How much CSA will be ideal

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

digger
Guru
Guru
Re: How much CSA will be ideal

Post by digger »

Erland Cox wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 am I have never seen a big port hurt torque and hp.
But this is on 4 cylinder engines where I can adjust the runner length for bet hp and totque.
I think that you are wave tuning the engine with port velocity on a single 4 barrel V8 engine.
A smaller CSA makes the wave travel back and forth slower so the engine tunes as if the port was longer.
With a bigger port it takes less time for the wave to arrive back to the valve so the engine can tune at to high rpm.
Intake valve open waves.

Erland
also on the engines you deal with you probably cant get aftermarket castings that are a lot bigger? youre probably restricted to what material is in there to begin with so you physically cant remove enough material to see the effect to any great degree
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

I also use VE as part of my calculation.

Stan

ab-csa-371.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Stan thanks very much for posting your chart there it confirms what I expected I needed about 3.2 3.3 mark
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:36 pm Stan thanks very much for posting your chart there it confirms what I expected I needed about 3.2 3.3 mark
Just go ahead and make it 3.5 and you'll get 125% VE. Or make it 3.8sqin and it'll be good for 140%VE.

If it only worked like that. :roll:

Rick
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

Rick360 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 pm
swampbuggy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:36 pm Stan thanks very much for posting your chart there it confirms what I expected I needed about 3.2 3.3 mark
Just go ahead and make it 3.5 and you'll get 125% VE. Or make it 3.8sqin and it'll be good for 140%VE.

Rick
I believe it was Jim McFarland that suggested you can add a bit of CSA on the intake to extend the useable RPM range (overrev) at the cost of some peak HP. I hear it is something dirt racers find useful.
- Paul
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Rick
L M A O

That is some funny stuff. Useless but still funny.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Rick
What does your data show?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

How do you even go about using that chart? Do you already know what ve the engine will have? or do you pick the ve you want and size it for that?

Rick
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Rick360 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:04 am How do you even go about using that chart? Do you already know what ve the engine will have? or do you pick the ve you want and size it for that?

Rick
If your asking me, I am chart retarded, I just see colored lines :) I am just curious what you guys have found. I am not sure what to make of VE, I have a dyno sheet for a 357 making 530 horse but only 400 ft lbs but producing 117% VE until the nitrous is tuned on and then it drops to 100% VE. and produce over 700 hp.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

If you take a high powered OEM engine that's tuned on SD, take a look at the tables in the ECU you might find that the VE is mapped at up to 140%.
If you choose the right engine to look at?

Erland Cox wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 am
A smaller CSA makes the wave travel back and forth slower so the engine tunes as if the port was longer.
With a bigger port it takes less time for the wave to arrive back to the valve so the engine can tune at to high rpm.
Intake valve open waves.

Erland
Changing the CSA changes the amplitude of the wave, not the speed of the wave.
In changing the amplitude you also change the frictional losses so the wave will also change it's decay time.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Changing the CSA also changes the average gas flow rate. That will speed up the overall wave speed in one direction while slowing it down in the other direction.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Rick, Stan's data on the CSA chart/graph i can assure you was not pulled out of thin air. I am sure that the data within the chart/graph was figured out (established) over the years thru trial and error (R&D) with engine combos. The VE calculation, the same way, it is based on Bore and stroke and proven combos (some of the engine pieces not mentioned but assumed to ideal like carb, intake, camshaft, exhaust system). I am not saying charts/graphs are 100% accurate BUT they for the most part pretty darn close, AGAIN....established on (been there-done that). :wink:
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

So if I have 220fps and csa 4 I'll make same power as a head with 350fps and 2.5csa ?
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

An honest question. Stan, do you race, have cars, or build engines, that you race or port heads? Just curious. This is NOT a dig either, so don't take it that way. Just a question.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Stan, you have 2.02/1.60 valve size listed in your chart?