The Right Stuff?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

blwilliams
Pro
Pro

The Right Stuff?

Post by blwilliams »

Any one have any first hand experience in using the Right Stuff RTV in a methanol/alcohol sealing situation?
Will the alcohol dissolve the RTV?
I'm currently trying this out in a small quantity but am interested in long term application.
Small drip on alcohol container that can't be accessed to welded on.
Not replaceable.
I know epoxy will not last.
Just looking for any sort of alternative repair.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: The Right Stuff?

Post by Krooser »

Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Cris
Pro
Pro

Post by Cris »

The technical data sheet says it is resistant to alcohol. Gasoline is a no-no with TRS and more typical RTV's as well.

Here's a goofy video on exposing RTV to ethanol. Fast forward to the conclusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfW9NwM8IrM
blwilliams
Pro
Pro

Post by blwilliams »

Cris wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm The technical data sheet says it is resistant to alcohol. Gasoline is a no-no with TRS and more typical RTV's as well.

Here's a goofy video on exposing RTV to ethanol. Fast forward to the conclusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfW9NwM8IrM
Cris, thanks for the link.
I'm doing my on test as well.
I have smeared a sample of the Right Stuff RTV to the inside of a cup.
I let it cure outside in the sun for about an hour.
I have filled the cup with methanol and am letting it set.
So far no change to the RTV. The sides of the plastic cup appear to be softening to the methanol.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

It may take a long time for methanol to damage a right stuff seal. It is the best silicone sealer I have ever found and does not react to many more chemicals then reg. RTV does.
While it does adhere to most metals both ferrous and non ferrous Aluminum the adhesion can be short lived as the surface can hold alky as it does eat away at aluminum some times faster then you would expect depending on the grade.

What type of component are you wanting to stop a drip coming out of???

The reaction between silicone will be different between ethyl and methyl alcohol. Both are destructive in their own different ways.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Cris wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm The technical data sheet says it is resistant to alcohol. Gasoline is a no-no with TRS and more typical RTV's as well.
Right Stuff is a urethane, not a silicone. I have used it in gasoline with no problems.

That's a lot of why it can be such a bitch to clean up. Normal solvents won't touch it, the only way to really remove it is mechanically.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Have not seen a problem with alcohol.
That stuff works almost too well.
I had a TR manifold come in with the top refusing to be removed from the bottom.
Usually you can grab an edge and pop it loose.
Not so with this stuff.
After a head scratch I grabbed the propane torch and walked around the sealing edge until is was good and warm.
Then I got it to move a bit and got it removed.
The moral of the story is pick your fights when using Right Stuff.
Do you expect to have to do maintenance and the oil pan needs to come off.
This may not be your best choice.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
blwilliams
Pro
Pro

Post by blwilliams »

Thanks for all of the reply's.
My cup test so far looks good.
After 18 hours or so, the RS RTV has not changed in its feel or adhesion to the cup. No discoloring of the alcohol in the cup.
I'll let it go another day and if it has not changed I will attempt the repair.
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

I use it with E85 and no problems. Well, except getting things back apart LOL.
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
CCA Racing Products - Torque Plates and Engine Rebuild Tooling
Cris
Pro
Pro

Post by Cris »

The data sheet for TRS specifically states that it is NOT recommended for gasoline.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

We had a "problem child" fuel cell setup in a car that was a nightmare of leakage. Teflon dope, pipe tape, etc, nothing worked. Right Stuff kept the train of pipe thread fittings sealed. (I'd still like to know whose bright idea it was to screw the fuel pump directly to the fuel filter directly to the fuel cell! with a bunch of right angle adaptors and such!)

They also say it is no good for combustion. I use it to seal combustion. It works fine as long as the parent metal stays under 800F or so. It works great as a header gasket material but not so good as a collector gasket material, only lasts a few weeks there. Then it turns into a kind of gray ash.

I used my car as an experiment to see what i could get away with. I'd change the pumpkin in the rearend. No surgically clean and dry, no scraping, just peel the easy to get at boogers off, wipe it dry with a rag, apply a bead of Right Stuff, and it wouldn't leak. You do have to "push" it in with the caulking gun instead of just laying a bead over it. Reminds me of welding with flux core vs. MIG.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Cris wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:52 pm The data sheet for TRS specifically states that it is NOT recommended for gasoline.
I've search the Interweb and so far found three different safety/technical/ whatever data sheets for Right Stuff but no mention of unsuitability in contact with gasoline. Can you provide a link? Wonder if Grey, Optimum Grey, etc. is any different than Black?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I recall it as well.
There was a kind came in a cheeze whiz bottle, black in color, had some urethane in data sheet.
Not suitable for gasoline, I assumed primarily for water pumps. Wrong stuff for intake manifolds, I'll tell you firsthand.

"Right stuff" may be like permatex.....a brand and not a specific product? although that's kinda stupid.
Or, even more stupid name then

OR they have changes the formula....which may be so I haven't tried it in 8 years or more.

MOSt silicone sealant and tubing WILL not be "destroyed" by alky, but silicone is PERMIABLE to alky, so, in the case of gasoline, adding ethanol makes it worse, not directly.... but it lets the bad stuff in the gasoline attack it from inside out as well as just the surface, because it permeates the silicone and brings with it some of the gas :oops:
So actually, e10 gasoline may be more harsh than plain alky

Sources....my own "fuel" production, and Gates rubber company.
blwilliams
Pro
Pro

Post by blwilliams »

Thank you for all of the reply's.
My test with a smear of the Right Stuff in a plastic cup filled with methanol is holding up well.
After several days submerged the sealer is still pliable and fully adhered to the cup.
There appears to be no dissolving of the sealant or break down.
Methanol is still clear and still has its pleasant smell.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Cris wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:52 pm The data sheet for TRS specifically states that it is NOT recommended for gasoline.
TRS.gif
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!