DLG-1: Dual Lambda (Air/Fuel Ratio) Gauge

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

kbr577
DLG-1: Dual Lambda (Air/Fuel Ratio) Gauge

Post by kbr577 »

Bought a innovate DLG-1: Dual Lambda (Air/Fuel Ratio) Gauge, the sensors keep going bad, the single afr gauge I had in before the Innovate never went through sensors, anyone run into this? trying to get through to them on the phone but no luck.
slo-svt
Re: DLG-1: Dual Lambda (Air/Fuel Ratio) Gauge

Post by slo-svt »

Sensor life is very dependent on fuel type. Leaded fuels eat up the bosch sensors really fast (I killed one in less than 100 miles on my NA street car) . Without knowing what your previous wideband was I would guess it had an NTK sensor. They are much more durable in all conditions ESPECIALLY when using leaded fuel.
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

They get killed by oil too.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

You MUST have the sensor mounted at least two feet from the exhaust ports.
kbr577

Post by kbr577 »

I had an AEM, and there mounted in the right location. Thanks!!
mfdcar51

Post by mfdcar51 »

I have the same problem with an LM-2, have a old LM -1 no problem ever, I think their new stuff is junk. Both units use bosch sensors
kbr577

Post by kbr577 »

I did get ahold of them, said they never heard of the problem, go figure.
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

Don't turn the sensor heater on before you start the engine.

Something about the hot heated sensor getting hit with some unburned (cold) fuel can break the sensor.

They're also supposed to be mounted on the top half of the pipe (same reasoning as above).
Ed
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

emsvitil wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:08 pm Don't turn the sensor heater on before you start the engine.

Something about the hot heated sensor getting hit with some unburned (cold) fuel can break the sensor.

They're also supposed to be mounted on the top half of the pipe (same reasoning as above).
Internet myths?

Wrong way round?

Isn't it that you're not supposed to have the sensor fitted if it's not powered up?

From here.
https://wbo2.com/lsu/LsuInstal.pdf
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

"Powered up" does not mean "hot". Knowing a little about how wideband O2s work, I am assuming that the sensors die if they are run without a controller to pull electrons from the sensor's test cell, since it is isolated, unlike a narrowband sensor. Those electrons WILL find a way out sooner or later, and when they make their own path, dead sensor.

I have noticed that the 4.9 sensors seem to be slower in response than the 4.2 sensors. Makes me really appreciate my LC-1, which the Internet will tell you is a horrible device that breaks all the time, but it's been good to me for many years.