Iron to Aluminum block/Burr finish to smooth

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Re: Iron to Aluminum block/Burr finish to smooth

Post by Ron E »

I don't doubt Frankshaft's results at all. No motive to make it up. I also don't doubt Larry Meaux's opposite results. So, as usual "it depends". Nobody is lying here. This ain't shop-class stuff. This is past one-size-fits-all answers. That's part of the fun of it.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Carnut1 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:38 pm
Frankshaft wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 pm
Carnut1 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm Shaft, nice job! Thanks for posting, I think the burr finish is worth considering on a more street oriented mill. Fuel prep from the mixers I think makes a huge difference here. If the fuel prep is good I don't think the burr finish would help. The question is you stated before that you did all burr finished work for years, after this test will it be all polish work? I would like to know if both ports and chambers were finished the same as well? Thanks, Charlie
I have never been as aggressive as this was. In a lot of cases I do a "smooth" carbide finish. I actually spend time on it, after roughing it out, and it actually looks really nice. It is faster than a multi step sanding process, with no mess. Some guys still want the "traditional" sanded finish. I will continue to leave a lot of heads with the carbide finish.

I also agree with you that I think if you have a carb with poor signal, bad booster design, tuned wrong, etc, that some areas in the intake may be better rough. I personally think this engine before, hated the rough finish and it was causing a wet flow issue, doing the opposite of what is believed to be a benefit from the rough finish.
shaft.jpgshaft2.jpgFound those pics you posted a while ago. Thanks, Charlie
Thanks!! Yeah. That's the port. The BBC heads, is more the "standard" finish. You can see the difference. The Ford head is much rougher, and the texture goes much deeper.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Ron E wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:43 pm I don't doubt Frankshaft's results at all. No motive to make it up. I also don't doubt Larry Meaux's opposite results. So, as usual "it depends". Nobody is lying here. This ain't shop-class stuff. This is past one-size-fits-all answers. That's part of the fun of it.
Exactly. I don't doubt his results either, in fact he is one the guys I look up to and respect the most. This post in no way is meant to try and discredit Larry or Darin. Another guy I have a lot of respect for in this industry, and always appreciate their input.
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

Thanks for sharing. The burr finish should have added hundreds of horsepower according to the internet. Of course there are no 100% absolutes in engines so you never know next time.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:18 pm Thanks for sharing. The burr finish should have added hundreds of horsepower according to the internet. Of course there are no 100% absolutes in engines so you never know next time.
I have never seen more than 20is HP claim at the most, 10 on average from most claims over the decades of what has been published.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:18 pm The burr finish should have added hundreds of horsepower according to the internet
Burr finishes are now even being added to the exteriors of components, for magic internet heat dissipation power.
Last edited by CGT on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

CGT wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:16 pm
WeingartnerRacing wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:18 pm The burr finish should have added hundreds of horsepower according to the internet
Burr finishes are now even being added to the exteriors of components, for magic heat dissipation power.
I remember a video of a news man interviewing a young boy about his winning soap box derby racer. The news man commented on the black paint and the kid answers that the black paint made it faster. The newsman laughed and giggled "How does black paint make it faster? The kid replies," Well the sun heats the paint and the paint heats the air, warm air that is touching the paint is thinner and has less resistance making the car faster!" The newsman choked.
For many years I painted my best engines black, Why? Same reason a pot belly stove is black. It radiates the heat better. Did it make more power? I don't know but I figured it couldn't hurt. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Burr finishes are now even being added to the exteriors of components, for magic heat dissipation power.
Only engine builders that KNOW there is power in burr finish do it... lol
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Carnut1 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:28 pm
I remember a video of a news man interviewing a young boy about his winning soap box derby racer. The news man commented on the black paint and the kid answers that the black paint made it faster. The newsman laughed and giggled "How does black paint make it faster? The kid replies," Well the sun heats the paint and the paint heats the air, warm air that is touching the paint is thinner and has less resistance making the car faster!" The newsman choked.
For many years I painted my best engines black, Why? Same reason a pot belly stove is black. It radiates the heat better. Did it make more power? I don't know but I figured it couldn't hurt. Thanks, Charlie
Charlie,
I believe Grumpy painted them Black at one time also.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

On a side note. Thanks Frankshat for this post. Hopefully it will open people's eyes. And slow the spread of misinformation.

And that is awesome power for those heads and valve size period!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Headguy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:40 pm On a side note. Thanks Frankshat for this post. Hopefully it will open people's eyes. And slow the spread of misinformation.

And that is awesome power for those heads and valve size period!
True that!
That's a good small block valve size! Lol
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Stan Weiss wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:39 pm
Carnut1 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:28 pm
Charlie,
I believe Grumpy painted them Black at one time also.

Stan
Well, I read and owned that book since the late 80's and could have gotten that from him. I didn't think it up but it seems logical to me. It may only be a quarter of a percent but I need that quarter of a percent. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

1.72hp/cube is no joke!
631-816-4911
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Headguy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm Only engine builders that KNOW there is power in burr finish do it... lol
FACT! IM OUT
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

CGT wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:22 pm
Headguy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm Only engine builders that KNOW there is power in burr finish do it... lol
FACT! IM OUT
:lol: