General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: ls7 head sealing issue

Post by midnightbluS10 »

CGT wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:21 am
slo-svt wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:08 am I agree. The engine needs to come out and apart. I'm not confused I also have an single turbo 2003 Cobra. It runs on the tears of 5th gen camaro owners so I haven't driven it lately due to the scarce population of them in my area
Sounds like fake newz Chief! I'm out!

What does that have to do with LS7's on E85? <shrug>

So youre gonna talk shit and all this because of a username? And you guys wonder why people leave this place. Crap like this. This isn't yellowbullet.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

GARY C wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 pm Could the damage have had started prior to the E85, what fuel did you run before?
Before e85 the car ran on pump/octane booster and leaded 110. I had separate tunes for each with 4 degree less advance with the pump/octane booster. I mainly drove the car on the pump and raced on 110. I would guess the damage wasn't there before based on never seeing it smoke and how it was performing but anything is possible.
Newold1 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 am Just some observation from the pics. The pics show a deck that does not appear to have been even slightly decked for straightness and low spots?
The pics show you are using the stock factory Hyper-eutectic pistons. Not great choices for the upgrade performance levels you are working with. Check and deck that block and go back in with a better set of forged pistons and rings with correct clearances and use a good set of Cometics X gaskets and ARP studs. As for tune sounds like you have a good understanding there and the tune experts can help you get that right.
It was a stock bottom end engine so the deck is how it was manufactured by gm. Now that it has a cracked sleeve it will be getting all new stuff. Thanks for the input.
midnightbluS10 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:06 am
slo-svt wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:08 am I agree. The engine needs to come out and apart. I'm not confused I also have an single turbo 2003 Cobra. It runs on the tears of 5th gen camaro owners so I haven't driven it lately due to the scarce population of them in my area

So youre gonna talk shit and all this because of a username? And you guys wonder why people leave this place. Crap like this. This isn't yellowbullet.

My freind CGT and I poking fun at one another is nothing for you to concern you sensitive self with chief.
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

A smiley or laugh face goes a long way towards clearing up such misunderstandings... :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

slo-svt wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:08 am
CGT wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:58 am SVT? Looks like your not going to know more until the engine comes apart. Some of things mentioned in this thread make a little apprehensive about my own E85 burning late model vehicle. SVT name driving LS powered stuff, are you confused? [-X

I agree. The engine needs to come out and apart. I'm not confused I also have an single turbo 2003 Cobra. It runs on the tears of 5th gen camaro owners so I haven't driven it lately due to the scarce population of them in my area.
So that makes it better? Stay with the post Please..
GURU is only a name.
Adam
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

slo-svt wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:46 am
GARY C wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 pm Could the damage have had started prior to the E85, what fuel did you run before?
Before e85 the car ran on pump/octane booster and leaded 110. I had separate tunes for each with 4 degree less advance with the pump/octane booster. I mainly drove the car on the pump and raced on 110. I would guess the damage wasn't there before based on never seeing it smoke and how it was performing but anything is possible.
Newold1 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 am Just some observation from the pics. The pics show a deck that does not appear to have been even slightly decked for straightness and low spots?
The pics show you are using the stock factory Hyper-eutectic pistons. Not great choices for the upgrade performance levels you are working with. Check and deck that block and go back in with a better set of forged pistons and rings with correct clearances and use a good set of Cometics X gaskets and ARP studs. As for tune sounds like you have a good understanding there and the tune experts can help you get that right.
It was a stock bottom end engine so the deck is how it was manufactured by gm. Now that it has a cracked sleeve it will be getting all new stuff. Thanks for the input.

My freind CGT and I poking fun at one another is nothing for you to concern you sensitive self with chief.
I thought the something midnight did, I didn't know y'all were friends and wondered why Chad was being a di(k but the I remembered it was Chad. :)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

GARY C wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:59 pm

I thought the something midnight did, I didn't know y'all were friends and wondered why Chad was being a di(k but the I remembered it was Chad. :)
I dont know what to say............oh wait...Im out!
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

MadBill wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:32 pm A smiley or laugh face goes a long way towards clearing up such misunderstandings... :)
Thanks. I will keep that in mind for future posts.
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

CGT wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:46 pm
GARY C wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:59 pm

I dont know what to say............oh wait...Im out!
Like Sauerkraut!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

the sleeve crack I've seen a lot followed by the missing chunk of piston. The chunk gets trapped in the squish area and rocks the piston hard enough to crack sleeves. I doubt it was hydraulic'd.
I have some bent titanium rods, so they definitely do have some ductility before break.

I also have some sets of takeout good stock rods and stock pistons for LS7's if you end up shopping for some parts, PM me.
too lazy to make power w/o boost
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

A_VAS wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:47 pm the sleeve crack I've seen a lot followed by the missing chunk of piston. The chunk gets trapped in the squish area and rocks the piston hard enough to crack sleeves. I doubt it was hydraulic'd.
I have some bent titanium rods, so they definitely do have some ductility before break.

I also have some sets of takeout good stock rods and stock pistons for LS7's if you end up shopping for some parts, PM me.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I'm planning on building a 454. I have to get the engine out and get it over to the machine shop I use to verify he can fix the block and install Darton Sleeves before I pull the trigger on ordering parts.

Albert Einstein
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Be careful to verify all costs to equip your damaged LS7 block with Darton sleeves and make it a 454. Sometimes this can cost more than the cost of using a new LSX iron block from GMPP and the added 75 lbs in a Corvette seems like sacrilegious but remember the factory LS7 blocks were only rated for 640-650 HP max and that was before the weakening of cutting them bigger for Darton 454 size sleeves! If you plan on going over 650HP I would say go with the iron LSX block and the extra 75lbs and use a block that can take 2000HP. why do you think they build the COPO drag Camaros with LSX iron blocks. It's because that is what it takes to get to higher horsepower levels on bigger LS engines and MAKE THEM LIVE!

Lots of engine peddlers and shops will tell you they can build you a 700HP plus aluminum stock block LS 454. But then ask them to give you a full no questions asked warranty on their build. Their butt cheeks will tighten and their lips will quiver and out they will blurt "HELL NO!" its a performance engine HA! If you are going up there in power now or in the near future make sure what you do and spend now will keep it together and keep you from building it twice! :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:18 pm Be careful to verify all costs to equip your damaged LS7 block with Darton sleeves and make it a 454. Sometimes this can cost more than the cost of using a new LSX iron block from GMPP and the added 75 lbs in a Corvette seems like sacrilegious but remember the factory LS7 blocks were only rated for 640-650 HP max and that was before the weakening of cutting them bigger for Darton 454 size sleeves! If you plan on going over 650HP I would say go with the iron LSX block and the extra 75lbs and use a block that can take 2000HP. why do you think they build the COPO drag Camaros with LSX iron blocks. It's because that is what it takes to get to higher horsepower levels on bigger LS engines and MAKE THEM LIVE!

Lots of engine peddlers and shops will tell you they can build you a 700HP plus aluminum stock block LS 454. But then ask them to give you a full no questions asked warranty on their build. Their butt cheeks will tighten and their lips will quiver and out they will blurt "HELL NO!" its a performance engine HA! If you are going up there in power now or in the near future make sure what you do and spend now will keep it together and keep you from building it twice! :wink:
I am confident with my machinist. If he says the block is good to use then I will use it. The integrity of that block with darton sleeves doesn't bother me and should be plenty for what I'm doing. I recently tuned a z06 with diamond pistons, stock crank, rods, and block with an f1a procharger. It makes 16lbs of boost and probably close to 1000fwhp. This article is worth a read if you haven't seen it also http://samtech.edu/stock-eliminator-ls7/ . I would have trouble hanging another 80lbs on the front of a z06. The chassis works very well with its current weight bias. I doubt if it would stay that way with an iron block. Thank you for the input.

Albert Einstein
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

slo-svt wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:46 amBefore e85 the car ran on pump/octane booster and leaded 110. I had separate tunes for each with 4 degree less advance with the pump/octane booster.
If the previous timing setting was MBT you are over advanced on E-85. E-85 burns faster and MBT is usually a couple of degrees less advance not more.

If the previous timing was knock limited the story is different.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

Not a LS guy, but I keep thinking 30* is too much for a 13:1 engine on E85.

I've used E85 for years with different engines, crappy cylinder heads to fantastic, 30+ psi and never approached 30 degrees advance.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

n2xlr8n wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:48 am Not a LS guy, but I keep thinking 30* is too much for a 13:1 engine on E85.

I've used E85 for years with different engines, crappy cylinder heads to fantastic, 30+ psi and never approached 30 degrees advance.

Not sure where the 30 degree number came from. To clarify It was set at 27-28 degrees of ignition timing.

Albert Einstein