4.3 2010 Silverado towing?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: 4.3 2010 Silverado towing?

Post by BOOT »

I tow strapped a friend's older 4x4 extended cab that was also trailering two jet skis with my 2009 4.3 4spd 3.42. It was just 55mph but it did a lot better than I thought it would and hardly felt like I was pulling anything. But the truck also will drop out of OD above 70mph w/o any load if I hit a slight hill on the e-way.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Question here: Do you already own the truck with the 4.3L V-6 or are you asking because you are looking at buying one??

If you already own it and you are towing lower distances around the mostly flat countryside of Alabama you are probably OK. If you are towing your trailer in other areas of the country with bigger hills and grades then just look at the truck spec. If it says 4,400lb maximum towing weights and your trailer and load are 5,000lbs. or so your question has been answered!

Towing always requires more torque from an engine, tranny, gear combination and at a lower rpm range.

So in my opinion and definite "Experience" get a V-8 gas or diesel with bigger 2000-4000rpm torque numbers and you will be happier and more efficient.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

mach1charlie wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:02 pm I tow with a 04 regular cab 4.3 5 speed 3.42 gear. Never use 5th gear, 215k miles still on original clutch. Truck only weighs 4000lbs. That's the real problem, it's easy for the load to out weigh truck.
Out weight the truck? like towing with a one ton truck rated to tow over 12000 pounds and the truck itself weighs 6500 pounds? The problem I found towing with my 03 Silverado 4.8 5 speed ,3.42 gears is starting off on a grade requires a bit of clutch slipping.. .backing up is worse. First gear is 4.03..The engine is a bit doggy off idle and I believe it's the nature of the drive by wire throttle body and a standard transmission....My truck is regular cab short bed, 2wd steel wheels, spare tire and stock rear bumper...4250 pounds on the scrap yard scale..
In the 1950's ,Tractor trailers had to deal with only 180 HP at best, I assume they had at least 400 ft lbs of torque with Diesels, but many were gas engines with less torque...The drivers in hot cramped noisy cabs rowed them along with compound gearboxes. Grades had long lines of trucks with engines flat out against the governor at 25 MPH....That wouln't fly today of course...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

No I don't own the truck.was looking to buy it. have decided to try and fix my old 88 up. Its just a trash truck but has a 350 in it. Just turned 300K.getting weak. My old 88 305 truck was almost at 300k. I don't use od when towing. Unless the tach is over 2800 rpm.