General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: cast dart 165cc test head for novice

Post by Carnut1 »

B Original wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:00 pm
statsystems wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:07 pm Never use a radius on an intake seat, even if it flows more.

If you only test at 28 inches you won't learn much.

A flow bench is a tool. You can make it lie. Just because a port flows more on the bench doesn't mean it will make more power. See the first sentence.
Genuinely Interested in what you have to say STATSYS please teach. Want to understand how the radius affects differently from the flat cut 45 or where the radius comes up short. I always lap the seat on final prep this may soften the radius but not by much I am sure.
Radius under the seat is different than a radius seat.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

statsystems wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:07 pm Never use a radius on an intake seat, even if it flows more.

A flow bench is a tool. You can make it lie. Just because a port flows more on the bench doesn't mean it will make more power. See the first sentence.
Genuinely Interested in what you have to say STATSYS please teach. Want to understand how the radius affects differently from the flat cut 45 or where the radius comes up short. I always lap the seat on final prep this may soften the radius but not by much I am sure.

That 4556 cutter will flow almost as good backwards as it does forward.

I think the OP would help himself a bunch if he just stuck to learning how to flow test a head, do it consistently and learn to develop a port before he gets into measuring air speed and using all the other bells and whistles. You will get information overload right quick.

Also, the OP needs to KNOW that flowing in one direction and at one test pressure is almost a waste of time. Before I ever measure air speed I flow at different pressures and work from that.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

statsystems wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:53 pm

That 4556 cutter will flow almost as good backwards as it does forward.

I think the OP would help himself a bunch if he just stuck to learning how to flow test a head, do it consistently and learn to develop a port before he gets into measuring air speed and using all the other bells and whistles. You will get information overload right quick.

Also, the OP needs to KNOW that flowing in one direction and at one test pressure is almost a waste of time. Before I ever measure air speed I flow at different pressures and work from that.
True! knowing how to use the data is more important then having the data and will take years of testing flow vs dyno vs track... Rinse and Repeat.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

GARY C wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:58 pm True! knowing how to use the data is more important then having the data and will take years of testing flow vs dyno vs track... Rinse and Repeat.
Exactly! But how the hell can the op be expected to do all that and get his racecar back together within the next 2 years?

C'mon guys.. there's the perfect ideal.. and then there's the reality of what a newcomer can achieve in shorter order. Maybe just help fast track the guy towards improving what he can over what he had. From his other thread the car was already decent as it was, so why not help him make the basic and elementary improvements he was originally looking for to begin with?

That will get him near 90% of the way towards an idealized port design anyways. The last 10% will take far longer due to the ever increasing learning curve that will be involved to get there.
Last edited by groberts101 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

B Original wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:33 pm
Headguy wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:20 pm
B Original wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:00 pm I see in the second and third picture is where I would start. Do a 30 degree back cut on the intake valves.
why not back cut the valve to the same angle as the top cut for starts?
Huhh Back cut implies its the second cut on the back side of the intake?
Yes. As in if the top cut of the valve job is 38, the back cut of the valve is 38.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

B Original wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:43 pm In a moderately well designed port wouldn't you expect the flow to approach and sometimes pass supersonic as it goes past the seat section minimizing the shear or grab effect?
Seriously?.. on an intake port?

Please teach me how to do that!.. I have money!
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

groberts101 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:15 pm
B Original wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:43 pm In a moderately well designed port wouldn't you expect the flow to approach and sometimes pass supersonic as it goes past the seat section minimizing the shear or grab effect?

Can i have your money? I'm a little low on it myself. lol.... j/k
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Would you think at Mach a way to disrupt would be shear?
Goes back to a rectangle port intake on an oval head?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

MTENGINES wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:18 pm

You'll have to generate some crazy ass fake flow sheets and get me drunk enough to fall for them first! :lol:
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

groberts101 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:22 pm

You'll have to generate some crazy ass fake flow sheets and get me drunk enough to fall for them first! :lol:
I wasnt going to show you anything. i was just interested in the money. lol
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

MTENGINES wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:26 pm
groberts101 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:22 pm

I wasnt going to show you anything. i was just interested in the money. lol
LOL.. now you sound like my wife! That's what happens when you stay married to the same one for too long. :D
B Original

Post by B Original »

Hypothetical calculation If you have an average port speed in a 2.2 square area of 300 fps at .200 how fast do you think the air speed is flowing past the curtain area at .200 lift = about .64 square area ? 2.2/.64=3.44 so 3.44x300 fps is 1032 fps.
1X mach speed is 1125 fps. "near or past mach speed at the seat"? Not disputing you about the radius below the seat tho.

Not here to prove someone else wrong just presenting what I understand wanting to learn if I am mistaken so don't beat me up too bad :wink:
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

GARY C wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:12 pm
steve cowan wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:25 pm forgot to mention i have not checked a as cast port yet,have not checked the exhaust just wanted to share what i have at the moment.
i checked intake with no valve went 214
with the valve at 0.600'' went 217 cfm is this because the air went turbulent out of the seat area??? thanks
Did you put a valve in from the top to account for the stem or no valve at all?
Gary,
I turned the valve upside down, it didn't encroach past the bottom of guide, greased stem to stop leakage,
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

groberts101 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:10 pm
GARY C wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:58 pm True! knowing how to use the data is more important then having the data and will take years of testing flow vs dyno vs track... Rinse and Repeat.
Exactly! But how the hell can the op be expected to do all that and get his racecar back together within the next 2 years?

C'mon guys.. there's the perfect ideal.. and then there's the reality of what a newcomer can achieve in shorter order. Maybe just help fast track the guy towards improving what he can over what he had. From his other thread the car was already decent as it was, so why not help him make the basic and elementary improvements he was originally looking for to begin with?

That will get him near 90% of the way towards an idealized port design anyways. The last 10% will take far longer due to the ever increasing learning curve that will be involved to get there.
The way he is doing it, start with a baseline car, getting help on the porting and then retest and keep learning. Thats how I started, I couldn't afford dyno testing on top of everything else so i did what I could at the track and then just tried different things and learned from others around me.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:49 pm
GARY C wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:12 pm
steve cowan wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:25 pm forgot to mention i have not checked a as cast port yet,have not checked the exhaust just wanted to share what i have at the moment.
i checked intake with no valve went 214
with the valve at 0.600'' went 217 cfm is this because the air went turbulent out of the seat area??? thanks
Did you put a valve in from the top to account for the stem or no valve at all?
Gary,
I turned the valve upside down, it didn't encroach past the bottom of guide, greased stem to stop leakage,
normally you want the stem to go through as if the valve is in but it eliminates the valve head influence.
Please Note!