Lateral VS Vertical??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

madmikeracing

Lateral VS Vertical??

Post by madmikeracing »

Piston Gas Porting, Lateral ?? vs Vertical? I have always used vertical Gas Ports, Just saw a article on lateral on you tube? Any benefits? To doing laterally besides probably a bit trickier to Machine Drill the Holes Bisecting the Top Ring Land. Wondering/? Thanx Guys
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Lateral VS Vertical??

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Race only engine ...? OR, multi purpose engine ...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 am Race only engine ...? OR, multi purpose engine ...?
What makes any gas port race only?

Why not both?
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Headguy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:41 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 am Race only engine ...? OR, multi purpose engine ...?

Why not both?
just a shot in the dark here.. maybe part throttle carbon buildup?
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

See link to Reher Morrison Tech article #22 on piston gas ports.
http://rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-22-t ... gas-ports/
- Paul
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

groberts101 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Why not both?
Maybe if your rings aren't working and guides are leaking, tune way out in left field. If you think that would be a problem then just do a lateral.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

pcnsd wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:46 pm See link to Reher Morrison Tech article #22 on piston gas ports.
Here is where I will get sent to jail again..

People, please stop posting other people's findings.. post your own findings. If the OP wants to Google someone else's claims. They can, people come HERE, to ask others. If you have no experience using either, then do not comment. Soak it up and don't spread it unless you have concluded the same or different. That is how misinformation is spread.

If people regurgitated the same BS over and over, it somehow becomes the truth. When the real truth is left behind. Because there are far more people without experience preaching against experienced people.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Headguy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:01 pm
pcnsd wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:46 pm See link to Reher Morrison Tech article #22 on piston gas ports.

People, please stop posting other people's findings.. post your own findings. If the OP wants to Google someone else's claims. They can, people come HERE, to ask others. If you have no experience using either, then do not comment. Soak it up and don't spread it unless you have concluded the same or different. That is how misinformation is spread.

If people regurgitated the same BS over and over, it somehow becomes the truth. When the real truth is left behind. Because there are far more people without experience preaching against experienced people.
Dunno.. maybe some hardened criminals belong in jail? [-X

The problem is not the quoting of HIGHLY RESPECTED REPUTABLE members of the racing community(maybe he was even a guest interview/speaker here at one time?).. it's the misinterpretation and use of those viewpoints towards using broader brush strokes across varying platforms and applications outside the scope of their original context.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Headguy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Why not both?
Maybe if your rings aren't working and guides are leaking, tune way out in left field. If you think that would be a problem then just do a lateral.
Right.. and likely why Walter asked for a specific application right up front.

As in a higher mileage street strip motor running a carb in traffic. Hell, even an EFI tune is far from perfect at every throttle angle and driving scenario 100% of the time. Everything's a compromise, ambient and engine temps, fuel changes, engine tunes(plugs) start to fade and stuff just plain wears out over time.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I would go with lateral gas ports just for the simple reason of the gas port is drilled above the ring in the ring groove which seems to help keep them cleaner then vertical which all the vertical ports I have seen are drilled above the ring
and not totally at the rear of the ring groove thus allowing more carbon build up to plug them [-X

Also most piston manufacture offer them in lateral for shelf stock sets which seems to be more popular then the old school vertical gas ports.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Why not both?
You got that right ... I have seen many attempts at piston top gas ports with "cruiser" and only sometimes "race" engines where at least half the gas ports in the top of the pistons become completely closed; as if they were never there in the beginning.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

I totally get this sentiment. I've experienced in many enthusiast type sports, one person does it one way and is successful, another tries it and is too, and before you know it, it has become gospel. The problem is there's no real scientific basis proving it, but it gets applied broadly as if it does.

I will say David Reher and everyone else I've ever talked to from RM has been very explicit and upfront scoping their advice. You generally won't catch then saying things to the tune of "this is how it always is". And I'd say when David wrote those articles he was trying to correct many the types if things myself and Headguy are referring to.

Just my $0.02.
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

Laughable nonsense!
Which is better, lateral or vertical gas ports. That is the OP's question which you have not answered twice. Thanks for the straight to the point input again. Per David Reher; If you can control combustion chamber oil then it doesn't matter which type you choose. I use lateral ports because I do not think my oil is well controlled and I don't have time or budget to pull down my motor after racing to see if the piston needs to be decoked. NASCAR uses lateral ports which was a big selling point to me due to the endurance nature of the racing. I have never used a vertical port so I can't say if they are better, but David Reher has and can... and doesn't.

Here is another link to a ST thread on the same subject line with thoughts from Big Joe, David Redszus, Stan Weiss and other inexperienced types. It also contains a link to same page :wink:

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8981
- Paul
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

I haven't done an a-b test but I have been running lateral gas ports in a 4.600 bore motor for around 5000 miles on the street. I based my choice on the Nascar's use of vertical in qualifying motor and lateral for the race engine.