Oil for the fix....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: Oil for the fix....

Post by Krooser »

cjperformance wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:26 pm I cant handle the way Lake Speed/Driven make everything sound like a 2am infomercial :lol: , the web site, charts, vids... screams marketing machine.
Their stuff is good but their approach just turns me off. JMO.
Vis index doesnt even really matter, if you know your temperature range you pick by cst/vis to suit your min and max temp, the SAE rating then is purely a way to know which oil Vis range you want but only withing a particular brand and product line. We've been trained to look at x/xx sae vis range as a packaging choice but not many folk actually understand it, go to an auto parts store and ask the wandering sales staff meeting for an oil that has 189cst@100 & 20sct@212 , its fun! :roll: :lol:
It really would be great if oil were sold by Vis at 40C_100F / 100C_212F
Eg, from Chris' list, a Driven BR30 5W-30 would be sold as a "63/11" oil. Then a lifter company can say ok we need you to use an oil with less than X@100 & less thanX@212 and Joe Bloggs can go buy that oil no problems.
You could then also simply compare Vis of brands A,B , C etc directly off of the labels. If you want to know vis V's temp outside of this then yeah look up the PDS.
If you get the opportunity go to a Lake Speed oil seminar...amazing info without any sales hype...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

cjperformance wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:26 pm I cant handle the way Lake Speed/Driven make everything sound like a 2am infomercial :lol: , the web site, charts, vids... screams marketing machine.
Their stuff is good but their approach just turns me off. JMO.
Vis index doesnt even really matter, if you know your temperature range you pick by cst/vis to suit your min and max temp, the SAE rating then is purely a way to know which oil Vis range you want but only withing a particular brand and product line. We've been trained to look at x/xx sae vis range as a packaging choice but not many folk actually understand it, go to an auto parts store and ask the wandering sales staff meeting for an oil that has 189cst@100 & 20sct@212 , its fun! :roll: :lol:
It really would be great if oil were sold by Vis at 40C_100F / 100C_212F
Eg, from Chris' list, a Driven BR30 5W-30 would be sold as a "63/11" oil. Then a lifter company can say ok we need you to use an oil with less than X@100 & less thanX@212 and Joe Bloggs can go buy that oil no problems.
You could then also simply compare Vis of brands A,B , C etc directly off of the labels. If you want to know vis V's temp outside of this then yeah look up the PDS.
If you get the opportunity go to a Lake Speed oil seminar...amazing info without any sales hype...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

^^ im sure a actual seminar would be a big improvement on the youtube etc vids and web based stuff(well i would hope). Have you been to one? What sort of stuff does he cover?
As i said the product is good, no probs there
Craig.