General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

benno318
Pro
Pro

lcd display on sonic tester

Post by benno318 »

hi everyone

my dakota instruments sonic tester, that i bought probably 12 years ago through goodson, had a bar or 2 out on the lcd display. makes readings very difficult.

last time i used it several months ago, it was fine. today, simply not fine... always store it with batteries removed. tried fresh batteries in case they were causing issues - no change...
the funny thing is, when you start it up, it reads 8888 correctly - so all bars should work. but when it goes off that initial 8888 to read anything else, its a few bars that are in the middle digit ie: ABC thou the "B" is the one thats affected.

any ideas, or anyone know if they can be fixed? i am in australia so much rather prefer to sort a local solution for freight reasons...

thanks in advance!
user-23911

Re: lcd display on sonic tester

Post by user-23911 »

Press down on the LCD with your finger.......it's often bad contacts to the glass that causes it.
benno318
Pro
Pro

Post by benno318 »

thanks, ill give that a try and report back
benno318
Pro
Pro

Post by benno318 »

no good i am afraid.

the funny thing is, like i say all four digits emit "8888" upon first startup so the lcd board must be ok, its just not reading when i need it to.

wish the cheapies were around when i bought this. i hate having $1200 sitting there that doesnt do what it is supposed to.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Last PRI I spoke to the reps at the Dakota booth. After talking to them I would send it back for service by them. I would most likely give Dakota a call, when I did I spoke to one of their engineers who was very helpful. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

I have a Fluke 88 that had parts of the LCD vanish. Mind you, they vanished entirely, even on the startup "everything on" display test., and even with a new battery in the meter.

Rubbing a pencil eraser along the contacts, and re-assembling repaired it to like-new, except when the battery gets low. A fresh battery restores performance now.

This has the advantage of not requiring shipping out-of-country, costs almost nothing, but does require disassembly of the device.

benno318
Pro
Pro

Post by benno318 »

i have sent an email to dakota, not expecting anything due to the time passed, but for example before i pull anything apart if they said send it to us and we will check it out, i might.

ill advise if i hear anything back - if not, ill have a crack at it... worst case scenario i buy a $200 china unit to replace it. wish they were around when i got this one!!