OK out of the box heads for a lower budget LS build but if the total power you can develop in your engine with these is not going to do what you NEED and want, why go there! There are quite a few aftermarket LS heads that will out perform these heads easily from, All Pro, Frankenstein, Slick Rick, Mast, etc. but they are a lot more expensive. SPEED COSTS MONEY, WINNING COSTS MORE, HOW FAST AND HOW OFTEN DO YOU WANT TO WIN!

There are a lot of great LS racers there in Texas, talk to some good ones and see what you need to spend and do and then develop your plan. Measure Twice, Cut Once!! JMHO

Sorry to be so direct and tough but seen to many go off half prepared and then drive themselves financially challenged and frustrated. Racing should be fun, don't go there!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

How durable is that titanium valve for a full on race car? Cost to convert to 12mm w/hardware or just go 1/2 inch? Seems like your trading cost in the wrong places for no real performance benefit considering your intentions. What intake are you allowed or considering?
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

tt 383 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:56 am How durable is that titanium valve for a full on race car?
Very. So are the hollow exhaust valves.

No reason to think this is a bad choice for a bracket car. A simple spring change (PSI LS1511ML or 1516ML) with a well-designed cam lobe, 3/8" x .080" pushrods, and everything else stock will perform & survive well up to about 8300 RPM.

COPO 350 NA & COPO 396 have bone-stock unported LS3 heads with LS9 exhaust valves, stock rockers, etc. 10-teen and 9.9x out of the box at 3300-ish lbs. Typical 410 CID bracket engine with LS9 heads, Hi-Ram manifold, good cam, good tuning should easily be 9.6x ET at about the same weight.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Anyone know anything about the CNC work or who did the original port work for GM?
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

I'm pretty sure that GM farmed out the CNC work to Ligenfelter.....it's pretty crude but does address the ports shortcomings profiling out the spring seat bump in the top of the port and exhaust ports are well done. The major shortcoming over a well done aftermarket CNC head is the failure to address the combustion chamber and the lack of rework there greatly effects having ultimate flow numbers for this head. The LS9 head like the LSA head is a 356 alloy which is much better than the 319 alloy of the LS3 head. The valves are Del West Ti intakes PVD coated and the sodium filled exhausts are nice pieces but putting a heavy roller spring on them might be of some concern. The locating dimples on the intake face are for the Eaton blower and in a different spot than the LS3 composite intake so if your running that it's something to be dealt with. For the price, your getting quite a bargain considering the quality hardware that the intake valves are.....I also believe the castings are subjected to the "hipping process" to eliminate chance of voids in them.....can't beat the price but combustion chambers could use some attention for ultimate flow numbers.....if anyone knows someone who would just CNC the chambers let me know.....
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

ZEOHSIX wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:04 pm I'm pretty sure that GM farmed out the CNC work to Ligenfelter.....it's pretty crude but does address the ports shortcomings profiling out the spring seat bump in the top of the port and exhaust ports are well done. The major shortcoming over a well done aftermarket CNC head is the failure to address the combustion chamber and the lack of rework there greatly effects having ultimate flow numbers for this head. The LS9 head like the LSA head is a 356 alloy which is much better than the 319 alloy of the LS3 head. The valves are Del West Ti intakes PVD coated and the sodium filled exhausts are nice pieces but putting a heavy roller spring on them might be of some concern. The locating dimples on the intake face are for the Eaton blower and in a different spot than the LS3 composite intake so if your running that it's something to be dealt with. For the price, your getting quite a bargain considering the quality hardware that the intake valves are.....I also believe the castings are subjected to the "hipping process" to eliminate chance of voids in them.....can't beat the price but combustion chambers could use some attention for ultimate flow numbers.....if anyone knows someone who would just CNC the chambers let me know.....
What would you want done to the chambers specifically?
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

to clarify, this is not a specific LS engine class buildup. I am an experienced racer and plan to build an LS series engine because I see the LS engines as the long-term future. Plus, I want to learn the requirements of the LS series. The engine will be 4.070 bore x 4.00 stroke, mechanical roller, adjustable valve train, Methanol carb.

It will be an electronic bracket race package and I race the bracket program at Texas Motorplex.

My research so far shows the Brodix LS 3 head to be a good option.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

CGT wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:10 pm
ZEOHSIX wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:04 pm I'm pretty sure that GM farmed out the CNC work to Ligenfelter.....it's pretty crude but does address the ports shortcomings profiling out the spring seat bump in the top of the port and exhaust ports are well done. The major shortcoming over a well done aftermarket CNC head is the failure to address the combustion chamber and the lack of rework there greatly effects having ultimate flow numbers for this head. The LS9 head like the LSA head is a 356 alloy which is much better than the 319 alloy of the LS3 head. The valves are Del West Ti intakes PVD coated and the sodium filled exhausts are nice pieces but putting a heavy roller spring on them might be of some concern. The locating dimples on the intake face are for the Eaton blower and in a different spot than the LS3 composite intake so if your running that it's something to be dealt with. For the price, your getting quite a bargain considering the quality hardware that the intake valves are.....I also believe the castings are subjected to the "hipping process" to eliminate chance of voids in them.....can't beat the price but combustion chambers could use some attention for ultimate flow numbers.....if anyone knows someone who would just CNC the chambers let me know.....
What would you want done to the chambers specifically?
Reproflie them like TEA or Chris Frank does to their LS3 CNC product to make for a cleaner entry into the combustion chamber....there's power to be had in properly detailing a combustion chamber.....
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

I did an upload to my dogs Facebook account on account of I don’t Fakebook.....anyone wanting to look at the GM LS9 head CNC details here is the link:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3 ... &source=56
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Content not found?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

I would suggest checking over before running.
valve seat runout
guides / clearances

these like many of the GM family have short-lived valve guides in the corvettes they come in.
attention to these before running should ensure good service life.

the holes in these heads are bigger, if you wanted to strengthen the clamping of the block to head joint, you can drill and time-sert the LS3 block to use the larger bolts/studs. If the heads will come off more than 2-3 times the time-sert is a good idea, the aluminum block threads don't hold up all that well.
too lazy to make power w/o boost
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Didn't the guide problem get fixed with a coating from DelWest?
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I'm not aware of any LS9 heads with guide problems etc. I've only seen the LS7'S messed up. Of course, there are a lot less LS9'S in the world than LS7's.