Aluminum 409" W-series blocks - any experience?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GasNOil
Re: Aluminum 409" W-series blocks - any experience?

Post by GasNOil »

Jack Gibbs at 409 Chevy Performance in Willows, CA is another great source for 409 parts and 409 stroker kits.
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Re: Aluminum 409" W-series blocks - any experience?

Post by 67 Nova »

PackardV8 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:04 pm My machinist wants to build an aluminum 409" stroker for his '55 Chevy pickup. We've heard some of the early production blocks were pretty sketchy, but the quality has improved.

Any of you built any of these? What to watch for? What to avoid?

If you were buying the block and stroker kit, where would you go? Anyone direct with World Products or Bill Mitchell? (Yes, we know about Lamar Walden)

Finally, anyone know of a block and/or stroker kit sitting around which won't ever get built? Always amazing how much of that stuff ends up on a shelf in the back room somewhere.
Ok, I have a nice running 409 in my `61 CANADIAN Pontiac. See back in the day, the Canadian Pontiacs were rebodied Chevy Impalas and came with Chevy drivetrains. I bought mine off the guy who bought that Sherman stroker. He also has a BWR Alum block 511 inch stroker that makes some big power.

Minesa 474 inch pumpgas 9.0 or so compression, nicely ported 425Hp `690`heads, Eddy dual plane with 2 Eddy 750`s, and nice mild SR cam. Drag strip ET puts it about 575Hp in a 3200 car. He used a GM LS7 crank and had it turned down. I had a stroked 348 to 380 in the car before this and there was no comparison.

So depending on what you machinist is looking for/to do would be the direction I would go. The best driver/stroker/sound on a budget would be 409 crank in a 348 for 380 inch, cam it and possibly Eddy heads and intake. But if he wants power and isn`t afraid to spend, BWR block, get ahold of McQuillen in Le Roy NY for heads Z-12 and intake. Could get a serious pumpgas build and would have to be in the 700Hp range.

It`s all a matter on what he wants to do. just drive/cruise/show or make power and play.