Freight broker/expeditor companies....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

blykins
Guru
Guru

Freight broker/expeditor companies....

Post by blykins »

Anyone have a freight broker that they've had good service out of for an extended length of time?

I switched to PPlusGlobal a little while ago, and haven't been happy at all with the experience.

*First engine was an engine going to Finland. I made the arrangements, freight company came and got it, and then I got an email from my contact saying, "You didn't disclose the correct weight of the shipment. The scale is showing over 1000 lbs."

This was a 428CJ in a crate, nothing special, probably 650-700 lbs.

My contact asked for an internet reference for the weight, so I randomly brought up a webpage that gave the weight for an all-iron FE engine and forwarded it to her.

I ask them for a picture of "my shipment" and they sent me one. It wasn't even my crate and I could clearly read the label on the crate and it didn't have my name anywhere on it......................

A few weeks later, I receive an email from them saying that I owed them almost $100 more because they had to use a lift gate to pick it up. I had to forward them the BOL, which clearly stated that I needed a lift-gate and that was included in the price, and there was no way I was going to pay the extra money.

*Second engine was a $50k pulling truck engine that I had arranged to have picked up this past Friday. I gave them 4 days in advance and as far as I knew, everything was taken care of. Friday rolls around and it's around 3:00 PM here and I haven't heard from the freight company. So I shoot an email to my contact at PPlusGlobal and tell him that the freight companies are usually there and gone before that time and I didn't have a good feeling about it. He responds back and says that he'll check on it.

He comes back with, "Freight company dropped the ball, they're not coming today. Is there any way you can put the crate in the back of your truck and take it to the terminal yourself?"

I need a new broker.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
resurrectionjoe
Pro
Pro

Re: Freight broker/expeditor companies....

Post by resurrectionjoe »

I've used these guys a few times after talking with them at PRI one year.

https://www.partnership.com/

Never sent a complete engine, Just fixtures and machinery and it all went well and I was happy with the price.

Another shop I do work for has used them also with good success.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I have shipped several complete engines all around the continental USA using "FedEx Freight" and a few times overseas with them using whatever broker they have.
Pick-up or terminal drop-off and terminal pick-up or address drop-off on the other end but, extra charges are known to you ahead of time for whatever type service is wanted.

The cost was competitive though not an issue but, the services are.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Check out yrc freight.
I ship stuff with them throgh work all the time.
Use them to ship a basket case motorcycle or rather a pallet case motorcycle to myself. Very reasonable.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

PM'd you.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
Flo
Pro
Pro

Post by Flo »

I have been using Caribex for about 10 years now:
http://www.caribex.com/
but mostly for full containers.

Rinekns suposedly does a good job as well:
https://www.cfrrinkens.com/

Greets
flo
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Don't use Schenker! I bought heads from Canada & got caught at this end with all sorts of fees/charges. Even wanted a fuel 'surcharge' for courier delivery to my place.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

FedEx Freight is always reliable.
cashscott

Post by cashscott »

https://www.wcshipping.com/united-kingdom

I've shipped engines and project cars over the years on and off to the UK with these guys and always had a good experience.
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

I have had good luck with FedEx and DHL. I sent a short block to Switzerland with no problem. I buy a lot of tools from Germany and zero problems with DHL.
Tom
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I am in Australia & buy a lot of parts from Summit, who offer a few different shipping methods, post office, DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc. I have found DHL the best for delivery times.
I have ordered parts from Summit on a Thurs night & they were delivered to my premises the following Mon morning.
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

Geoff2 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:36 am I am in Australia & buy a lot of parts from Summit, who offer a few different shipping methods, post office, DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc. I have found DHL the best for delivery times.
I have ordered parts from Summit on a Thurs night & they were delivered to my premises the following Mon morning.
When available I use the iParcel option.. Nearly half the price of DHL sometimes and I wait only 3-4 days longer to receive it.. Got some valve springs/retainers, spacer etc sent and it was 6 days to Australia
hpetew

Post by hpetew »

Brokers and expediters book the freight and then try to find a carrier to haul it. Truckload it's a pretty safe bet, ltl not so much.