Chevy titanium valves

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
Chevy titanium valves

Post by Little Mouse »

How did chevy make the titanium valves in the ls 7 last long term. What did they use for seats and valves. Impression i get the aftermarket stuff wont last long term.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Re: Chevy titanium valves

Post by Frankshaft »

The titanium valves don't last in the Ls7's. That was/is a big issue with them, that and valve guides, especially the exhaust side. To make a ti valve last a dlc coated seating face, and a good copper alloy seat, Ampco bronze like brodix uses, moldstar seats, beryllium, or c.h.e.'s alloy works good. Just slapping a ti valve on a super hard steel seat, is usually not a good idea.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

The titanium valves don't last in the Ls7's.
Maybe Frank and the others experienced among us could define "don't last" for those of us who don't know but would like to learn. A daily driver LS7 could expect how many miles before valve problems? Does track use shorten the "don't last" timeline? What warranty did GM offer?

Sort of like the solid roller lifters "don't last" controversy. Obviously, it's greatly effected by cam selection, spring pressure and how much of the engine hours is idling and how much track use, among other considerations.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

PackardV8 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:24 pm
The titanium valves don't last in the Ls7's.
Maybe Frank and the others experienced among us could define "don't last" for those of us who don't know but would like to learn. A daily driver LS7 could expect how many miles before valve problems? Does track use shorten the "don't last" timeline? What warranty did GM offer?

Sort of like the solid roller lifters "don't last" controversy. Obviously, it's greatly effected by cam selection, spring pressure and how much of the engine hours is idling and how much track use, among other considerations.
I worked on one that was completely stock untouched. 30k on the odometer. Guides and valves were trashed, and probably had been for awhile.
D.B.O.

Post by D.B.O. »

Do the LS9 ti valves suffer the same fate as their big brothers? Hard to believe that DelWest didn't mention that little bit of info to someone at GM before hand.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

So Del West is the supplier for titanium valves that go into GM engines that call for them ????? Mark H.
D.B.O.

Post by D.B.O. »

DelWest2.jpg
name along with GM part number right on it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

WOW!!! I bet you Del West didn't ague too much when they got that deal from GM
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

D.B.O. wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:50 pm Do the LS9 ti valves suffer the same fate as their big brothers? Hard to believe that DelWest didn't mention that little bit of info to someone at GM before hand.
I would say yes. LS9's are just considerably rarer than LS7's. So you just dont hear as much about it.
dmartens

Post by dmartens »

CRN coated valve, copper infused seat. Works very well. Guides, now that’s another issue
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

dmartens wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:15 pm CRN coated valve, copper infused seat. Works very well. Guides, now that’s another issue
Powdered metal guides are a no no?
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

one thing for sure....one would not want to employ a valve seal that keeps the valve stems and guides ("TOO") dry with these question and considerations at hand. Mark H.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Has anyone tried the Durabond Killer B seats with Ti. valves??
I have a project coming up that should have beryllium Int. seats but they seem to be in short supply in the sizes I want and Durabond is out of the Killer B seats at this time.
Seems Dart made a large order a while back so I am guessing they want 1000's of them not a box of 12 kind a deal.
But the Durabond issue is in the works so stock should be good by end of july I am told.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors