Ford FE combo

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chilly460
Re: Ford FE combo

Post by chilly460 »

I have a set of 2.09/1.65s I can use out of my Edelbrocks, so probably go that way as this is supposed to be a low buck deal.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

Have you considered using 45 degree intake valve seats instead of 30 degrees?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

If the stock seat angle is 30°, David Vizard developed a cutter for same that gives virtually the same high lift flow as a typical 45°, with substantially better LL flow: https://www.musclecardiy.com/cylinder-h ... ds-part-8/ I think Serdi (or maybe Goodson) has a p.n. for it.)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

MadBill wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:00 pm If the stock seat angle is 30°, David Vizard developed a cutter for same that gives virtually the same high lift flow as a typical 45°, with substantially better LL flow: https://www.musclecardiy.com/cylinder-h ... ds-part-8/ I think Serdi (or maybe Goodson) has a p.n. for it.)
Bill, im sure that the 30 seat described in the link would of course be better than the factory 30 seat in the FE but im thinking (and could be wrong here and happy to learn otherwise) that the design on the plain jane FE chamber would benefit a lot from a good 45 based seat cut due to the lack of chamber material to rework into a decent pressure recovery area.
Craig.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

In the topic of air flow on a head that's being ported, and in specific getting short turn work done to it you can not divorce the flow numbers be they high lift or low lift that your looking at by just looking at the valve job angles being used!

You need to look at the short turn and the valve job angles as one average arc or radius.

A 30 degree seat with just a deep 60 degree bottom cut on a FE head will make for real fat low lift numbers and no penalty in high lift flow if the short turn is shaped right, but you need to understand that a 30 degree seat in general works better with a 88% valve to Throat ratio which will limit the flow if your shooting to max things out and run with paper thin port walls ( porting stock iron heads) and a 90% valve to Throat ratio as with a 45 degree seat or higher!

The other issue that can creep in due to this large amount of low lift flow is reversion which can effect things as the stroke gets longer and the piston speed goes up.

Good effects are the motor holding onto peak hp longer .
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

I had the seat changed from 30 to 45 degrees on my Edelbrock FE heads. They gained flow above 0.300" lift and lost flow below it.

At 0.600" the gain was around 25 cfm. I say definitely worth if you have enough cam to take advantage of it.

JMO,

paulie
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

mag2555 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:17 am..
The other issue that can creep in due to this large amount of low lift flow is reversion which can effect things as the stroke gets longer and the piston speed goes up.
Would need reduced overlap vs. ideal for 45°..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
chilly460

Post by chilly460 »

plovett wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:44 am Have you considered using 45 degree intake valve seats instead of 30 degrees?
Yep, was going to use 45* angle if the margin is big enough to take the cut.
RamblerRebel6

Post by RamblerRebel6 »

This will be a 4.08" x 3.98" combo using block and crank I have on hand, block is already .030" and will get a fresh hone just to clean up . Crank will be internally balanced. ]
So basically what you have is a 0.030-over 410 cid engine which were optional in the big '66-'67 Mercury-only models. I think that's awesome. I have long suspected there was a lot of potential in that particular engine. Just haven't had the means to tap into it myself. Congratulations!
"Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity."--Roedy Green
chilly460

Post by chilly460 »

Right, it’s just a factory 410 combo really, and kind of cool being a Mercury combo going into my Marauder. Longer arm should work well with the heavy car.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

So that's the 428 crank in the 390 block...My dad drove a Mustang for a guy that was a 406, the 390 crank in the 428 block. That ran really well for what it was. I know they were factory engines but the 406 never made much sense to me...why not just put the 428 in?
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

The Ford FE was a medium block engine as opposed to a 385 series
Though Total Performance became the slogan in 1962
Ford never had the equivalent to Chevys HD or Good Guy
Parts to the average performance enthusiast until the beginning of the Cobra Jet
Program.Therefore the FE was really developed for NASCAR and later for the MarkII
drag racing inthe early 60s was a redheaded step child!
Dave B
LIGHT 'EM UP
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

Not official-from-Ford, no. But the Ford performance newsletters of the early to mid 1960s pointer buyers to Holman-Moody and Shelby, who sold some factory bits not in the regular dealer system. Then came... whatever it was before Muscle Parts.
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Do the 45 degree seat
Go ahead and do the 2.15 and 1.65 - they will clear on a .030 over 390
Or do the 2.090 and keep your existing (free...) parts...
You can buzz the exhaust down a little to +/- 1.620 on the OD if you wish to play safer.

500 cfm Edelbrocks are terrible, miserable, rotten, no good carbs - buy the 600s
The 500 looks like somebody stuffed a 7/8 socket flat side up into the venturi - no profile at all
They start out pig rich and once you get that under control midrange they become completely non-linear at high RPM
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

The needle and jet kits for the 500s are also 500-specific, and sometimes hard to get.