50 degree valve seats in modern hot street builds: is it finally time?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert
Re: 50 degree valve seats in modern hot street builds: is it finally time?

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

GARY C wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:49 pm
NewbVetteGuy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:40 pm I'm almost afraid to reference the other "rule of thumb" thread, but I do want to ask: Are there any "rules of thumb" about how a cam recommendation changes with the move from a "typical" 45 degree set of valve angles to a "typical" 50-degree profile?

The other thread started looking at discharge coefficients and from this thread, we know moving to 50 degree profiles makes the discharge coefficients increase fairly significantly.

-Is there any sort of generalization that can be taken away between what's ideal for the cam for two otherwise identical motors with only the valve angles changed from a typical 45 to a typical 50? -I thought I saw some discussion that with improving discharge coefficients, the recommended LSA widened, but the other thread was just too painful to read for me to spend much time in it... -I could see you wanting to actually DECREASE the LSA with 50 degree seats to get more overlap to take advantage of the decreased reversion so I'm all sorts of confused...

Adam
In theory a 50 would make the engine see a smaller valve so the LSA would be tighter. For example Creasons EMC engine on a 45 would want a 108 to 109 but if you refigure it for a 50 it puts it in the 105 or 106 range. In theory.
That makes sense. I would've guessed that a 50 wanted the lobes closer together until I misread the other thread and got confused. Maybe I am starting to learn via osmosis on ST...

Adam
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:07 pm
GARY C wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:49 pm
NewbVetteGuy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:40 pm I'm almost afraid to reference the other "rule of thumb" thread, but I do want to ask: Are there any "rules of thumb" about how a cam recommendation changes with the move from a "typical" 45 degree set of valve angles to a "typical" 50-degree profile?

The other thread started looking at discharge coefficients and from this thread, we know moving to 50 degree profiles makes the discharge coefficients increase fairly significantly.

-Is there any sort of generalization that can be taken away between what's ideal for the cam for two otherwise identical motors with only the valve angles changed from a typical 45 to a typical 50? -I thought I saw some discussion that with improving discharge coefficients, the recommended LSA widened, but the other thread was just too painful to read for me to spend much time in it... -I could see you wanting to actually DECREASE the LSA with 50 degree seats to get more overlap to take advantage of the decreased reversion so I'm all sorts of confused...

Adam
In theory a 50 would make the engine see a smaller valve so the LSA would be tighter. For example Creasons EMC engine on a 45 would want a 108 to 109 but if you refigure it for a 50 it puts it in the 105 or 106 range. In theory.
That makes sense. I would've guessed that a 50 wanted the lobes closer together until I misread the other thread and got confused. Maybe I am starting to learn via osmosis on ST...

Adam
For some reason no one testing valve angles are willing to test cams as well, they just change the valve angle and draw a conclusion.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

GARY C wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:25 pm For some reason no one testing valve angles are willing to test cams as well, they just change the valve angle and draw a conclusion.
Said the guy who hasn't done ANY testing but has read a book with all the answers about cam selection. #-o

Get your wallet out and YOU do the 50º valve job and cam testing so it's done right. Make sure you buy enough cams to test everything.

Rick
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

Adam
IMO the seat is altering the flow at low lifts which is on the opening and closing side which leads me to believe that the LSA reqd wouldn't change but the ideal duration would probably be a little longer with the steeper seats.

Rick
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Rick360 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:15 pm
GARY C wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:25 pm For some reason no one testing valve angles are willing to test cams as well, they just change the valve angle and draw a conclusion.
Said the guy who hasn't done ANY testing but has read a book with all the answers about cam selection. #-o

Get your wallet out and YOU do the 50º valve job and cam testing so it's done right. Make sure you buy enough cams to test everything.

Rick
You want others to accept the conclusion of your testing but I am not allowed to draw a conclusion off of someone else testing?

It is possible to study others testing and draw a conclusion without testing your self... It's done in science everyday.

One thing for sure is that if you exclude it you will never know.

BTW I am not claiming one is better than the other I am only stating that from the test I have seen none of them prove to be conclusive.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Rick360 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Adam
IMO the seat is altering the flow at low lifts which is on the opening and closing side which leads me to believe that the LSA reqd wouldn't change but the ideal duration would probably be a little longer with the steeper seats.

Rick
Yep, makes the cam seem smaller.......
One of the advantages.........."in theory" anyway! Hahaha
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Adam

Rick
Smaller than what?

If the valve angle makes the engine see a different cam then wouldn't that conclude that a different cam should be part of the test?
Please Note!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

GARY C wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Rick
Smaller than what?

If the valve angle makes the engine see a different cam then wouldn't that conclude that a different cam should be part of the test?
Than what it is!
Does valve angle make the engine see the cam differently?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:13 pm

Smaller than what?

Than what it is!
Does it change widow area in relation to piston position?

What role does the cam play in an engine?
Please Note!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

GARY C wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:23 pm
Smaller than what?

Than what it is!

You didn't answer my question.
Explain "window area".
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

You were obviously leaving out valve "seat" angle. :?
Yes, it helps you have your cam and eat it too!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Than what it is!

Explain "window area".
The area where you hang your curtains.
Please Note!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

If the cam was correct for the 45° seat, it would seem logical that a couple of degrees more for both IVO and IVC could be required with a 50° one (and thus no change in ICL or LSA) to compensate for the reduced low lift flow.

This would be a good investigation for someone with a recent version of Dynomation or a similar/higher level simulation software program. m ke I believe is one Speedtalker with same..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

GARY C wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Explain "window area".
Dude, if you don't get it by now, never mind! [-X
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:06 pm
GARY C wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Explain "window area".
Dude, if you don't get it by now, never mind! [-X
If you conclude a partial test as conclusive I would have to say the same to you.

Should I have added that the curtain area is the area that covers the window and the terms are used interchangeably?
Please Note!